Failed exhaust manifold-gctid801658

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed exhaust manifold-gctid801658

Reposting from my posting on the Facebook group, since this forum has all of the smart people

Not a good day went to dewinterize the beast. Discovered about a litre of water and antifreeze in the oil, again ... not sure if it's even worth trying to fix at this point.

Taking apart the engine now. Risers are off. The flappers are there and fine. The manifolds are still full of antifreeze, so there was no leak down.

I'm praying it's water pump and not a cracked block... I'm so depressed.

Since posting. I've confirmed that the port manifold seems to have been leaking around cylinder 6??? Not sure exactly where or how it leaks... guessing somewhere inside the manifolds? Is this fixable? Or do I need a new manifold?

Attached files

Crash Override
    1989 Bayliner 2455
    Ford 351W (5.8l) OMC Cobra
    Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]YRZjqTG4n0w[/video]
    Crash Override
    1989 Bayliner 2455
    Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

Comment

It could be a leak at the gasket between the riser and the manifold. However if you suspect the manifold or riser at all replace them especially if they have a lot of years on them. You could probably have them pressure tested. I'm having the same issue myself hoping it's the exhaust manifold.

I had the gasket go bad on one of my other boats and it darn near ruined the head because of corrosion. Ignoring a possible internal leak will damage your engine beyond repair.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

What were your steps to get back in the water?

"yachtman" post=801664 wrote:
        It could be a leak at the gasket between the riser and the manifold. However if you suspect the manifold or riser at all replace them especially if they have a lot of years on them. You could probably have them pressure tested. I'm having the same issue myself hoping it's the exhaust manifold.

I had the gasket go bad on one of my other boats and it darn near ruined the head because of corrosion. Ignoring a possible internal leak will damage your engine beyond repair.
        Crash Override
        1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

Sounds like it leaked into the engine during layup, was the oil milky or just over full with the water in the pan? When the oil has been drained and refilled do a compression test on all cylinders to get an idea of the internal health of the engine. If compression test comes back ok you should be able to do as yatchman suggested and replace the exhaust components with new and be on your way. If compression turns out to be not so great on the suspect cylinder then a leak down test can help you discover where the issue may be.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556
          Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

It's as builderdude says determine by compression test that for sure it's not a head gasket then replace the manifold as needed. You state it could be an intake. Same thing replace and use.
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

Firstly i feel your pain.

Pressure test the block, using compressed regulated air. Put air to the green arrow hose, block the red x hoses.

See below ...

If all is well and new heads , mani's, elbows, and or intake are all together, etc. i would drain the oil pan, change the filter.

I would add fresh oil minus one quart and the last quart would be ATF. Run the engine with water going to the drive say a hour, drain and replace oil filter.

You should be good to go.

Keep your chin up.

Question, this a raw water cooled engine, and how did you winterize ?

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I agree it's probably time for manifolds anyway. Look down the manifold and see if there are water tracks running down the inside where the joint gasket goes between the the elbow.

Another area overlooked on Ford and similar engines is the timing cover. The cover can erode behind the water pump and leak. Also the gasket to the block can fail and leak internally.

What type of cooling system do you have? Raw water, half closed, or full closed.

Comment

Raw water cooled. Fresh water boat.

Was winterized the old fashioned way. Muffs attached to a bottle of rv antifreeze.

Is it possible to do a compression test with the exhaust manifolds off, but everything else still on? Assuming we are talking compression of the cylinders here, yes? Or are we talking block / head gasket?

If it passes cylinders. Would it not be smartest to just replace head gasket? Or is that a risky move? I'd rather do the least to get her in their water, I've already sink four times my budget into her this season
                  Crash Override
                  1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

A compression test would be a good starting point. If the water/coolant was in the bottom of the pan and not mixed in the oil it may be a small leak while sitting up. The water goes straight to the bottom. Make sure to flush it out. Antifreeze is bad for bearings. A lot more than plain water.

Comment

How does one flush an engine that has no exhaust manifolds? fill it and just crank it a few times? Lol. Keeping in mind I have new impeller kits waiting so I don't care if I wreck the leg pump.

Also, I was aware of the weakness in the Ford vanes at the water pump. What I'm not excited for is removing the pump with the engine in the boat... any way to test that?
                      Crash Override
                      1989 Bayliner 2455

Comment

"tapy" post=801700 wrote:
                        Raw water cooled. Fresh water boat.

Was winterized the old fashioned way. Muffs attached to a bottle of rv antifreeze.

Is it possible to do a compression test with the exhaust manifolds off, but everything else still on? Assuming we are talking compression of the cylinders here, yes? Or are we talking block / head gasket?

If it passes cylinders. Would it not be smartest to just replace head gasket? Or is that a risky move? I'd rather do the least to get her in their water, I've already sink four times my budget into her this season
                        Ideally you should do a compression test on a warm engine. But since you have the manifolds off you could do one cold. Not the preferred method and the results may be skewed since the engine hasn't been run the season I would assume and most of oil has drained off the cylinders.

First I would examine the exhaust ports closely for unusual rust in one or more. If the engine hasn't been run this year I would pull the spark plugs and look for rust/water. Then crank the engine with plugs out and watch for water to come out off a spark plug hole. If you find any water all is not bad yet, it will give you a direction to pinpoint you investigation. Don't start taking things apart yet until you have a plan. Once you take things apart it hard or impossible to test things. At that point a lot of assumptions get made that may be incorrect and expensive.

I would not crank the engine until the plugs are out in case a cylinder has water in it. That could hydrolock the engine and possibly bend a connecting rod. Then a minor problem could turn into a rebuild or replacement situation.

Comment

"tapy" post=801702 wrote:
                          How does one flush an engine that has no exhaust manifolds? fill it and just crank it a few times? Lol. Keeping in mind I have new impeller kits waiting so I don't care if I wreck the leg pump.

Also, I was aware of the weakness in the Ford vanes at the water pump. What I'm not excited for is removing the pump with the engine in the boat... any way to test that?
                          For now don't worry about flushing if you've changed the oil. Concentrate on determining where the water came from.

I don't know an easy way to test the water pump and timing cover.

Comment

Depending on how time consuming it was for you to take the manifolds off and if it were me I'd go the cheap route because I have more time than money. I'd try new gaskets and then do a oil change and in a few hours drain the oil to see if there is any water in the oil. Gaskets are only vegetable, paper and metallic and can easily fail. The few manifolds I've seen that had a crack when heated up turned the oil into milk city.
                            Dan
                            Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
                            Claudia V. III
                            1988 - 3218
                            Gas Drives

Comment

Not to scare yout but winterizing the way you describe can be problematic. If the thermostat didn't open or open enough or for a sufficient amount of time you could leave unprotected water in the block. Maybe would account for why you have a leak in your intake manifold.

Still do a compression check k but with what you describe you could have more issues. By the looks of it the very least you do have an exhaust manifold issue. Either leaky gasket or worn out.
                              twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X