What are these?-gctid396295

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these?-gctid396295

The first whole appears to be an inspection whole. If it is what should I be inspecting?

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/699962=29318-IMAG0102.jpg[/img]Any idea what this is? I was thinking maybe a remote starter.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/699962=29319-IMAG0103.jpg[/img]
    Lance A.
    1986 2860 Trophy soft top
    5.7 gm replacment motor, freshwater cooled.
    Volvo 280 or 275 with Douprop added.

No idea on the first pic but the second is the reset button for the engine power breaker
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

The hole in your bell housing was most likely made by a previous owner. I had the same bell housing on my old engine; and it did not contain such a hole. It is exposing the flywheel. This is often done for photo sensors used to measure RPM's based on counting teeth on the flywheel as it spins. I can't understand why it would be done on a gasoline engine since tachometer readings are taken from ignition.

The second photo is a part of your outdrive's trim assembly.

Comment

All red OEM V-8 Flywheel Covers have this hole in them. We don't seem to use them, and it's likely a carry-over from another purpose or application.

BTW, the shaft inside of the Flywheel Cover is the PDS (primary drive shaft).

I can just about guarantee you that the bearings on this shaft need be replaced by now!

The Cole Hersee 40 Amp re-settable fuse is for the engine harness to hull harness power feed.

The small five pin relay is used by the "start by-pass" circuit.
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick, I included a pic of my Volvo-Penta bell housing from the old engine. I'm guessing some bell housings came with an inspection hole and others did not...?

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/700008=29324-bell housing.jpg[/img]

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
            Rick, I included a pic of my Volvo-Penta bell housing from the old engine. I'm guessing some bell housings came with an inspection hole and others did not...?

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
            The flywheel cover shown is a Borg Warner pattern flywheel cover for the Volvo Penta I/O's and the PDS adapter housing.The port or hole on some I/B applications, was used for Ignition Timing via flywheel indexing.These typically had a indexing tab on them for use while strobing the timing marks.... much like the timing chain cover tab.Instead of using the harmonic balancer, the flywheel was used..
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

That inspection hole in your bell housing could come in very handy to grease your flywheel. This grease then goes to your starter and helps it stay lubricated to engage and disengage. Thats what I would use it for.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                The hole in your bell housing was most likely made by a previous owner. I had the same bell housing on my old engine; and it did not contain such a hole. It is exposing the flywheel. This is often done for photo sensors used to measure RPM's based on counting teeth on the flywheel as it spins. I can't understand why it would be done on a gasoline engine since tachometer readings are taken from ignition.

The second photo is a part of your outdrive's trim assembly.
                Photo sensor wouldn't work too well in that hole, I'd guess if it was ever used for RPM measurement, it was a hall effect sensor.

Comment

In the automotive world we used to use the hole in the first pic to turn the engine over by hand using a special bar, just sorta pry it a few teeth at a time
                  Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

If you want to grease your flywheel ring gear, you must use 4,500+ rpm grease.

This grease is designed to stay put at both 6" and 7" radius (153 and 168 tooth flywheels).

I have a limited supply of it, and if you'll send me your own container, I'll gladly sell you some!

Oh come on.... I'm just pulling your chain.

We don't typically apply grease to a flywheel ring gear nor to a pinion gear.

Pinion gear shaft.... yes!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                    X