1988 2655 Ciera - Thru prop exhaust.-gctid801728

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 2655 Ciera - Thru prop exhaust.-gctid801728

I had started the engine with a muff and I never saw the water exit the exhaust in the prop, it was coming out under the lower exhaust bellows. the new bellows was on tight and the clamp was firmly seated. it is a OMC Cobra 5.7l. is the exhaust and water designed to come out thru the prop as a large outboard? The reason I am asking is that we have water that is entering the transom when docked. The bilge is cycling about ever 7 minutes for about a minute. Any suggestions as to where to look and what has failed. How does the two engine exhaust headers channel into the lower bellows? Pics of transom with engine removed.

Thanks
    1988, 2655 Ciera Sunbridge. 5.7L, OMC Cobra, 15x15 prop, W/ Camper enclosure.

Those are the low pressure exhaust reliefs. It will come out of there first, and at higher speeds/RPM it will come out the exhaust. On a Merc, there are exhaust reliefs at the cavitation plate too.

Nothing to sweat here, it's normal. It's also why the exhaust bubbles come out around the "OMC" logo at the transom shield at idle, and not huge bubbles from the prop like on a Volvo.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I'm not an OMC expert but your likely seeing the water exiting the exhaust relief ports, that would be normal while idling out of the water on the muffs. The water in the bilge "cycling every 7 minutes" is something you need to repair now! Could be time for a bellow(s) replacement or something more involved. Get down in there with a mirror and flashlight and see if you can find where it comes in.

Put your boat details in you signature.....year make model etc.......
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

First I'm not a cobra guy but you could take the exhaust bellows off and water shouldn't leak into boat. The water would go up the exhaust pipe to the water line. It does that anyway with the bellows on and at rest with engine off. So if exhaust is leaking out and water in I would suspect a broken seal between inner and outer transom. Looking at so diagrams it looks like a gasket in between. If the gasket failed I would be concerned as to why. Could be a transom issue. But again I'm not a cobra guy. I just looked at some parts diagrams and some part pics on ebay.

OK I see others with more experience are helping. But anyway you need to address the water leak. If your on a trailer you could put the plug in and put water in this bilge and look for water to come out. Just don't fill it up past the starter. Might give you an idea where to look.

Comment

Whoa, missed the water leaking part. Builderdude is right, get that fixed RIGHT NOW.
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

yup RIGHT NOW!
            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
            93 3058 sold
            92 2855 (day boat)
            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
            Longbranch WA
            Life is Good

Comment

Thanks all, Boat is out of the water, and on trailer. All bellows are new, sealed and clamped tight. When we got the boat the engine block was busted, it was not winterized. We purchased a new long block and changed it out. New bellows, Gimble bearing and shift cable was replaced, just to make sure. It runs great and preforms well. After the sea trials we put it in the slip to grab some lunch. when we came back the boat owner next to us said that we had a leak as the 1st stage bilge pump was cycling way too much. We checked and could see water running in around the steering arm, but could not be certain that it was not running in higher.
              1988, 2655 Ciera Sunbridge. 5.7L, OMC Cobra, 15x15 prop, W/ Camper enclosure.

Comment

Sounds like your steering arm is leaking...

On OMC, the steering arm is sealed from water by the gimbal housing to transom seal. If that's bad, it's very likely your transom is rotten, causing the seal to fail...hope not or the upper gimbal Oring.
                Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                X