X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson crankshaft pump rebuild-gctid801931

Hi all. I rebuilt my crank pumps...I did a video for those interested:

https://youtu.be/CCKpRJmMg40

There wasn't much info online so I thought I'd share.

Chay

Excellent video. Thanks for doing this. Where did you get the rebuild parts?
    Mike & Dixi
    2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
    Closed Cooling

Comment

Chay, given the condition of those bearings, you are lucky that those held together!

BTW..... those are very likely replacements for the old Jabsco OEM seawater pumps.

In your case, and if they matched volume...... your boat originally had the smaller volume Jabsco pumps installed.

The F5B-9 is the smaller volume pump, whereas the F6B-9 is the larger volume pump found on most BB engines.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Great video. Thanks.

IMHO, I would have cleaned up the outside and given them a nice new coat of enamel.
        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
        MMSI: 367637220
        HAM: KE7TTR
        TDI tech diver
        BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
        Kevin

Comment

[color]#000088 wrote:
          Chay, while these were apart, did you see any signs of thrust surface scaring, and were the impeller cams OK?

[/color]

"CptCrunchie" post=802149 wrote:

IMHO, I would have cleaned up the outside and given them a nice new coat of enamel.
          [color]#000088 wrote:
          Well, I'm sure that these will function just fine, but I do agree........ I would have bead blasted them and made them look pretty.[/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the oil seal was put in backwards, the lips of the oil seal were faceing out from that washer, on the tear down, and the flat side was facing up on install

look at 3:36 and compare to 15:12

Comment

"DEK" post=802345 wrote:
              Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the oil seal was put in backwards, the lips of the oil seal were faceing out from that washer, on the tear down, and the flat side was facing up on install

look at 3:36 and compare to 15:12
              It looks to me like he did it correctly...... but perhaps I'm not seeing it.

And by the way...... that is a water seal.

The other seals would be grease seals on the two sealed bearings themselves (total of 4 grease seals per pump).
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

might want to take a second look, there is definitely a grove facing up as he is tearing it down, then at 15:12 he shows the seal in his hand the grove is facing the camera, and then he flips it over and puts it on top of the washer, and as far as a water seal, its a rubber coated metal case seal, same as a oil oil seal rubber doesn't stay bent when you take it out with a screw driver, just didn't want him to get it put together just to do it over, not trying to be critical

Comment

Saw that too :whistle:
                  Dave
                  Edmonds, WA
                  "THE FIX"
                  '93 2556
                  Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                  Misc. projects thread
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"DEK" post=802436 wrote:
                    might want to take a second look, there is definitely a grove facing up as he is tearing it down, then at 15:12 he shows the seal in his hand the grove is facing the camera, and then he flips it over and puts it on top of the washer,

[color]#000088 wrote:
                    OK..... I took a second look and I now see that you are correct..... this seal has been installed incorrectly.

A single lip seal (like this one) functions hydraulically in that when pressure is against the lip side (the side with the lip tension spring exposed), any pressure aids in the sealing ability. With this seal being reversed, pressure will actually cause the seal to allow water to escape past it.

The seal that was shown being installed needs to be turned around! [/color]

and as far as a water seal, its a rubber coated metal case seal, same as a oil oil seal

[color]#000088 wrote:
                    These are small and are likely all composite.... (no metal casing)

No offense to you...... I was simply pointing out eariler that these are not being used as oil seals. [/color]

FWIW and FYI

I'm all for re-furbishing parts when needed. However, these are sometimes on sale at a very good price.

Here is a new F6B-9 (large volume) for $140. New housing, new bearings, new shaft, new thrust surfaces, new cam, new impeller, etc.

http://marinepumpdirect.com/johnson-pump-10-24915-01/

Here is an F5B-9 (std volume) that uses the very common and easy to find #1027 impeller.

http://marinepumpdirect.com/johnson-pump-10-24228-1/

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Hello 2850 Bounty, No offense taken, and to cfoss1, this was in no way a bashing of your video

it was actually a very good video, the only reason I mentioned this was to save you some extra work, very well done,

Doug

Comment

Working...
                      X