Best bow light-gctid800915

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bow light-gctid800915

I want to install a really good LED bow light, one that I can use to spot crab pot buoys in the dark when underway. I put a 120W LED bar on the wheelhouse roof, but the glare off the bow rail renders it absolutely useless. (I'll be removing it and will likely put it on my tow vehicle.) Now I want to put one up on the bow, away from any glare, and one with a hard-wired remote at the helm.

Since the bow rail goes all the way to the tip of the bowsprit, placing a light anywhere back from the very front seems like the only way to prevent glare. Here are my considerations:

Wiring - While the nav light is wired through the bowsprit, is the bowsprit hollow, or is there a 'tube' for the nav light wires?

Base Size - All the lights I've seen have a base too big for the end of the bowsprit. Has anyone found a smaller one?

Forwards facing or ? - Do they have to be covered, turned to face aft, or are they fine to leave facing forward?

Seaworthiness - Is there an LED light that is better at dealing with breaking waves and saltwater?

Performance - Which has the brightest light, and do any of them do both flood and spot?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

I too have thought about best location for a fixed search light still to no avale I have too hand held spot lights which I have tried temp mounting to the front found the light didn't seem higher enough black spots in the toughs and cruising around trying to find my bouy was a night mere so went back to arm out the window with the hand held. I do have 4 small flood lights fixed to the roof on separate swtichs forward for anchor aft for bringing in the big one and port / starboard for bouy retrieval docking etc. A friend of mine has mounted a remote search light on his roof it's great while under way but he still ends up using a hand held from time to time.

Comment

Here is a pretty good thread discussing the same topic from a few years ago.

Hope this helps

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...lights-discuss
      2007 Discovery 246
      Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI
      Bravo III
      Puget Sound North

Comment

"Serenitynow" post=800933 wrote:
        Here is a pretty good thread discussing the same topic from a few years ago.

Hope this helps

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...lights-discuss
        Thanks. I saw that thread, but since I have a different bow railing, none of the options discussed work for me. http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...about this one, but I have no desire to leave an expensive light unprotected when the possibility exists to mount it more solidly on the bowsprit.

I too have a handheld, 1M CP, but the only way I can use it is to either stick it out the window or have a crew member shine it out over the roof. Both ways the glare off the bow rail make it impossible to see ahead.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...d see this one, and while it would definitely work for me, I'm thinking the weight on the very end of the extended piece of the bow rail could cause it to shake and/or eventually break a T-connector. I'm also a little leery of drilling into the railing for the same reason.
        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
        TDI tech diver
        Kevin

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=800915 wrote:
          I want to install a really good LED bow light, one that I can use to spot crab pot buoys in the dark when underway. I put a 120W LED bar on the wheelhouse roof, but the glare off the bow rail renders it absolutely useless. (I'll be removing it and will likely put it on my tow vehicle.) Now I want to put one up on the bow, away from any glare, and one with a hard-wired remote at the helm.

[attachment]34775 wrote:
          BonDCLightChanges.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]34776 wrote:
          BonDCLightChanges1.jpg[/attachment]

Since the bow rail goes all the way to the tip of the bowsprit, placing a light anywhere back from the very front seems like the only way to prevent glare. Here are my considerations:

Wiring - While the nav light is wired through the bowsprit, is the bowsprit hollow, or is there a 'tube' for the nav light wires?

Base Size - All the lights I've seen have a base too big for the end of the bowsprit. Has anyone found a smaller one?

Forwards facing or ? - Do they have to be covered, turned to face aft, or are they fine to leave facing forward?

Seaworthiness - Is there an LED light that is better at dealing with breaking waves and saltwater?

Performance - Which has the brightest light, and do any of them do both flood and spot?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
          I was considering mounting a Rigid Industries M-Series led light bar on the hardtop of my 246. Never considered the glare potential. You have me thinking to abort that plan. Here is the link to their page http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...ighting/marine

- they do offer different styles of search/spot lights. Not sure if they have something for your application. If you have a pic or link to a video showing the glare you speak of I would appreciate seeing it. Thanks.

Comment

On a similar note, what type of bulb is best for out on the bow in a saltwater environment?

I have HIDs on my vehicles. I love them! However, I'm concerned about putting one on the bowsprit because of the high voltage ballast they need, and the heat they generate. Then there's the price tag.

I'd like LED's, but considering the $600+ price tag, they border on cost prohibitive.

Which leaves Xenon, Halogen, and Krypton. I've used krypton and halogen, but find the light they give off mediocre for the power they consume.

Thoughts?
            TDI tech diver
            Kevin

Comment

"Gtown" post=800956 wrote:
              "CptCrunchie" post=800915 wrote:

[attachment]34775 wrote:
              BonDCLightChanges.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]34776 wrote:
              BonDCLightChanges1.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks in advance.

