Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alarm (near key) sounding while starting the engine and running, but intermittent-gctid396018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Alarm (near key) sounding while starting the engine and running, but intermittent-gctid396018

    I have a year 2000 Trophy 2352 with a Mercruiser 5.0 I/O. I bought the boat used last year and when first fired up (boat at shop, water hose connected, service writer standing right there), the alarm came on, but didn't stay on. He didn't know why it was on. I had the engine go through a 100 hour tune, change water pump, and whatever else they do. All seemed good afterwards but when put her in the water, the alarm sounded again. The alarm sounds a steady annoying sound sometimes short 5 - 10 seconds and sometimes 1 minute long. But only during running. The last trip was in the ocean and it sounded off and on all morning. Then for some reason, it stopped. All afternoon til we pulled into the harbor at 5PM, no sound. I think it is an over temp situation as the temp gauge looked around 175 in the morning but around 160 in the afternoon. Not sure why the temp would fluctuate so much. Also I would like to know if this alarm trigger point can be changed or is it factory set. I'm beginning to wonder if the shop did due diligence in replacing the water pump.

    If this sounds familiar to anyone, I can sure use the advice.

    #2
    trophy2352 wrote:
    I have a year 2000 Trophy 2352 with a Mercruiser 5.0 I/O. I bought the boat used last year and when first fired up (boat at shop, water hose connected, service writer standing right there), the alarm came on, but didn't stay on. He didn't know why it was on. I had the engine go through a 100 hour tune, change water pump, and whatever else they do. All seemed good afterwards but when put her in the water, the alarm sounded again. The alarm sounds a steady annoying sound sometimes short 5 - 10 seconds and sometimes 1 minute long. But only during running. The last trip was in the ocean and it sounded off and on all morning. Then for some reason, it stopped. All afternoon til we pulled into the harbor at 5PM, no sound. I think it is an over temp situation as the temp gauge looked around 175 in the morning but around 160 in the afternoon. Not sure why the temp would fluctuate so much. Also I would like to know if this alarm trigger point can be changed or is it factory set. I'm beginning to wonder if the shop did due diligence in replacing the water pump.

    If this sounds familiar to anyone, I can sure use the advice.
    Your temp(s) are just fine...assuming that your gauge is accurate.

    The three things that your alarm will monitor is your engine temperature, your oil pressure, and your drive lube reservoir mounted on your engine.

    If this were mine, I would be checking the drive lube level first. If it appears to be within the specified range, you can unplug the sensor wire from it's bottom the next time that it goes off...if it stops, then your gear lube float switch is probably hanging up. This switch fails too often as the gear lube thickens between changes....

    Happy boating!
    Boating Supplies

    Comment


      #3
      My money is on a failing oil pressure switch. The alarm should sound when you first start. That's because there is no oil pressure until the engine begins to turn over a bit. I think your intermittent alarms are an oil pressure transducer at the end of its life. You could start by jumpering that switch.

      Comment


        #4
        When it happens again first unplug the oil bottle for the drive, if that doesn't stop the alarm then go for the oil pressure switch. Maybe bring a temp gun onboard and shoot the area around the temp sender. You could also t-in a manual oil pressure gauge and leave it there that one won't lie to you as the dash mounted one will.
        Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

        1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

        '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

        Manalapan N.J

        Comment


          #5
          Rocky_Road wrote:
          Your temp(s) are just fine...assuming that your gauge is accurate.

          The three things that your alarm will monitor is your engine temperature, your oil pressure, and your drive lube reservoir mounted on your engine.

          If this were mine, I would be checking the drive lube level first. If it appears to be within the specified range, you can unplug the sensor wire from it's bottom the next time that it goes off...if it stops, then your gear lube float switch is probably hanging up. This switch fails too often as the gear lube thickens between changes....

          Happy boating!
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

          Hi all,

          Finally go to take the boat out again. But before I did, I used your input and found the drive lube level low. See attached. I simply filled it to the line and - no more alarm sound.

          Thanks so much!!!!!!

          Ed

          Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

          Comment


            #6
            Rocky_Road wrote:


            If this were mine, I would be checking the drive lube level first.!
            Chief Alen wrote:
            When it happens again first unplug the oil bottle for the drive, if that doesn't stop the alarm then go for the oil pressure switch.
            Good call you two.

            Comment


              #7
              Another satisified customer- wait til he gets your bill.... :kidding;raseberry

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks for the tips guys. Mine has been beeping all summer for a second or two and then quiet for an hour. I know both drives are full, engines are running on spec for temp and I've got good Oil pressure on both sides. I'll start disconecting one at a time and see if is stops. Problem is it's so darn intermittent, it might take a while to isloate the bad sender.
                Doug
                Hanging Loose
                98 Carver 350 Mariner
                2013-
                KRUSTY KRAB
                2001 305
                5.7 BII
                2006-2013

                Comment


                  #9
                  Carguy-

                  Have you found your problem yet? I'm experiencing the same thing as you. Thanks!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    The outdrive reservoir low level alarm on my boat starts sounding when the level gets around the top of the rubber strap. which is around 1/2 full, similar to what is pictured above. Not that I know this, I keep an eye on the bottle and if it looks like the oil level will get to the strap, I refill the bottle.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      trophy2352 wrote:
                      I had the engine go through a 100 hour tune, change water pump, and whatever else they do. All seemed good afterwards but when put her in the water, the alarm sounded again. The alarm sounds a steady annoying sound sometimes short 5 - 10 seconds and sometimes 1 minute long. But only during running. The last trip was in the ocean and it sounded off and on all morning. Then for some reason, it stopped. All afternoon til we pulled into the harbor at 5PM, no sound.
                      This is the key. Every time you have it serviced and they change the drive oil, air gets trapped in the system. The first few hours of operation purges the air and the bottle level drops. If it drops marginally, the rocking of your boat will change the level, triggering the alarm intermittently. The remedy I now use is after servicing, I have the shop add a tube of drive oil on the bill and throw it in the boat, unless I still have some left.
                      Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                      Lake Havasu City, AZ
                      |
                      Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                      2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                      2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                      2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                      2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                      And 12 others...
                      In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X