Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening port lights on 3870-gctid798030

Hi all.

On my recent 600 n.m delivery trip back to my home port we had a few 1.5 mtr seas. This is when I went down to the vee berth to walk onto wet carpet. The following day I went and checked it out and it was soaking (Splashing) wet.) I finally tracked the ingress to the port lights as the wave action on the flared bow must have been pushing water through what turned out to be VERY hard non sealing seals. While steaming along I began cutting all the original carpet and underlay out as I was going to replace it ASAP anyway as there were two staffies living on board for six years prior to me buying Manda Lea. In all the manuals I have, there is no reference to the brand of port lights and the three deck hatches that are fitted on the 3870's.

My question is: Can anyone tell me what brand they are as I need to replace them please.

Regards, Craig
    Long list of past boats. Now living aboard Manda Lea, 1987 3870 in Townsville, Qld, Australia. Sailed up here in 2013 aboard my 2008 Bavaria 37 which has now been sold.

This may sound silly but try soaking the seals with auto brake fluid. It may soften them up and make them useable again. Soak a cloth and apply a couple of times.

This also works on old windshield wiper blades.

Doug
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I have heard that WD-40 will do the same thing. It is a less caustic to finishes than brake fluid.

Greg
      Newport, Oregon
      South Beach Marina
      1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
      Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
      Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Using the method above all depends on what your port light seals are made of, if made of EPDM brake fluid will not do anything, as that is the material that is use for oring's in your auto brakes, If its Neoprene what happens when using brake fluid it attacks the rubber softening it up and if over done will be a gooey mess, by soaking your not going to gain much life out of the seals they need replacing,

Comment

The portlights and deck hatches are made by BOMAR - Pompanette.

Our old 38's have the extruded aluminium port lights and hatches. You can call them and they most of the time have the parts for them. Get the part number and then start looking around on the world wide web. I have found things like the hold down dogs made by them for about half of what they want if you buy direct. Direct is pricey but you may not have any other choice.

Pompanette LLC.

P.O. Box 1200

Charlestown, NH, USA 03603

73 Southwest Street

Charlestown, NH 03603

T: (603) 826-5791

F: (603) 826-4125

Bomar

[email protected]

Comment

My seals are R.S. All cracked, hard etc so there is no coming back from there. The BOMAR site doesn't appear to have the cast aluminium ports. Are they the 100 series? The passage stainless steel look close to the shape but it doesn't appear to have old port seals.
            Long list of past boats. Now living aboard Manda Lea, 1987 3870 in Townsville, Qld, Australia. Sailed up here in 2013 aboard my 2008 Bavaria 37 which has now been sold.

Comment

Well here is the naswer from Bomar /Pompanette.

The port lights are MKII3000. It is a long time ago discontinued so sorry no parts or pieces available. I did however find some self adhesive seals and removed, cleaned and fitted them on the port light. Tested the seal with a fire hose and all is good after re sealing the outside and inside of the framing. Cost? $12 per two port lights and a bit of time.

Comment

Staffies? I've heard of sephs, even been called one. I also know better than to try to order a Fosters.....what's a Staffie?
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
                MMSI 367770440
                1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
                Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Working...
                X