Volvo Penta upper gearbox replacement-gctid800972

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo Penta upper gearbox replacement-gctid800972

Hello all I am in need of replacing my Volvo penta 280 upper gear box. I have been looking on eBay and most of them on there are the two bolt helmet plug, mine is the single bolt. My question is do you need to change the helmet to switch to the two bolt or is the helmet the same for two bolt and single bolt?

It's not just the bolts, am I'm at a loss on that part, but be very careful with the gear ratios. Brother in law replaced his upper case and the gear ratio was so far off he couldn't get the boat on a plane no matter what he did with props. He refused to believe there was a difference.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

I may be wrong but I think the gear ratio difference only different in the upper gear box in the sp and newer outdrive the 270-280 outdrive the gear reduction is in the lower unit.

Comment

"1978LibertyProject" post=800972 wrote:
        Hello all I am in need of replacing my Volvo penta 280 upper gear box. I have been looking on eBay and most of them on there are the two bolt helmet plug, mine is the single bolt. My question is do you need to change the helmet to switch to the two bolt or is the helmet the same for two bolt and single bolt?
        [color]#000088 wrote:
        The single pin helmet is slightly different from the double bolt helmet pin style.

Easiest to find the correct helmet along with the replacement transmission. [/color]

[color]#ff0000 wrote:
        DO NOT forget that a replacement transmission MUST be re-shimmed to the Intermediate housing. [/color]

"Pcpete" post=800992 wrote:
        It's not just the bolts, am I'm at a loss on that part, but be very careful with the gear ratios. Brother in law replaced his upper case and the gear ratio was so far off he couldn't get the boat on a plane no matter what he did with props. He refused to believe there was a difference.
        [color]#000088 wrote:
        Your Brother in law had a different issue. All of the early transmissions were of the same reduction.

The later E drive transmission reduction was different, but this transmission will NOT fit onto an early Intermediate housing! [/color]

"1978LibertyProject" post=800996 wrote:
        I may be wrong but I think the gear ratio difference only different in the upper gear box in the sp and newer outdrive the 270-280 outdrive the gear reduction is in the lower unit.
        [color]#000088 wrote:
        Keep in mind that ALL AQ series lower gear units will interchange. In other words, a 1.61:1 lower unit can be installed on a 250, 270, 275, 280, 285, 290 SP DP etc. and it will work as it should! This could NOT be done if there was an array of different transmission ratios!

Ony the diesel large bearing "E" drive transmission ratio is unique.

[/color]
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the information Rick. I will just keep looking for a single bolt transmission for my outdrive. I do know about the reshimming I bought a new digital depth micrometer as my my dial depth gauge finally decided to freeze up. I hope whatever new transmission I get will be close to the shims of my old one as I bought new shims before I realized the drive yoke was damaged and will not slide over my PDS. The bolts for the yoke retainer are completely destroyed leaving me to believe that the drive had a catastrophic U-Joint failure at one point in its life. So instead of risking it I am going to replace the whole transmission.

Comment

I would buy this one and a double bolt helmet if that is the only difference to use it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-penta-...FXNh~h&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-...1YyDTR&vxp=mtr
            Pat. Sandpoint Ida
            I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

How difficult is it to change the helmet?

Comment

"Amadaies" post=801139 wrote:
                I would buy this one and a double bolt helmet if that is the only difference to use it.

[color]#000088 wrote:
                Be careful with the sellers who are listing AQ series parts..... often they are incorrect as to the item's description.

This seller has listed this transmission incorrectly.

First...... is uses the double bolt helmet pin, not the single bolt or single pin as listed.

Secondly...... it is NOT a 270 replacement (although it will work for a gen II 270).

Thirdly...... this is an A transmission, which means that is uses the Integral Aluminum Bearing Box -slash- Clamping Collar.

(note the two bumped out areas on either side of the collar)

[/color]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-penta-Upper-Gear-Unit-gearbox-Single-Bolt-Coarse-V8-4cyl-270-275-280-Sp-DP-/292047431250?hash=item43ff622652:g:vCwAAOSw~oFXNh~ h&vxp=mtr

[color]#000088 wrote:
                This seller also has an error in his listing.

This helmet will NOT work for a 270 transmission.[/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"1978LibertyProject" post=801215 wrote:
                  How difficult is it to change the helmet?
                  [color]#000088 wrote:
                  Baring no issues with the helmet's hinge pins and threads, it will be very easy.

First...... raise the helmet and reach in with a 9/16" six point end wrench and loosen the jam nuts. (std right hand threads)

Next...... remove the hinge pins with the correct US hex key wrench. (again, std right hand threads)

Use heat if the hinge pins feel stiff and/or if the threads appear to be corroded.

Watch for the two thin SS thrust washers, and make sure that you re-install them correctly.

Fully tighten the hinge pins prior to locking the jam nuts.

(one side of each jam nut has been "eased", which makes them directional)

Make sure that you hold the hinge pins (with hex key wrench) while the jam nuts are tightened.

Feel free to use Loc-Tite on the threads and jam nuts. [/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=801228 wrote:
                    "Amadaies" post=801139 wrote:

[color]#000088 wrote:
                    Be careful with the sellers who are listing AQ series parts..... often they are incorrect as to the item's description.

This seller has listed this transmission incorrectly.

First...... is uses the double bolt helmet pin, not the single bolt or single pin as listed.

Secondly...... it is NOT a 270 replacement (although it will work for a gen II 270).

Thirdly...... this is an A transmission, which means that is uses the Integral Aluminum Bearing Box -slash- Clamping Collar.

(note the two bumped out areas on either side of the collar)

[/color]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-penta-Upper-Gear-Unit-gearbox-Single-Bolt-Coarse-V8-4cyl-270-275-280-Sp-DP-/292047431250?hash=item43ff622652:g:vCwAAOSw~oFXNh~ h&vxp=mtr

[color]#000088 wrote:
                    This seller also has an error in his listing.

This helmet will NOT work for a 270 transmission.[/color]

That is why i listed them together. the seller listed it wrong and being a newer double bolt A transmission at a good price it would require him to change helmets also.
                    Pat. Sandpoint Ida
                    I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

"Amadaies" post=801234 wrote:
                      ...................... That is why i listed them together. the seller listed it wrong and being a newer double bolt A transmission at a good price it would require him to change helmets also.
                      [color]#000088 wrote:
                      Yes, I agree...... that is a great price if it's a good one.

FYI....... when looking for a replacement, try to find a transmission that has been behind a 4 cylinder engine.

These will have the "D" designation after the PZNR #

PZNR # ________ "B" represents V-8 application.

Often the V-8 transmissions are due for main drive gear bearing replacement, whereas the D transmission is likely not yet in need of this. [/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Would those two parts that amadies suggested work for a 280 outdrive Rick?

Comment

"1978LibertyProject" post=801242 wrote:
                          Would those two parts that amadies suggested work for a 280 outdrive Rick?
                          [color]#000088 wrote:
                          If the seller has listed them correctly...... yes!

I'd ask him to provide the PZNR #.

If it's a D, then it may be in better condition.

If it's a B, then it will likely be due for main drive gear bearings.

At minimum, I would install a new eccentric piston seal. [/color]

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It is in the ad

Pat. Sandpoint Ida
                            I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

That's the one ya want!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon