Add-a-Battery Blue Sea system 7650 for inboard.-gctid801517

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add-a-Battery Blue Sea system 7650 for inboard.-gctid801517

Does anyone have a problem with Blue Sea 7650?

I have 2 on my boat they work great. The ACR is one of the best upgrades I've done. I have one for each have engine. I have 2 start batteries and when they are charged the ACR automatically switches to the house bank, allowing both alternators to charge the house bank.

With the add a battery you don't ever have to worry about switching to charge the house bank.
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

The problem is i just find out this system for charging both batteries i have, but i need some switch to isolate those house from start batteries. What switch i may add to isolate starting from discharge.?

Comment

I am not sure what your question is. If you connect the start battery with the house battery via an ACR, the batteries remain combined ONLY as long as an charging source (such as alternator or battery charger) is active to charge either of the batteries. When the engine/alternator stops or when the battery charger is off, the ACR disengages and separates the start and house batteries for each other so neither can discharge over the other.
        Retired, computer expert / executive
        Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
        Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
        D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
        [email protected]
        [email protected]

Comment

The add a battery switch is a on off switch only. You only need a on off switch for each bank. Mine is set up so that it charges the start batteries first. When the start battery reaches somewhere around 13 volts the acr switches to charge the house batteries. When the start battery reaches a state of discharge I think 12.3 the connection is broken and then only charges the start battery until it comes back up..

Don't trust me on those #'s but it's something like that. The connection is only made in the charging circuit. The batteries aren't actually connected. Once the primary battery is charged it switches to the secondary but not both. When the primary battery is low it switches back no longer charging the secondary but the primary.

To combine the on off battery switch has a emergency option where all is combined but you should never need to do that if everything is set up properly and functions properly.

The standard system you always need to switch the battery switch manually to what you need charged but the ACR does it all automatically thus you don't have to worry about switching or or forgetting.
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

Here is a link that explains what and how a ACR does what it does.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1366
            twin 454's
            MV Mar-Y-Sol
            Twin chevy 350's inboard
            Ben- Jamin
            spokane Washington

Comment

I want to use only house battery for illuminating the boat on the water over night, both batteries were fully charged and switch sets off before i put boat in storage.In 3 days i could operate trimm connected to house battery but start battery was dead.

Comment

Maybe i should change the switch to off, 1, 2, combined?

Comment

Operation

ÔÇó Turn all loads off before turning the battery switch to OFF.

ÔÇó Do not switch to OFF while the engine is running.

ÔÇó Open/Close CyclingÔÇòIf your electrical system is configured with a charging source that cannot supply the full load

current being drawn from the receiving batteries, an open/close cycling process can occur. If this cycling continues,

the second battery bank could eventually discharge even though a charge source is present.

ÔÇó The 120A SI ACR is not intended to carry starting currents. Use the battery switch COMBINE BATTERIES position

to combine battery banks for emergency starting.

Comment

Open/Close CyclingÔÇòIf your electrical system is configured with a charging source that cannot supply the full load

current being drawn from the receiving batteries, an open/close cycling process can occur. If this cycling continues,

the second battery bank could eventually discharge even though a charge source is present.

That is what probably happened.

Comment

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...le-information
                      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                      93 3058 sold
                      92 2855 (day boat)
                      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                      Longbranch WA
                      Life is Good

Comment

"Lap" post=801619 wrote:

ÔÇó The 120A SI ACR is not intended to carry starting currents. Use the battery switch COMBINE BATTERIES position

My thoughts on this weather an ACR is used or not:

I don't think combining a partially depleted house bank with a topped off dedicated start bank is the best solution for starting the engine weather it's an emergency starting situation or not. The selection should be dedicated to draw from the start bank only, there's no reason to waste away good strong voltage/amprage from the starting bank combining it to a lower house bank that will instantly draw it's voltage/amperage down.
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        '93 2556
                        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                        Misc. projects thread
                        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"Lap" post=801619 wrote:
                          Operation

ÔÇó Turn all loads off before turning the battery switch to OFF.

ÔÇó Do not switch to OFF while the engine is running.

ÔÇó Open/Close CyclingÔÇòIf your electrical system is configured with a charging source that cannot supply the full load

I think you are looking at the current requirement (120A) wrongly! Assuming you have a battery switch with "1/2/1+2/off" positions, the start current flows from the start battery to the #1 post of the switch and continues from the common post of the switch to the starter. This has nothing to do with the ACR. If you have an ACR and if the ACR is already in the combine mode (note, ACR will not be active until the alternator starts charging the battery, at which time the starter is no longer requiring any current!) at most, some of the required current will also come from the other battery, and it is that current which should be under 120A (continuous) or 320A (up to 5 minutes).

Good luck
                          Retired, computer expert / executive
                          Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                          Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                          D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                          [email protected]
                          [email protected]

Comment

Dead starting battery
                            Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                            93 3058 sold
                            92 2855 (day boat)
                            91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                            Longbranch WA
                            Life is Good

Comment

I used to have nothing as far as electrical flow control. One day I ran my house battery lower than I like by accident. After starting my engine with my good start battery and warming it up it switched the battery selector to all to charge the house bank like I always do (did). I thought I was fine and as we entered the harbor to leave my then 3 year old son reached over and turned the engine key to off.

When I went to restart the larger than start house bank was still dead and the house bank had suck completely dead the start bank.

I swore that would never happen again!!! Did I mention I was stalled in Victoria Harbor where the sea0lanes land. ? This was before there were sea plane lanes. Some very tense moments for sure.

Next boat twin engine with isolator I feel safe now. We'll not so fast

Some twin engine boats only have one start battery as did this one and a house bank.

It had an isolated but I thought I was safe. Not so I had been plugging into shore power at night and didon't know my house bank wasn't charging properly. My port.side start battery alternator took a dump so as I thought I was fine so I switched and you guessed it. Nearly dead house bankw and no alternator.

So no I have 2 acr's. Completely redundant each charges 2 respective starts and both charge the house bank. I have 3 banks I can feed from however never shall the 3 ever cross. Ever. I have on off stitches for each bank and no combino switches. I do however have in a very hidden place the emergency start switch. On a side note when the on off emergency switch has is off the boat isn't starting. It's completely seperate from the on off switches

It makes for a semi good theft deterent.

With the new system I have not had any problem with dead batteries ever.
                              twin 454's
                              MV Mar-Y-Sol
                              Twin chevy 350's inboard
                              Ben- Jamin
                              spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                              X