Cobra OD Oil-gctid799811

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cobra OD Oil-gctid799811

I usually have my OMC mech do the maintenance on my boat. However, since it only needs an oil change and OD top-up, I'm doing this one myself.

I just finished the oil change, and lowered the OD.

With a large flat screwdriver, I removed the dipstick. Though there was a slight blackish kind of crusty film on the stick, which rubbed off, but no oil level showed. Poking a piece of wire into the hole, the level appears to be about ¼"-›" below the bottom the dipstick. The oil is brownish, but not as dark as used motor oil. This was more like 2 month old motor oil.

1. Should I be concerned?

2. What oil does it take?

3. Can I add it through the dip stick hole?

Thank you in advance.
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

You should be filling it from the middle hole with the dipstick off and fill until it starts over flowing...When you drain it, if it looks milky it's time to have the drive resealed.

Comment

"ckmeans" post=799815 wrote:
      You should be filling it from the middle hole with the dipstick off and fill until it starts over flowing...When you drain it, if it looks milky it's time to have the drive resealed.
      Is there a reason for that? It was done a year ago, and it's just down a little.

But if I did that and just oil came out, do I drain everything anyway, or just add enough to make it overflow, then drop it to the dipstick level?

Also, what kind of oil does it take? Gear oil, or is there something special for Cobra outdrives?
      "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
      TDI tech diver
      Kevin

Comment

I have used the Merc high performance gear lube at my mechanics advice for many years (10+) with no problems. You must follow the proper procedure for refilling the Cobra or else there will be an air pocket and it will be underfilled which is not good. Your drive takes a full 2 qts if you drain it completely.
        88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
        98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

"88fourwinns" post=799852 wrote:
          I have used the Merc high performance gear lube at my mechanics advice for many years (10+) with no problems. You must follow the proper procedure for refilling the Cobra or else there will be an air pocket and it will be underfilled which is not good. Your drive takes a full 2 qts if you drain it completely.
          Thanks. So, I'm guessing I need to drain it first out the bottom drain plug beside the skeg. Then I put the plug back in and somehow fill it through the middle plug, .....but how? Do I need special equipment? Or is this something my mechanic should be doing?

PS: I used to love doing mechanics, but every time I fixed one thing, 3 more things would screw up. So, other than simple strip off, bolt on replacement projects, I decided to leave the mechanics to the mechanics. I work with wood. In fact, show me enough wood and I'll build you a boat, ....though it will have to be powered by Armstrong outboards.
          TDI tech diver
          Kevin

Comment

buy a couple of quarts of marine 80/90 at Walmart, buy a out drive fill hand pump kit. it s better to drain it more often. takes a bit to get it to drain completely out. I would do a pressure test with a radiator cap pressure tester using the oil fill screw in fitting and hose that comes with the kit. Yes, you have to get a threaded barb to fit the pressure tester. I'll bet when you go to drain it, there will be water when you first open up the bottom drain plug. Means you could have a leak some where. but best to pressure test it to find out. it usually is the bottom prop seals that need to be replaced, so stick you year down by the prop to see if you can hear it hissing when you pump it up to 15 to 17 psi. Only fill from the center plug, cap then wait a day and recheck, it is pretty easy to get air bubbles in the oil. If you have water in the oil then change more often. Always going to have some water in there, more than a tsp and you are in trouble. When you test the level, it should read on the dip stick with out screwing it in. I wouldn't bother adding to the level, just change it. Changing it each season when the outdrive is new is cool, but after they are 10 years old or so, then 2 or 3 times a season is better because there is always some little water leak. Wally world outdrive oil is cheap compared to a new outdrive. I'm sure this is not what you wanted to hear.....
            1987 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 2150.
            May your portapot not tip over in 5 foot seas.......

