Lost 5 Quarts of Oil - Quickly-gctid396775

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost 5 Quarts of Oil - Quickly-gctid396775

My boat is an 1986 Bayliner 2860. Repowered my boat with a a 6.0L Marine Power in 2008 - Vortec Engine and has approximately 330 hours on it.

I am pretty good at watching my gauges for temp on oil pressure and etc. I just checked the gauges prior (within 15 minutes and pressure looked fine) I was coming into the harbor and an engine alarm went off, looked down and I had "0" oil pressure. I quickly shut the engine off and lifted the engine cover and a lot of oil was blown out on the starboard side (same side as the starter). Used the kicker to get the boat in the slip.

We looked carefully at the engine an it appeared the oil was all over the flywheel. This leads me to believe the oil came out of the rear main seal?? The boat does have two remote filters but does not appear to have an oil cooler.

Refilled the oil and I was down 5 quarts and no oil leaks out which makes me believe that the oil will only leak under pressure. Restarted the boat the next day after making sure the oil was full and the motor sounded good. Even ran the motor to the ramp where we loaded the boat on a trailer to try all solve the problem. A couple of questions,

1 - Can the rear main seal fail and leak oil that quickly? What cause a rear main to fail?

2 - Did not lose oil when I ran ran the boat at an idle to load the boat on a trailer, where else should I look to see for oil lose?

Thanks in advance,

Rod

Check your fittings for the remote oil filter. Friend had oil in the bilge and what they thought was a seal leak was a loose hose fitting.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Friends oil sender went he was at wot lost every drop of oil in a heartbeat. He needed a new engine.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Rod, regarding an oil pressure sender coming unscrewed or rupturing, I think that you'd have noticed your oil pressure gauge immediately.

rod123 wrote:
        My boat is an 1986 Bayliner 2860. Repowered my boat with a a 6.0L Marine Power in 2008 - Vortec Engine and has approximately 330 hours on it.

I am pretty good at watching my gauges for temp on oil pressure and etc. I just checked the gauges prior (within 15 minutes and pressure looked fine) I was coming into the harbor and an engine alarm went off, looked down and I had "0" oil pressure. I quickly shut the engine off and lifted the engine cover and a lot of oil was blown out on the starboard side (same side as the starter). Used the kicker to get the boat in the slip.

We looked carefully at the engine and it appeared the oil was all over the flywheel. This leads me to believe the oil came out of the rear main seal?? The boat does have two remote filters but does not appear to have an oil cooler.

Refilled the oil and I was down 5 quarts and no oil leaks out which makes me believe that the oil will only leak under pressure. Restarted the boat the next day after making sure the oil was full and the motor sounded good. Even ran the motor to the ramp where we loaded the boat on a trailer to try all solve the problem. A couple of questions,

1 - Can the rear main seal fail and leak oil that quickly? What cause a rear main to fail?

2 - Did not lose oil when I ran ran the boat at an idle to load the boat on a trailer, where else should I look to see for oil lose?

Rod,

1 - I would initially say no....., at least not to that degree!

There is no engine oil pressure directly against the rear main seal... only ambient crankcase pressure.

If this seal was to somehow come completely loose, then yes...., it would leak a substantial amount of oil, but not necessarily as a result of being under oil pump pressure.

2 - In many cases after machine work, the end cam bore is stopped with a soft plug.

The oil galleys are stopped via pipe plugs, and sometimes small soft plugs.

It's possible that you lost one of these. Been there/seen this!

Example of 1987 and later.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I looked at a boat yesterday started it up & oil poured out of the oil pressure gauge as soon as the engine was reved up. the sensor was leaking at the rear plate. not visable till you started the motor & reved the engine in neutral. so I would fill the engine back up & in neutral at the dock have someone advance the throtal while you watch for the leak.

Comment

Working...
          X