another starter question-gctid396484

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another starter question-gctid396484

First, thanks to the group for all the help with my questions. You guys are a great resource for any boat owners.By all the recent threads it seems to be the year of the starters going bad, mine included. I searched online for 5.7 marine starters and they all have a staggered mount. What part number or other id info should I be using to find one that matches mine pictured below.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700152=29331-IMAG0118.jpg[/img]
    Lance A.
    1986 2860 Trophy soft top
    5.7 gm replacment motor, freshwater cooled.
    Volvo 280 or 275 with Douprop added.

You are not alone in this.

Many sellers are also confused with which motor fits which flywheel (the 153 tooth or the 168 tooth).

I often see this motor being listed as though correct for the V-8 Volvo Penta.

What they don't list, is that the early Volvo Penta SBC uses the 153 tooth flywheel, and later SBC Volvo Penta uses the 168 tooth flywheel.

This one works with the 168 tooth flywheel only.

Here are two old school non-gear reduction motors....... probably Delco's.

The one to the left fits only the 153 tooth flywheel. It's bolt pattern is perpendicular to the crankshaft (straight across).

The one to the right fits only the 168 tooth flywheel. It's bolt pattern is not perpendicular to the crankshaft (staggered).

The SBC engine blocks are machined and threaded in three areas for starter motor bolts.

The outer-most bolt hole is common to either starter motor nose housing.

Note the offset between this bolt hole and the pinion gear of each motor.

Treat yourself to a nice HTGR/PMGR motor for the 153 tooth flywheel (straight bolt pattern), and enjoy faster cranking.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the help, it looks like I've found one that fits the bill.

http://www.amazon.com/MERCRUISER-OMC...QC/ref=lh_ni_t[/URL]

On the same note, I must say that I was lucky in getting stater off. The exhaust manifolds came off with no problem, and besides the cramped conditions I was able to reach in and remove the stater easily as well.
      Lance A.

Comment

That ad says; MERCRUISER OMC STARTER 3.0 Long-Short Mount
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

That's where my confusion comes in. There is no specific part number on my current starter and my motor is a GM truck engine replacement per this post - http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...highlight=2860 .

The add also says that the starter replaces these part numbers:

Replaces these part numbers:

DELCO: 10465606, 9000895

OMC: 3858463

VOLVO: 3862308

I'm assuming OMC, volvo and others can use the same starter since they use GM 5.7 block?
          Lance A.

Comment

lallan wrote:
            That's where my confusion comes in. There is no specific part number on my current starter and my motor is a GM truck engine replacement

I'm assuming OMC, volvo and others can use the same starter since they use GM 5.7 block?
            The machining for the starter motor bolts is the same between the SBC's.

What does change, is the flywheel diameter and ring gear tooth count.

Large flywheel diameter = 168 tooth = staggered bolt pattern, typically found on Merc's and OMC's.

Small flywheel diameter = 153 tooth = straight across bolt pattern, found on all early AQ series GM V-8's.

Some of the 3.0L and 4.3L motors also use the straight across bolt pattern, but these motors may not be rated at the same wattage.

Some are only 1.3kw, some are 1.7kw, some are 2.0kw.

You'll want some "Umph" to turn that engine over.

Best I can suggest:

Call Richard at Seamanufacturing in Florida, tell him what you have, and ask for the all steel reduction gear HTGR/PMGR starter motor for the 153 tooth flywheel. I think that one member said that DB Electrical could also provide the all steel reduction gear HTGR/PMGR starter motor for the 153 tooth flywheel.

Sierra should also have this motor, but it may not use the all steel reduction gears.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
            X