Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    FYI: the RACOR style fuel filters are now available through GLM, Sierra and Mallory. Same system, but with these brand names on them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Use a 10 micron and change it at least annualy. OMC is indeed different and has a larger threaded hole the the Merc. I have had good luck with the Mallory filter. Usually available for less then $10.00.

Leave a comment:

• captharv
    replied
    The racor spin on series is a much better filter/separator. In fact, when I got the 2452 home from the dealer, removed the Merc spin on and put in the Racor.

My last boat had a 5.7 Mercruiser with a rochester carb. I put a Racor on it when I bought in in 1986. I traded the boat in 2001. The carb had never been opened and was still going strong.

Made a believer out of me.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    2450SRQ wrote:

I need to know what the OEM filter part number or what the equivalent Racor or Sierra filter part number is
    IMO, the RACOR would be a far better choice.

I just looked at the Racor for OMC, and I see it http://"http://www.google.com/search...MC/Mercruiser, but I can tell you that the thread size is not the same.

Perhaps take your old cartridge with you.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Should be OMC 502905 or Sierra 18-7846 (21 micron) or 18-7946 (10 micron). I really need to go check in the boat for what I use and will have to do that tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    On the underside of the filter base will be the threaded portion for the filter cartridge.

Those threads are what you must match up.

As far as I know, the OMC threads are unique to OMC.

If you want to go with a more common thread size/cartridge, change the base to a Merc or Sierra style.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Correct Filter for Fuel Water Separator - OMC 5.7-gctid396774

Correct Filter for Fuel Water Separator - OMC 5.7-gctid396774

I am a new owner of an '87 2450 with a newer OMC carbureted 5.7. When checking things out, I noticed that the previous owner had bypassed the fuel water separator assembly, I suspect due to a clogged or water-contaminated filter.

The filter housing is OMC part number 124398 just like the one pictured here.

I need to know what the OEM filter part number or what the equivalent Racor or Sierra filter part number is so I at least have something that I can cross-reference to obtain a new filter. For $10 I don't want to worry about water in the fuel system ruining my day. Thanks.
Working...
X