Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Cleaning the Bilge
    • Jun 2017

apexaro1 wrote:
    Looking to fill up a toolbag for the boat... aside from a flare gun, any must have tools for a river repair?
    My experience is that rivers are self-healing, no tools required.

Comment

Wow! What a list from everyone. Looks like I need to go shopping. Problem is if I had half that stuff I wouldn't yet know what to do with it.

Aaron one thing I have learned is to bring a jump kit in case you need to jump start a dead battery

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Wayne! Found a good recommendation was the Peak brand booster... from another post here

Comment

Couple things I don't boat without which I didn't see, sorry if I missed it:
          • 5/16" nut driver. So much easier to work with hose clamps than a slotted screwdriver it's not even funny.

I have a cheap HF on the boat, I think I'll be replacing it with one of my Klein 11-in-1 drivers from home. I also have a MasterMind at home, it's great for nuts in hard to reach areas... I use it for winterization.
          • Rescue tape... the silicon self-fusing kind. I keep two rolls, use it on the lines every once and a while.
          • Large water pump pliers, can be used for lots of things but specifically the nuts on the thru-hulls and cockpit drains.
          • Huge fuse assortment for everything... ATC and AMI for the SafetyHub. All of the critical systems are on the boat's original factory circuit breakers.
          • DVM. The $3 Harbor Freight version is fine, I have an inexpensive quality model on board though.
          • As many have mentioned, 1/4" quick connect terminals, butt connectors and crimpers, as well as a wire stripper.
          • Also mentioned but a favorite, all of my boxes in everything have wire ties... one of the greatest inventions IMO

Comment

• JimMc
            Guru
            • Dec 2003

ishiboo wrote:
            Couple things I don't boat without which I didn't see, sorry if I missed it:
            • 5/16" nut driver. So much easier to work with hose clamps than a slotted screwdriver it's not even funny.

I second the nut driver for clamps. It's sooo much easier and faster than a screwdriver.

I keep all my tools organized in canvas zippered bags I bought at Lowes. The bags all go into a large soft side tool bag aka Riggers bag.

I keep a DVM on board as well. I made a REALLY long negative wire with a clamp so I can always use my negative buss as a reference point.

A full set of fuses, lamps, wire terminals of all size & clamps. Several rolls of various size wire.

Assortment of nuts, bolts and screws.

Impeller and pump kits. Spare fuel filters. Filter wrench.

Corded and Cordless soldering irons.
            Jim McNeely
            New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
            Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
            Brighton, Michigan USA
            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

This is an excellent thread! I always wonder if I have the right stuff, and I usually find out that I do not when i actually need it.

I am going to add some tools to my kit after reading this.

I see that no one mentioned a full cooler, plenty of anchor line, a functioning VHF, cell phone and a comfortable pillow. Remember, if it isnt an emergency - don't sweat it

Comment

• Eyeman
                Seasoned Member
                • Oct 2009

apexarol1, the only MUST have is a BoatUS membership card. I've never used a part on the water. Do the maintenance BEFORE going out and belts, hoses, filters, spark plugs, impellers, oils, grease, etc.... will not be necessary.

Basic tools only; screwdrivers, channel locks, needle nose, vise grip, socket set, flashlight, electrical tape, 1/4" - 15/16" box end wrenches and you should be good to go. Those all in one kits and a few supplements are all you should need. Oh ya, I forgot a lighter or matches - so you can smoke a cigar while you wait for a tow.

The only time I was towed was due to a fuel vapor lock issue that could not have been fixed on the water.
                1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
                1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
                1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
                2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
                Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
                South Bay Marina

Comment

I cant believe that no one has said anything about a good flashlight

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:
                    We have an orange 5 gallon bucket with a lid from Home Depot.. we keep tons of things in it and one for emergency stuff we take with us on the Zodiac when we venture off to an island.. its seconds as a seat when the Capt steers the Zodiac.. keeps everything dry and being in a bucket, stows away nicely and nothing falls out.. fits under the master berth bed, or a corner in the engine room.
                    Nothing pumps faster faster than a scared seaman with a bucket. Lots of other handy uses as well. it's a great way to store spare anchor rode. Works good as a fire extinguisher for some fires as well.

Comment

billsguns wrote:
                      Toolbox is too small... I actually have a cheap little free one I grew in, but my flashlights/spotlights are not in the toolbox and I use them a lot more frequently.

Comment

• Eyeman
                        Seasoned Member
                        • Oct 2009

billsguns wrote:
                        It's on my list!!!
                        1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
                        1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
                        1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
                        2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
                        Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
                        South Bay Marina

Comment

Scary wrote:
                          Nothing pumps faster faster than a scared seaman with a bucket. Lots of other handy uses as well. it's a great way to store spare anchor rode. Works good as a fire extinguisher for some fires as well.
                          that is great hahha

Comment

Eyeman wrote:
                            apexarol1, the only MUST have is a BoatUS membership card. I've never used a part on the water. Do the maintenance BEFORE going out and belts, hoses, filters, spark plugs, impellers, oils, grease, etc.... will not be necessary.

Basic tools only; screwdrivers, channel locks, needle nose, vise grip, socket set, flashlight, electrical tape, 1/4" - 15/16" box end wrenches and you should be good to go. Those all in one kits and a few supplements are all you should need. Oh ya, I forgot a lighter or matches - so you can smoke a cigar while you wait for a tow.

The only time I was towed was due to a fuel vapor lock issue that could not have been fixed on the water.
                            ah, cigars... an absolute must have!!! Ive been on search for true cubans, no luck so far. Now w a boat im thinkin of takin a month off and heading to cuba, wanna go? :kidding ... or am i? haha

Comment

Working...