Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporarily removing oil injection on Yamaha - need help-gctid396128

Hi guys (& gals),

I recently replaced the twin POS Force 125hp motors on my Trophy with a single Yamaha 225hp 30" shaft oil-injected model (1992).

Here's the deal, I have over 100 gallons of premixed gas in tank which is still good (yep, over $400 in gas and 2-stroke oil). I don't want to throw fuel away at recycle dump, so was thinking about temporarily disabeling oil injection until I use up most of gas. Once I get down to maybe 10 to 20 gallons, I was going to add more fuel so I no longer have a 50:1 mix.

Also, I am not too sure if a little oil in gas would affect using main tank to feed my 4-stroke kicker. If that's the case, I may have to use up or empty tank completely and start with pure gas.

Can anyone tell me how to disable oil-injection temporarily? Or would I be better off dumping premix gas and start with pure gas?

I am sure some of you may have run into this before, so any suggestion would help.

If I need to get rid of premixed gas and if anyone is in Kitsap County Washington, let me know if you could use this gas.

As for temporarily disabling the oil injection system, call Yamaha.

You need to learn whether or not there may be other issues in doing this.

Oil Injection systems have been known to fail, and when they fail, well...... you know where we're going with that.

If there are no issues with disabling it, I'd remove it and leave it removed, unless this particular injection system has a great history and track record.

However, this poses an issue for the 4-stroke engine if they share the same fuel tank.

In the 70's/80's I rode Husqvarna off-road motorcycles. All were 2-stroke, and without oil injection (pre-mix).

I remember when a few of the other makers began using oil injection systems, and they did have some trouble with them.

Most everyone with these motorcycles was removing the injection, and going to pre-mix fuel.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

My previous boat had a Yamaha 200HP 1990 oil injection. Never a problem with it. Yamaha has the best injection system. (According to mechanic, and my opinion). I would leave it attached. As for the gas, you can use it as is, it won't hurt but it will oil your plugs and be a lot smokier / smelly. Keep adding gas as you use it to dilute the mixture.
      David
      1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

Davidlyne wrote:
        As for the gas, you can use it as is, it won't hurt but it will oil your plugs and be a lot smokier / smelly. Keep adding gas as you use it to dilute the mixture.
        +1, remember the times when 2-strokes needed a lower mix ratio (like 25:1) for the initial few hours? Besides the smoke and smell it won't hurt if there's a bit more oil in the gas. What you may want to ask your installer is whether they have the injector set for more oil for the break in period. If that's the case I would have them reduce it to normal (after break-in setting) and your mixed gas will do the rest.

Comment

Working...
        X