06 175 won(39)t idle right-gctid800909

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

06 175 won(39)t idle right-gctid800909

So yea when I turn it on the motor shakes and keeps wanting to die and sometimes does. If I turn it on and punch the gas a second and put it back to idle it's perfect. Ideas? First boat so newbie here. Thanks

Welcome to the BOC!

My first inclination is the choke needs some attention and spark plugs. Change the plugs to the latest manufacturer recommendation. Yes, sometime they change. If new plugs don't get it back to normal, go after the choke.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

What motor do you have?

Mike
      2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
      2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
      2000 Ciera 2455 sold
      Redmond, Washington
      The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

3.0 TKS maybe...
        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
        93 3058 sold
        92 2855 (day boat)
        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
        Longbranch WA
        Life is Good

Comment

Yea the 3.0

Comment

I have the 3.0 TKS as well. At start up she is not pretty at all until she warms up. Shakes like like is having a seizure, hisses until the automatic choke settles down and disappears. When you turn the key to start, are you leaving the throttle in about the 1/4 position? Mine has a "stop" in that position which I would assume opens the throttle a bit to get and keep her going thru warm up. I don't know if that "stop" was placed on newer boats.....I have a 2012. Mine will not stall, but until she warms up, she is not happy let me tell you. Once warmed up though, she purrs and is ready to go. I have found though, the more you run that engine and boat under power, the better that engine performs the going forward.....maybe simply burning off build-up, maybe not, but that seems to be the case.
            Lake Hartwell, GA
            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
            1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
            1996 SeaDoo GTX
            1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Your carburetor doesn't have a choke it has a enrichment circuit. When you start the motor cold the TKS module will open a port to add extra fuel to the mix until the boat reaches running temperature. The TKS is set to operate for about eight minutes the begin to close off the extra fuel being added.

When you start the motor cold you should hear a noticeable hiss for about eight minutes (the TKS system) then it will begin to quiet down and the hiss will eventually stop if the system is working correctly. here is a link to the carburetor shop manual where you can learn more about troubleshooting and repairing that carb.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/ma...iser41.html#/0

If everything is operating correctly the motor should have a higher idle speed without adding more throttle when cold than drop to normal idle when warmed up.

Mike
              2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
              2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
              2000 Ciera 2455 sold
              Redmond, Washington
              The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

Comment

no choke & yup what Mike said...adding more throttle shouldn't be necessary.

TurnKeyStart.
                Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

Take a peek at this ...

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/ma...ser41.html#/48

You have to allow enough time for this engine and carb you have to warm up.

After a hard run you have to allow the engine to idle for 3-5 minutes then shut it down.

If you are operating the engine correctly and are still having problems then we together can come up with a positive outcome for you.

Tip : signature at the bottom, boating in fresh or salt water etc.
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                  X