Main Circuit Breaker-gctid801567

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Circuit Breaker-gctid801567

1999 2655 Ciera. Any idea where I can find a replacement main breaker. The 220v is broken in the center and it's a real pain to coordinate setting both 110's at the same time.
    1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
    1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
    1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
    Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
    South Bay Marina

Something like this?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"Eyeman" post=801567 wrote:
      1999 2655 Ciera. Any idea where I can find a replacement main breaker. The 220v is broken in the center and it's a real pain to coordinate setting both 110's at the same time.
      That's not a 220V circuit breaker. It is a double pole circuit breaker. The reason it is a double is that the rules require breakers on the hot and neutral main lines coming to the boat. The rest of your AC breakers are single pole, connected only to the hot line.

If you are in the Seattle area, you may want to go to Fisheries Supply. They are also online as builderdude showed. If you are in the north Puget Sound, try Harbor Marine, in Everett.

BTW, you may want to add your location to your signature or profile.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Nice information. Does the shore cord bring 2 phases to the boat? I always thought we had 220 capability. Go figure.

Any idea where to find the 110 double pole?
        South Bay Marina

Comment

I'm betting I'm going to say this incorrectly, but, your shore power cord is single phase 120 volt power only. The cord is so large partly to keep anything short of a guillotine from damaging the three (black, white, green) wires.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Eyeman" post=806341 wrote:
            Nice information. Does the shore cord bring 2 phases to the boat? I always thought we had 220 capability. Go figure.

Any idea where to find the 110 double pole?
            [color]#000088 wrote:
            Whether 120 or 220, you will be operating on single phase current, so there is no concern for single -vs- three phase regarding your main circuit breaker.

Circuit Breakers protect against circuit over-loads via a pre-set AMP value......... not voltage values.

If your boat is set up for shore power, you will see either L1 or L2 being used for 120 vac, plus a Neutral and Earth Ground...... or both L1 and L2 for 220 vac plus the Earth Ground.

The same double pole breaker is used for either 120 vac or 220 vac

For 120 vac, L1 or L2 is on one pole, and the Neutral is on the other pole.

For 220 vac, L1 is on one pole and L2 will be on the other pole.

[/color]
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I'll pull the panel cover and have a better understanding, but do marina systems provide 220 to the shore cord plug? It sure looks like the breakers are 220V. If so, the 220 runs to the boat breaker panel and uses the neutral and ground as one.
              South Bay Marina

Comment

Much of the power system used on boats looks like more voltage that it is. Marinas in North America tend to have 120v in various amperage. Europe is probably 240v because that's the prevalent voltage for most appliances.

Look carefully at the flat face of your plug, either end. You should see markings that identify voltage and amperage. 15 amp looks like a normal three pronged household device. Above that they are insert and twist to lock of varying male and mating female diameters for 20, 30, and 50 amps. There are some marinas that have 220v in their 50 amp system to meet the needs of larger boats with air conditioning or laundry dryer, but much of the time the cable is plugged into a splitter that's connected to two 30 amp 120v circuits as would be the case on my boat.

If you own a mega yacht then you might get into huge power draws that require special Marina circuitry and fire hose size cables. Of course the crew would actually take care of this for you..... :lol:
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

I agree with P/C Pete. In my case I had a splitter that hooked to the 50 amp hook up at the power station on the dock and fed two 30 amp cables that hooked up to to two 30 amp inlets on the boat. Since I live on board I do use a lot of electric power. It got to the point that I was using to much power and my black wire going to the L1 main breaker was getting very hot. I put in a third panel and used a third 30 amp cable. Now my power lode is spread over panels L1, L2 and L3. This has solved my problem. I am sure there are other ways this problem could have been solved. But this setup works for me.
                  Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                  1985 3870
                  Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                  Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                  Live on board full time.
                  North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

"Eyeman" post=806421 wrote:
                    I'll pull the panel cover and have a better understanding, but do marina systems provide 220 to the shore cord plug? It sure looks like the breakers are 220V. If so, the 220 runs to the boat breaker panel and uses the neutral and ground as one.
                    Your boat is wired for 110 VAC and most marinas provide this. The main breaker at your boat will be a double pole breaker. Also, the breakers at many marina power posts are also double pole. This is why it looks to you as a 220 outlet.

Here is some good information:

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey...shorepower.asp

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/DIY-Shore-Power
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

"Eyeman" post=806421 wrote:
                      [color]#000088 wrote:
                      This will be somewhat redundant to what has already been posted.... just perhaps a different way of explaing it:

110 vac is a result of L1 or L2 (not both) and one neutral.

220 vac is a result of L1 and L2, no neutral required.

110 vac at dock side Outlet fitting will include L1 or L2 (not both), 1 Neutral and 1 Earth Ground.

110 vac at the vessel Inlet fitting will include the same.

One prong will supply the Hot (L1 or L2), one prong will suply the Neutral, and the prong with the hook brings in the Earth Ground.

220 vac at dock side Outlet fitting will include both L1 and L2, 1 Neutral (so that L1/L2 can be split off into 110 circuits), and 1 Earth Ground

220 vac at the vessel Inlet fitting will include the same.

One prong will supply L1, one prong will supply L2, 1 prong will supply Neutral (so that L1/L2 can be split off into 110 circuits), and the prong with the hook brings in the Earth Ground.

.[/color]
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Your "One prong will supply the Hot (L1 or L2), , one prong will supply the Neutral, and the prong with the hook brings in the Earth Ground" hit home. Thanks so much. My shore cord brings only L1, a neutral and a ground. Why have a double pole main breaker? Are we monitoring/protecting over currents on the hot and neutral legs? Seems silly (unless it is a GDIC).
                        South Bay Marina

Comment

Working...
                        X