Canvas fastener with rivets-gctid396646

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    You can remove a rivet by using a drill bit just slightly larger than the post of the rivet, the post is the part that looks like a nail on an unused rivet. I suspect the corrosion is being caused by oxidization from differing metals. Hopefully it's just the rivet thats corroded, and no the aluminum frame underneath also.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Canvas fastener with rivets-gctid396646

Canvas fastener with rivets-gctid396646

I have a 2002 Ciera Sunbridge 2655. As you know, the front glass windshield sits in an aluminum frame which has a door allowing a walk-thru to the bow. The front vinyl windows are attached from the bimini top to the aluminum frame of the windshield. The attachment method for the vinyl windows to the aluminum frame is by way of twist studs with a two hole base. The twist studs are not screwed into the frame, but are attached using rivets. The bases of the twist studs have been eaten away and are slowly tearing away from the aluminum frame leaving the rivets in the frame. Can I remove the rivets? If so, how? Will the removal method allow me to use the same holes in the aluminum frame so that I do not have to drill new holes in the frame? Once removed, should I install new twist studs into the frame with rivets or small stainless steel screws? Thanks in advance for any advice and/or assistance.
Working...
X