1990 2655 Engine Upgrade-gctid396896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chriscoker wrote:
    Hey Folks, I have the above year of Bayliner 2655. It has the Merc 5.7 drive. These boats are notorious for being hard to get up on plane and not being real fast. I believe the engine is rated at 240 hp. All I am looking to do is get a bit more speed out of it so I can keep up with some of the newer boats. Being a car guy I see a GM 350 in the engine bay which should have many upgrade options. Has anyone tried getting a bit more power out of one of these.

Chris
    So, to answer your question - if you are 240 hp then you probably have a 2 barrel carb (or at least I am assuming you do) and if so, you can switch out that to a 4 barrel carb (and switch intake manifold) go to a K&N filter, make sure you are timed proper, you can switch out to higher energy discharge distributor and open your plug gaps slightly (some say this works, some say it does not - most racers use this type of systems).

As for the prop, switch out to a 4 blade "cupped" prop as this will provide some stern lift.

Just some suggestions.

YMMV

Comment

Jeff H wrote:
      So, to answer your question - if you are 240 hp then you probably have a 2 barrel carb (or at least I am assuming you do) and if so, you can switch out that to a 4 barrel carb (and switch intake manifold) go to a K&N filter, make sure you are timed proper, you can switch out to higher energy discharge distributor and open your plug gaps slightly (some say this works, some say it does not - most racers use this type of systems).

As for the prop, switch out to a 4 blade "cupped" prop as this will provide some stern lift.

Just some suggestions.

YMMV
      These are good suggestions, but incremental improvements only. He is still dealing with power delivery as his primary problem.

Frankly, I'd save the money and put it to a repower.
      Matt Train
      BOC Site Team
      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

chriscoker wrote:
        Wow guys thanks very much for all your comments. This is an amazing knowledgebase of enthusiats here. So it looks like the VP Dual prop drive is the way to go. Any suggestions where I would find such a drive? Boats that might have had it etc.

Chris
        Off the top of my head:

Cobalt

Regal

Larson

Possibly Chris Craft

SUNRUNNER!!!

I'd be looking for a nice Sunrunner that is rotting somewhere. Those almost exclusively used Volvo 290s, and the bigger cruisers used DPs. IMPs used Volvos too in the early 90s.

Its just going to take time. Also, you could hit eBay and start piecing together a drive system....transom shield, Y pipe, DP drive, etc... Rick can help you with what you need.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I would go with models after the 290 DP. The 290 uses the anchorage bracket, reverse latch, mid-size driven gear bearings, etc.

The 290A gets better, but still uses the anchorage bracket, reverse latch, mid-size driven gear bearings, etc.

I'd go with a C or later drive!
          Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:

Quite a few BOC members have installed the Duo Prop drive. Some as an add-on, some as a conversion, and several as a complete out drive swap-out.

Wayne Miller did a complete swap out with his 2850 that was previously a 460 KC.

Ken W. (aka KFWeisse) also owns a 2655 (earlier model), and did the conversion on his several years ago. He is very pleased with the performance gain that he realized without changing his engine.

Ken may be a good one for you to speak with, since your boats are very much the same.

Al (aka Latavin) also did this as a V/P addition on his 2850 CB, and I think that Tony's 2850 SB was a DP addition.

Member 74nisqually has also done the DP swap out...... http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu... post #3 here.

Mike C. (aka Gilligan) also did the DP as an addition. See post #11 in the same thread.

Our member Termlk did this also.... see post #13, same thread.

Tony (aka tonyiiiafl) also posted his results to that same thread.... post #12.

Ken (aka KFWeisse) chimes in on post #18 in that thread (the guy with the 2655).

Bill (aka Billbayliner) chimes in on post #26 regarding his DP-C1 drive.

SeaCruiser chimes in on post #34 with good comments.

Our member FamilyJewels also did this as an OMC conversion. No transom unit change.... just a conversion.

Many more BOC members have done this, but I'm not recalling all of them at the moment.
            Rick, how could you forget me? I was one of the first here on BOC to do the full-meal-deal on a wide beam 2655!

I am hurt!

Mike P
            The Bahamas
            Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Stratocaster wrote:
              Rick, how could you forget me? I was one of the first here on BOC to do the full-meal-deal on a wide beam 2655!

I am hurt!

Mike, that's right.... how could I have forgotten?

I remember a fairly good write-up, and some pretty darn good photos also. Do you know if we could still find that?

Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

Working...
              X