Anyone use these big block chevy manifolds? H20 brand-gctid800757

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use these big block chevy manifolds? H20 brand-gctid800757

I need new exhaust manifolds mine are nearly 30 years old and I think know they are bad. I was on amazon and found these. I was wondering why they are about $75+ cheaper than others. Seem to refer to them as barr manifolds but maybe a knock off.

These are my old ones they don't seem to manufacture these anymore. 454 chevys

I'm pretty sure I'll need to do modifications.

Does anyone know about these??
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Can't help you with the manifolds but how is the new project coming along. No updates or pics!
    Pat. Sandpoint Ida
    I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

"Amadaies" post=800759 wrote:
      Can't help you with the manifolds but how is the new project coming along. No updates or pics!
      Hahaha it's in pieces I have placed the new refrigerator in its new spot and working on the propane stove oven where the refrigerator used to be and putting in new counter tops . I have gained lots.of usable counter space and lost only a little sitting space.

Here is preliminary the stove is where the frig used to be..

[attachment]34760 wrote:
      20170325_120705_1490575913842.jpg[/attachment]

I also have new teak flooring to install inside the cabin but I want to install things first. The old powder blue shagg carpet is gone.
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

If anyone has done the conversion from old style big block to newer style I would be interested in any insights.
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

I just bought a set of manifolds from Wholesale Marine and paid about $500 a set.

3 years ago I bought a set from Amazon and wasn't happy with them.

Later I found out they were casts at a very cheap rate foundry and when I took them off I saw how they were being corroded away from the inside.

I found that you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

Skeeteer

Comment

"skeeter3" post=800780 wrote:
            I just bought a set of manifolds from Wholesale Marine and paid about $500 a set.

3 years ago I bought a set from Amazon and wasn't happy with them.

Later I found out they were casts at a very cheap rate foundry and when I took them off I saw how they were being corroded away from the inside.

I found that you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

Skeeteer
            +1 on getting what you pay for I work at a machine shop where we used cast iron castings stay away from cheap castings you may save a little now but will have to replace them more often and more prone to damage I would stay with genuine Barr manifolds but that's my preference.

Comment

look at the Barr Crusader manifolds and elbows. http://www.barrmarine.net/crusader.html looks like they would adapt easier maybe bolt on. Maybe just rubber hoses.

Comment

I ended up purchasing Sierra brand mercruiser raiser style manifolds for various reasons.

I purchased mercruiser style because availability in the future . I am probably going to need spacers and mercruiser had the most options for that. . I only have the oil filter that is attached to the manifolds and nothing else so I'll maybe need to relocate that. As far as risers I just have rubber 4 " hoses if the existing comes up short I only have to get longer ones or shorten the main tube to make it fit.

I went with Sierra brand because I put those on my other boat and I was happy with those. They are easy to find and I didn't have to wait. The ones on my 350's were massive much more heavy duty than the oem manifolds.

I considered the crusader style and they may very well have better performance but looking at them there was no way to raise the outlet hose if it needed to be higher. Also they were more expensive and not as available.

I understand that the 454 has a typical reversion issues of I'm raising the riser as high as possible.

I currently have a water intrusion problem I'm hoping that it's from bad manifolds as the current ones are 30 years old and one appears to have a small crack in it.

The factory ones I have now do look a lot like the crusader ones on the bottom half but I just need them to fit. Maybe someday I'll get the stainless header style which actually look alot like what I have now.
                twin 454's
                MV Mar-Y-Sol
                Twin chevy 350's inboard
                Ben- Jamin
                spokane Washington

Comment

Raising the elbows as much as practical is probably a good idea. It can't hurt. Exhaust hose isn't very flexible in short distances so don't stress your existing plumbing.

Comment

"MT Jeff" post=801594 wrote:
                    Raising the elbows as much as practical is probably a good idea. It can't hurt. Exhaust hose isn't very flexible in short distances so don't stress your existing plumbing.
                    My existing exhaust plumbing is kind of shaped like a "U". I have v-drives so the exhaust runs up the side for about 8 feet then turns toward the engine and splits to each exhaust bank. All I need to do is raise the exhaust hose but the new riser outlet is without a doubt going to be higher than it is currently even without any spacers the exhaust tube enters low.on the engine. It's kind of a odd system. No wonder why it was discountinued
                    twin 454's
                    MV Mar-Y-Sol
                    Twin chevy 350's inboard
                    Ben- Jamin
                    spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                    X