Source for anchor line in the Pacific Northwest-gctid395850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source for anchor line in the Pacific Northwest-gctid395850

Does anyone know a good source for anchor line in the PNW (Washington/Northern Puget Sound).

I'm about done with my anchor install project on my 21' Santiago. I'm trying to save some money but not be penny wise pound foolish. I'd be happy to splice in my own thimble and such.

I have seen the range from .31/foot to .67/foot which doesn't sound like much at first but at 600 feet that's the difference between $188 and $402 for the SAME LENGTH and GRADE ROPE !!!!! $200+ dollars difference !!!

So anyway, if someone knows a good source locally (to me) for decent yet not overpriced rope to use for anchor line, I'd appreciate the heads up.

Also, while I'm asking... what is everyone carrying for length of rope on boats around the islands? vs what you use mostly.
    Aquatic Muse
    Mount Vernon, WA
    MMSI: 367498870
    '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Try a rigging shop that sells chain, wire rope and line.

or get an account with fisheries supply in seattle and you should get a discount, I favor new England rope or Samson rope.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Check Seattle Marine - http://www.seattlemarine.net/product...y=&pageStyle=P

Comment

Dunlap Marine Industrial on Marine View Drive in Everett. They have any line you might want. They're a commercial outfit, but have some very cool stuff. (and reasonably priced)
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Are you wanting to anchor somewhere specifically(deep)?

600' of line sounds like alot, most people I know run 200-300 on their smaller boats but they only anchor for lunch/fishing not for overnighters where you want to go with more scope like 7:1 instead of around 3:1.

I just used a roll of 3/8 crab pot line on my last boat, haven't got an anchor setup for the current one yet.

Comment

Try Second Wave in Fremont

Comment

Thanks for the tips so far... I'll check them all out. I may go to 3/8" line. According to some sources that will work fine and still be easy to handle.

Not really planning on needing 600' but figured I'd have two 300' lengths. We do plan on visiting the Islands and Canada and I just like to be prepared as much as possible.
              Aquatic Muse
              Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

I bought one of those 150' roles at Walmart for like $40 or $50, can't remember, and I think its 7/16. I also have 30feet of chain. That was a little over $100 at Loews. Oh, and my boat is a 2252 with a hardtop.

Comment

While we're on the subject...

Is there any reason to NOT go with 3/8 twisted vs 1/2 twisted?

The anchor (bruce) and 24' of 5/8 chain weigh about 50 lbs.

I have read,1/8" for every 9' of boat, so 3/8 seems to be "right" and it's still easy to handle manually (no windless). Of course easier to stow.

Just looking for input from the hive mind. '79 21' Santiago

Thanks in advance
                  Aquatic Muse
                  Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

If you're handling the line manually, I'd opt for the larger diameter. Your hands will thank ya.
                    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

You could try this seller on ebay Member id northstarmarinesupplies . I think their prices are quite good, much better than north of the border. They appear to operate out of Blaine WA.

Typically twice your boat length in chain plus 250 rhode is sufficient - the waters that are safe for anchorage are no deeper here than in your own waters The exception to that would be Princess Louisa Inlet but you don't want to try and anchor there, you tie to the docks or floats if you're lucky enough.

With 21 ft I would be happy with 3/8ths and some gloves or 1/2" which IMO is overkill for 21ft I have yet to deploy more than 200-250 ft and typically much less. We have anchored in many achorages in yours and our own areas. More often than not you need a good sternline too - I have found a need for more length in that than the anchor rhode.

It's impossible to sleep if you set at 7:1 while everyone else is on chain at no more than 4:1 scope. That's why I recommend more chain than the typical boat length. When you find a place you like you may find a few dozen others that like it too and you have to fit in with them.

Dropping 7:1 will hold the boat better but will normally cause some excitement in close anchorages, especially when the inevitable happens.

Remember that Anchor lines should not float but stern tie lines MUST float. Stern lines can be smaller and long enough to loop back to boat for easy retrieval.
                      2003 Trophy Pro 2359; Rebuilt 5.7L Vortec longblock (crate) using rest of the previous owners freeze destroyed 5.0L. Now fully FWC Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive.

Comment

Thanks nottingham88..

For now I'm going to stick with the 24' of heavy chain I already have, but your point is well noted on that... maybe next year. The Admiral and I were experimenting with line, and we've settled on 7/16 rode (or is it rhode). 3/8's just felt too small and 1/2 just seems a bit unwieldy and takes up a lot of room. 7/16 seem seem just right and with some good grippy gloves will be fine. I'm going to get a reel of 3/8" Polypropylene for the stern line. I also have a smaller danforth style anchor with about 24' of chain and 100 foot of 3/8's line in a bucket as a backup.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I just never had to buy this stuff for myself and never paid attention to the specifics of what was being used when I was out with others. Also, things are bit unique around here. I don't really plan on "pleasure anchoring" that much. We'll mainly hook to bouys and docks when we can for lunch and to watch the traffic go by, but in an emergency plenty of rope is low cost insurance if you need it, and quite handy if you need to help someone else.

Thanks
                        Aquatic Muse
                        Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Working with Seafair, Seafair used to purchase all of their line from Pacific Industrical in South Park. They now purchase their line from LFS Marine. I believe they're located in Bellingham.

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                            Dunlap Marine Industrial on Marine View Drive in Everett. They have any line you might want. They're a commercial outfit, but have some very cool stuff. (and reasonably priced)
                            +1

or Redden Marine Supply in Bellingham.

Comment

Just to follow up on this, I ended up at Washington Chain in South Seattle. Yes, they mainly have chain, but they have rope too. Nice rope and great prices. Great enough to warrant a trip to Seattle to pick it up. If you need chain, they can hook you up as well (no pun intended). Really nice folks too. No storefront really... Call'em up and order what you need... drop by "will call" and pick it up. 7/16" 3-ply twisted Nylon worked out to only 22 cents per foot and 600 feet of 3/8 yellow poly line for $15.00.
                              Aquatic Muse
                              Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X