3288 windshield wiper pockets.-gctid801102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3288 windshield wiper pockets.-gctid801102

Hi folks I have recently purchased a 1992 3288. I noticed the small pockets where the heads of the wipers attach to the wiper motors have a hole in them in the upper port corner. My neighbors 3288 doesn't have these holes. It's odd to me that the holes would all be in the same corner but I can't help but think they need to be plugged. Can anyone give me some advice as I'm getting ready to run the boat up to her new home in Alaska. I'd say running into a good head sea on one of "those" days will push lots of water through those holes. Are there drains? There was a great article on Oct 16 2016 about replacing all the wipers with heavy duty adjustable blades and motors and I would like to do that. Can these pockets be replaced? Thanks in advance. MY Smitten

duct tape. no seriously how big are these holes? I have never noticed any on mine. If they are tiny could it have been a stophole so a crack didnt continue in the plastic?

I think I may have a few cracks in mine. It sounds like a wonderful trip.
    Dan
    Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
    Claudia V. III
    1988 - 3218
    Gas Drives

Comment

We are 1991. I will have a look tomorrow and take some pics.
      A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
      Blustery Day
      Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
      Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
      Purchased 23 February 2017

Comment

small holes where the heat could escape when the wiper motors are run continuosly?
        Dan
        Claudia V. III
        1988 - 3218
        Gas Drives

Comment

Seems like they were about 3/8's and right in the upper right corner of each pocket. I really have had wonderful luck with a product called Seal. I'm just not sure why they are there or if they should be plugged. Thanks!

Comment

a nice hole for the bees to build a nest.
            Dan
            Claudia V. III
            1988 - 3218
            Gas Drives

Comment

I replaced my complete wiper assembly last fall on my 1990 3288 and don't remember seeing the holes you describe. I'll look and get back to let you know if we have anything similar.
              "Scandia Lady"
              1990 Bayliner 3288. Twin 135 Hinos.
              Westshore Marina
              Gig Harbor, WA

*1975 Glasply
              135 Evinrude E-Tec mounted on an Armstrong Engine mount.
              Greater Puget Sound
              *1992 Ski Nautique
              351 Ford
              Lake Tapps, WA

Comment

I seem to have holes which have been plugged with sealant. I haven't poked into them, but that is what it looks like.
                A lifetime of racing everything from dinghies to world girdlers, but one of those lucky people who just love being afloat. So .... when the body doesn't work like before, it doesn't mean staying ashore.
                Blustery Day
                Bayliner 3288 Motoryacht, 1991.
                Twin Hino 150hp diesels.
                Purchased 23 February 2017

Comment

Is it possible that the holes are there for a fresh water washer nozzle that was never installed. A neighbors boat of a different brand has that same pockets with a small hose coming though for fresh water washer. Just a thought.

Greg
                  Newport, Oregon
                  South Beach Marina
                  1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                  Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                  Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

I keep thinking the hole was put in intentionally to keep the inside dry so the motor and linkage wouldn't rust up being enclosed like it is. The only thing that's odd is a weep hole would usually be drilled in the bottom instead of the top.
                    Dan
                    Claudia V. III
                    1988 - 3218
                    Gas Drives

Comment

I have a 1988 3218 and also have these pockets but the shaft of the wiper motor actually comes through the aluminum frame of the window. No holes in my wiper pockets either.

I took a photo with my cell phone under the shrink wrap so that's why everything is blue. The pockets are only because the top of the wiper protrudes into the sun visor of the front window. Could someone have ran some speaker wires outside?

Dan
                      Claudia V. III
                      1988 - 3218
                      Gas Drives

Comment

Was down at the boat yesterday. We have the same pockets on our 1990 3288 with no additional holes. Typical of Floatyerboat's photo on the previous post.
                        "Scandia Lady"
                        1990 Bayliner 3288. Twin 135 Hinos.
                        Westshore Marina
                        Gig Harbor, WA

*1975 Glasply
                        135 Evinrude E-Tec mounted on an Armstrong Engine mount.
                        Greater Puget Sound
                        *1992 Ski Nautique
                        351 Ford
                        Lake Tapps, WA

Comment

Thanks so much. Whatever was done I will plug the holes when I get down to the boat in late April. I just couldn't imagine that they were a good thing. Thanks to everyone. I can see this site will be invaluable.

Comment

I was thinking by the looks of your picture Dan, that I might be able to pull the little pockets out and re-glass them from the back or epoxy them. Not matter what I'll be plugging the holes! Thanks so much for the picture. Very kind of you to go to all the trouble.

Comment

Could it be for windshield washers that never got finished from th PO

You could plug with a rubber grommets

Just thinking out loud

Roy
                              1988 3818
                              EH 700
                              Custom hard top enclosed

Comment

Working...
                              X