Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merc 1998 8 hp outboard, not making full power after eating some watery gas?-gctid396121

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merc 1998 8 hp outboard, not making full power after eating some watery gas?-gctid396121

Ran good last season got put away and ended up with a slug of booze-gas induced water in the carb so now it only makes about half power. I pulled the big nylon filter and it was absolutely clean. Fuel line was already changed last season. The gas had about 6 oz of water in it, enough that when I dumped it in my old tractor that will burn anything it wouldn't start. Long story short new 2 cycle mix and motor starts and runs fine but still won't put the boat on plane. The guy who owns it says he ran it for a half hour but it didn't change or improve. I had put some B-12 Chemtool in it while I was switching out the gas as I didn't have any Seafoam left around the garage.

So what's the odds of this clog breaking down and going away if it gets run some? He doesn't have time to screw around with it and I'll probably end up doodling with it next week and I'd rather not go tearing apart carbs if it can be helped. Yea, I know, toss out last years gas in a 2 stroke, I'll make him write it on the board 100 times.........:livid:

Maybe you only have to drain the carb.

Tell your buddy next time to run the carb dry after every use.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
    X