Going With 6V Golf Cart Batteries Instead Off 8D-gctid802025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going With 6V Golf Cart Batteries Instead Off 8D-gctid802025

Okay I am going to make the change. Take the bad 8D out of the starter position and replace it with the good 8D house battery. Then I will replace the house bank with 4 6v golf cart batteries. In my area Sam's is giving me the best price. Here are the specks on the batteries:

20 amp hour rate:215

5 amp hour rate:157

6 amp hour rate:156

Battery Electrolyte Composition:Acid

Battery End Type:Top Post

Battery Purposeeep Cycle

BCI Group Size:GC2

Contents:ONE EACH

Freight Class:65

Minutes at 25 amps:395

Minutes at 75 amps:105

Terminal TypeIN

Volts:6

With these hooked up as two twelve volt batteries and wired together to make one large twelve volt battery and my max draw is 6.5 amps, how long should I be able to go before I need to charge the batteries?
    Just love being on my 3870............Bill
    1985 3870
    Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
    Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
    Live on board full time.
    North Myrtle Beach, SC

Mmmmm is the current house battery a deep cycle or a starting battery. They are designed differently inside. The deep cycle is made to discharge at a slow rate like leaving a few lights on or running an inverter. Think marathon. The starting type is May to discharge quickly by delivering a punch. Think sprint. Not the cell phone guys, runners. There are so called hybrid that are supposed to be able to do both, but how well is a long subject and subjective. It works well for some, not so much for others.

A deep cycle not delivering the amps to the starter that it wants is hard on it, or so I'm told.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

The 8D is a starting battery. Should not have been used as a house battery. But it did a fair job.
      1985 3870
      Live on board full time.
      North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

8Ds are nice big old batteries but they're a logistical nightmare.

I prefer where possible to gang up group 24s, 27s or better yet group 31s for starting batteries and gang up golf cart batteries for house usage.

These sizes are much easy to move around, they just require some additional cable connections.

Required power, space, weight and budget are the limitations.

That is the way I prefer to set things but others may have different/better ideas...

Cheers.
        1995 Bayliner 3587
        Twin Hino 250HP
        Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

also consider some L16s
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

The answer to the question about the four golf cart house batteries is: Total amp hours divided by 1/2 divided by load. 430 amp hours at 12 volts divided by 1/2 = 215 amp hours divided by 6.5 amps = 33 hours. Remember that deep cycle batteries do best if not discharged below 50%. The run time will decrease with the age and recharge cycles of the batteries. Common golf cart batteries (lead/acid) have somewhere between 800 and 1200 cycles as a general rule. However with proper care and use I have seen them go quite a while longer than that. Maybe Doug (dmcb) will chime in on this as he also has considerable actual working knowledge of lead acid batteries.
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Thank you very much Mr. Darcy, you gave me the answer that I was looking for. When I am on the hook I charge from 8am to 10am and then from 8pm to 10pm. So the way I see it, that should keep the house bank of four G/C batteries in good shape. Is that right?
              1985 3870
              Live on board full time.
              North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

That all depends on the alternator output and how it is regulated. If you find in practice that works for you then that is what you need to do. Fully charged batteries (12 volt) should show about 12.7 volts. If they show higher put a light load like the 6.5 amp for just a few minutes and recheck the voltage. With good batteries it will settle back down to about 12.7.

Greg
                Newport, Oregon
                South Beach Marina
                Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=802036 wrote:
                  also consider some L16s
                  Two L16 equal about 430 amp hours total at 12 volts. They are 125 pounds each, and are not cheap at prices between $350 and $425 each. So cost and AH is near equal to using four golf cart 215 AH with the main difference being the L16 is twice the weight of a GC2. Personally I find L16 batteries require a second person to handle them. When I was younger...

Greg
                  Newport, Oregon
                  South Beach Marina

Comment

less cabling, better peukert effect, less space, longer lasting, thicker positive plate...

http://www.power-talk.net/l-16-batteries.html
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

I am slowly moving over to 31 series AGM batteries.

I currently have 2 AGM 31 series in the bow under the fwd birth, I will add one more this spring, and I have 4 27 series wet cell in the port aft engine room going on 4 years, next year I believe I will have 3 31 AGM batteries to replace the 4 27 series wet cell's.

I have 2 battery chargers 1 for the fwd and 1 for aft batteries. 2 separate battery switches.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

When I charge on the hook I use the generator. It also allows me to do some other things that I might need 120 volts for. My inverter runs to a power strip located in the area under the lower helm next to the refrigerator and that is the only thing plugged into the power strip. I am thinking about plugging in my laptop and a very low power audio amp to provide music to the bridge.
                        1985 3870
                        Live on board full time.
                        North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

I put a couple of Trojan L16 batteries in last year and could not be happier. http://www.trojanbattery.com/product/l16h-ac/ Starter, bow/stern thruster and generator are all handles by there own group 31 agm batteries.
                          Cheers, Hans
                          2007 Carver 41 CMY
                          Twin Volvo D6-370
                          Montreal, Canada
                          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=802066 wrote:
                            less cabling, better peukert effect, less space, longer lasting, thicker positive plate...

http://www.power-talk.net/l-16-batteries.html
                            I read the article cited. Having many years of real world experience with literally thousands of deep cycle batteries, the comparisons might hold true with the cheapest GC batteries one can find against high quality L16 batteries. From my real world experience, moderate quality GC batteries average about 800 to 1,000 charge cycle with reasonable care and a moderately priced charging system. Higher quality GC batteries last 1,000 to 1,200 charge cycles. When I knew the frequency of being recharged and the care of the batteries, it was pretty easy to predict how long in years they would last. Some only made it to around 2.5 years and others would last 8 to 10 years. All of them where running nearly the same loads for the same amount of time each use. Some were only drawn down 25% before recharge and others about 50%. You are right that there is less cabling. Well made and properly sized cables in each case will help run time and battery life. When the article mention a 100 pound weight for an L16 I wondered who makes one that light? The ones I have dealt with, mostly Trojan are 125 pounds. As far as peukert effect, it is not the individual battery being consider when combined into a bank. Banks of the same AH capacity, loads, and charging will have similar peukert effect. Like I stated at the outset this is from lots of real world experience and may not agree with theoretical best results where all is meticulously controlled and cared for. I should add that the PO had installed L16 batteries which lasted about six years. When I replaced them I went the other route primarily because I could handle them alone. I have nothing against anyone who chooses L16, J185, GC2 or any other battery. Each has their own reason for their own choice. I just took exception to some of the "facts" in the cited article.

Greg
                            Newport, Oregon
                            South Beach Marina

Comment

Bill,

If you are averaging 6.5 amp draw for a 24 hour period that would be around 150 amps. If you are only charging for 2 hours a day you might get 60 amps put back into the batteries, depending on the charger you're using. The original promariner 60 amp charger was normally split between the house, start and generator battery. On mine, 2 of the 4 charge outputs were connected to the house, so a maximum of 30 amps per hour to the house battery.

The best item I've added to my systems is a link pro to monitor the electrical health of my 12 v systems.

James
                              1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                              Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                              Lowrance Electronics!
                              Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                              Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                              AGLCA #8340
                              MTOA# 7469

Comment

Working...
                              X