Labored engine starting-gctid802294

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labored engine starting-gctid802294

I have noticed my engine when starting has started to sound labored on the starter motor when turning over, initially when you turn the key it turns over the engine what sounds like barely enough to fire it into life, the same sound as if the battery is on its last legs.

I changed the batteries and still the same problem, however i have noticed that on the main battery bank switch, if i start the engine in position 1 with the left battery it does the same and same with position 3 if i use the right battery, however if i use the no.2 position which uses both battery banks it starts fine without any of this labored engine starting.

I checked the battery banks and both are at 13.0v so fully charged, its almost like it cant draw enough amps to spin the starter motor properly, i am beginning to think the starter motor is at fault or possibly the starter motor connections.

What do you think?

Check the ground where it attaches to the engine.
    Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

"Alaskanmutt" post=802295 wrote:
      Check the ground where it attaches to the engine.
      +1

Also make sure the starter motor connections are very clean and shiny. It sounds like a dirty electrical connection to me.

Mike
      2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
      2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
      2000 Ciera 2455 sold
      Redmond, Washington
      The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

Did you clean the battery posts? Or just check the voltage. The classic in my experience is oxidation on the terminals.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Had the same problem with my Port motor.

Laboring and showing the same symptoms you have described

Did all the checks as listed above.

New starter motor fixed the problem, and they are not expensive.

Once replaced motor spins over fine.

Comment

Thanks for the info people

Comment

Also check for corrosion under the insulation near the terminal ends. The corrosion has a way of working itself under the insulation. This may not be the problem, but if it turns out that your starter is faulty, this sometimes is the reason. If you install a new starter, it may start fine, but you still may have high resistance in one of your cables. Just don't want to see you have to replace the starter twice.
              Joel
              1987 3818 Hino 175
              "Knotty Girl"
              Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

"canoel" post=802309 wrote:
                Also check for corrosion under the insulation near the terminal ends. The corrosion has a way of working itself under the insulation. This may not be the problem, but if it turns out that your starter is faulty, this sometimes is the reason. If you install a new starter, it may start fine, but you still may have high resistance in one of your cables. Just don't want to see you have to replace the starter twice.
                +1 sounds like cables. Negatives most likley, look where they come together (engine block or negative buss) Sounds like when you combine batteries you start just fine, and you say the batteries are new.
                Dave
                Edmonds, WA
                "THE FIX"
                '93 2556
                Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                Misc. projects thread
                https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                X