Kevin
              I was considering mounting a Rigid Industries M-Series led light bar on the hardtop of my 246. Never considered the glare potential. You have me thinking to abort that plan. Here is the link to their page http://www.rigidindustries.com/produ...ighting/marine

- they do offer different styles of search/spot lights. Not sure if they have something for your application. If you have a pic or link to a video showing the glare you speak of I would appreciate seeing it. Thanks.
              I have done a fair amount of research on marine led spot/search lights and I haven't been able to find much in regards to real life application. Mostly info from the varying manufacturers.

I did find this video of the dual rigid industries m-series. I don't see the glare issue with these lights in the video. Wondering if it might be the type of light you used. Any feedback would be useful.

https://youtu.be/Dj-8a8j-DRY

Comment

"Gtown" post=800956 wrote:
                If you have a pic or link to a video showing the glare you speak of I would appreciate seeing it. Thanks.
                I don't. But trust me, the glare pff the bow rail and foredeck is blinding, completely blanking out seeing anything even 10' past the bow. I have 2" glass bead reflectors on my crab buoys, and I can't even see them 30' away when that light is on.
                TDI tech diver
                Kevin

Comment

What type of light bar did you install? From my research there are floods, spots and and combo. Is it possible you have a flood and a spot would shoot the the beam further out and not diffuse at the bow? Here a video showing the difference between the spot and flood.

https://youtu.be/lKCUx6UO9v8

Comment

"Gtown" post=800973 wrote:
                    What type of light bar did you install? From my research there are floods, spots and and combo. Is it possible you have a flood and a spot would shoot the the beam further out and not diffuse at the bow? Here a video showing the difference between the spot and flood.
                    All of those are with the light on the front. Here's my boat. See the light? See the bow rail?

[attachment]34797 wrote:
                    BonDCBaylinerTrophy2459Offshore.jpg[/attachment]

When I'm on plane, the light is shooting through the bow rail. Even when I'm trolling, the glare is ....what I told you already.

Not convinced? Spend the money and find out for yourself. I'm not debating my issue, because I know what it is. I'm looking for a solution.
                    TDI tech diver
                    Kevin

Comment

I would say an easy fix might be to put a deflector under the light bar so that the light goes above the railing. Like you would do on a jeep when you have lights on the top or bottom of the windshield.
                      Current boat. 1995 4788 powered by 310 Hino
                      Boat name. "The Salty Kiss"
                      Location. Kona Kia Marina, San Diego CA.
                      Prior boat. 1999 2855 Powered by 454 with Bravo III
                      Owners. Dean and Tracy Roberts

Comment

Hi their I mounted my led spot on the bow rail then ran the wiring inside the bow rail back to the helm throw front Cnr screen vent then to the helm dash install switch job done

Cheers Murray

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=800982 wrote:
                          "Gtown" post=800973 wrote:
                          All of those are with the light on the front. Here's my boat. See the light? See the bow rail?

[attachment]34797 wrote:
                          BonDCBaylinerTrophy2459Offshore.jpg[/attachment]

When I'm on plane, the light is shooting through the bow rail. Even when I'm trolling, the glare is ....what I told you already.

Not convinced? Spend the money and find out for yourself. I'm not debating my issue, because I know what it is. I'm looking for a solution.
                          Just trying to offer that a spot light (first video) might be a possible solution by beaming it past the bow and preventing the glare. No idea if it would work. Seems like a possible easier solution and it would avoid the other challenges you posted in your fist post. No debate - just a friendly suggestion.

Would be interested to learn what you decide in the end. Still on my list of modifications to do. That's what great about the site - you can learn from others through their experience or suggestions. Best of luck with it!

Comment

"Gtown" post=801026 wrote:
                            Just trying to offer that a spot light (first video) might be a possible solution by beaming it past the bow and preventing the glare. No idea if it would work. Seems like a possible easier solution and it would avoid the other challenges you posted in your fist post.
                            Best to read the other thread, http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...ially this one. And then there ishttp://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...r /> this one.

The first one deals with glare off an anchor, even though the light is mounted on the bow. The second one is exactly my point. The moment any light is reflected off anything on the bow, I lose night vision. The only question is how to mount it forward so this doesn't happen. Even if I mount it on the bowsprit, there are still challenges, like how effective and waterproof it will be in bigger seas being that low. http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in... it on the bow rail makes the most sense to me, but unlike what this owner did, my bow rail is very different to his as shown in post #10. Running the wire through the rail would greatly reduce the strength of mine, where his doesn't extend that far out and the stanchion is right beside the light.

I'd consider mounting http://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-3...> one of these up on the bowsprit, but the price is insane.

I'm now considering mounting https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...> one of these on the bowsprit. With a flood, I won't need it to move upend down. But again, glare off the bow rail may still be an issue.

Still looking......
                            TDI tech diver
                            Kevin

Comment

Interesting! Found this ad and apparently sales are brisk. However, these are illegal. The regulations on red and green nav lights state that each have a visible range of 112 degrees from dead ahead to 112 degrees aft. These are around 180 degrees and both can be seen as much as 40 degrees to either side of dead ahead.

But they are so pretty.......! :silly:
                              TDI tech diver
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X