Correct Filter for Fuel Water Separator - OMC 5.7-gctid396774

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Filter for Fuel Water Separator - OMC 5.7-gctid396774

I am a new owner of an '87 2450 with a newer OMC carbureted 5.7. When checking things out, I noticed that the previous owner had bypassed the fuel water separator assembly, I suspect due to a clogged or water-contaminated filter.

The filter housing is OMC part number 124398 just like the one pictured here.

I need to know what the OEM filter part number or what the equivalent Racor or Sierra filter part number is so I at least have something that I can cross-reference to obtain a new filter. For $10 I don't want to worry about water in the fuel system ruining my day. Thanks.

On the underside of the filter base will be the threaded portion for the filter cartridge.

Those threads are what you must match up.

As far as I know, the OMC threads are unique to OMC.

If you want to go with a more common thread size/cartridge, change the base to a Merc or Sierra style.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Should be OMC 502905 or Sierra 18-7846 (21 micron) or 18-7946 (10 micron). I really need to go check in the boat for what I use and will have to do that tomorrow.

Comment

2450SRQ wrote:

I need to know what the OEM filter part number or what the equivalent Racor or Sierra filter part number is
        IMO, the RACOR would be a far better choice.

I just looked at the Racor for OMC, and I see it http://"http://www.google.com/search...MC/Mercruiser, but I can tell you that the thread size is not the same.

Perhaps take your old cartridge with you.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The racor spin on series is a much better filter/separator. In fact, when I got the 2452 home from the dealer, removed the Merc spin on and put in the Racor.

My last boat had a 5.7 Mercruiser with a rochester carb. I put a Racor on it when I bought in in 1986. I traded the boat in 2001. The carb had never been opened and was still going strong.

Made a believer out of me.
          Captharv 2001 2452
          "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Use a 10 micron and change it at least annualy. OMC is indeed different and has a larger threaded hole the the Merc. I have had good luck with the Mallory filter. Usually available for less then $10.00.

Comment

FYI: the RACOR style fuel filters are now available through GLM, Sierra and Mallory. Same system, but with these brand names on them.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
              X