Comment

yes, drain from the bottom screw. don't lose the washers on any of the screws. DON'T TOUCH THE SCREW UNDER THE PLASTIC MEDALIAN, IT IS BIGGER THAN THE REST OF THE SCREWS! Get a fill hand pump kit from wally mart in the little boat section. They are like $7-8.00, store it in a freezer bag for next time. Use this kit to pressure test the seals to no more than 15 -17 psi. Go to autozone and buy a radiator pressure tester. It is a little hand pump with a pressure gauge. Don't remember how much they are, guessing about $35.00. Get a adapter barb from HD. There are many utube videos about omc cobras.... Doing this work is no worse than cutting a square panel or building a kitchen cabinet door, just different. I can do both.
              1987 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 2150.
              May your portapot not tip over in 5 foot seas.......

Comment

"lonfu" post=799858 wrote:
                yes, drain from the bottom screw. don't lose the washers on any of the screws. DON'T TOUCH THE SCREW UNDER THE PLASTIC MEDALIAN, IT IS BIGGER THAN THE REST OF THE SCREWS! Get a fill hand pump kit from wally mart in the little boat section. They are like $7-8.00, store it in a freezer bag for next time. Use this kit to pressure test the seals to no more than 15 -17 psi. Go to autozone and buy a radiator pressure tester. It is a little hand pump with a pressure gauge. Don't remember how much they are, guessing about $35.00. Get a adapter barb from HD. There are many utube videos about omc cobras.... Doing this work is no worse than cutting a square panel or building a kitchen cabinet door, just different. I can do both.
                Excellent! I can do that! Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know!
                TDI tech diver
                Kevin

Comment

Brown? Kevin, open up the top cap then post a pic.

If not milky, yes you can top it off thru the dip stick.
                  Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                  93 3058
                  92 2855
                  91 Fourwinns 205
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=799939 wrote:
                    Brown? Kevin, open up the top cap then post a pic.

If not milky, yes you can top it off thru the dip stick.
                    Here's a photo. Please keep in mind that the OD hasn't been engaged since last October. How does it look to you?

[attachment]34644 wrote:
                    BonDCODOil.jpg[/attachment]
                    TDI tech diver
                    Kevin

Comment

Yanno, for $20 worth of oil and another 5 for the pump, I may as well change the oil so I know it is all good. I also bought a third one to do the Yamaha 15 kicker leg, as well as change its motor oil.

If I have this right, ....I'll know when I drain the Cobra how well the seals are if there is more than a tablespoon of water in it. I open the top and bottom oil plugs and let it drain thoroughly. Then, barring needing a pressure test, I replace the bottom plug, open the middle plug and pump the oil in there. When it comes out the top, remove the pump and let the level drop to the line on the dipstick. Replace the middle plug and dipstick.

I should have an easy time of it, and save the $75 my mechanic charges me to do them. Kewl!
                      TDI tech diver
                      Kevin

Comment

you didn't open the cap...hard to see what you posted.

Good idea to drain it all, Merc Hi perf is good, GL 90 lube is good also.

93 3058
                        92 2855
                        91 Fourwinns 205
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=800108 wrote:
                          you didn't open the cap...hard to see what you posted.

Good idea to drain it all, Merc Hi perf is good, GL 90 lube is good also.
                          I bought 3L of https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marine-Ge...QuickSilver 90 and https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline...br /> the pump. But before I do that, I'm off to O'Reilly's to get my RAM diagnosed for the Engine Check light staying on. B)

I'll post photos of the oil I drain from the OD.
                          TDI tech diver
                          Kevin

Comment

UPDATE: I drained the oil this morning. With the dipstick removed, I removed the bottom plug. As you can see, the oil that drained out had absolutely no water in it. (The green liquid on the sides is antifreeze from when I replaced my tow vehicle's thermostat.)

Once much of it had drained out, I removed the middle cap. As you can see, there is only tiny iron filings on the magnets, something I'm sure is fairly common with these outdrives.

Can you say, "Molasses in January?" I've decided to let it drain overnight and fill it tomorrow.
                            TDI tech diver
                            Kevin

Comment

Looks dark.... a bit more shavings than we'd like to see normal.

New gear lube hopefully all good.
                              93 3058
                              92 2855
                              91 Fourwinns 205
                              Longbranch WA
                              Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                              X