new to me 1989 2655-gctid395372

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to me 1989 2655-gctid395372

I bought a 1989 2655 Sunbridge with a triple axle aluminum trailer. When we started the 5.7L engine at the lake it ran smooth but started foaming up (water/oil mix) we are taking the OMC engine out and replacing it with a 1985 Mercruiser 5.7L (same rated HP). we are swapping all the items to make it compatible. I have the stock OMC stern drive unit and a 15 x 13 prop. i will post how this works out.

i am going to rebuild the engine i took out, after having a machine shop check everything out. after reading here i am not confident that this will be enough power. i am rebuilding the OMC to a 383.

My question is:1) will i need to change the out drive and if so how hard is it to change the OMC to a DUOPROP?

2) at about 320 hp, will this be enough to cruise at 22-25 mph?

hi only 3000

your outdrive is omc ? has a big rubber boot threw the transom, they can be hard to get parts for and alot of places at least here in maine won;t work on them. don't quote me 100 percent but i don;t think you can duo prop them, i would go with a merc or volvo outdrive, as far as the motor goes. it may say omc but 10-1 it is a gm block, standard chevy 350, just made for marine application, diff cam, brass freeze plugs what not, so another engine should bolt right up to the drive. just make sure you get the same rotation engine, sorry i can;t help you with speed maybe some others on here that have your boat could help. i just looked up your boat online nice boat congrats, the ones i saw had single 260 hp motors if that helps.

Comment

I have the same boat as you. I would ditch all the OMC junk (just my opinion) and repower with whatever you want. My boat was repowered by the previous owner in approx 2007. (5.7l OMC Cobra to Mercruiser 5l MPI with Bravo11). I bought the boat cheap (a lot less than what the engine package cost). As far as performance / speed, it is not a rocket ship. Using trim tabs etc it gets on the plane with no problem. I cruise around 23mph @ 4,000RPM, 20mph @ 3800RPM. Fuel economy is as OK as it will ever be on a boat. The previous owner told me the 5l MPI is much better than the old 5.7 / Cobra. If I were repowering I may have gone with a larger engine, I don't really know. My mechanic has told me my boat performs very similar to another 2655 he works on with a much older carb 7.4 Mercruiser with Bravo drive, but my fuel economy is better. Overall we are very happy with this boat.
      David
      1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

tdriver wrote:
        • 1 wrote:
        • your outdrive is omc ? has a big rubber boot threw the transom, they can be hard to get parts for and alot of places at least here in maine won;t work on them. don't quote me 100 percent but i don;t think you can duo prop them, i would go with a merc or volvo outdrive
        • as far as the motor goes. it may say omc but 10-1 it is a gm block, standard chevy 350, just made for marine application, diff cam, brass freeze plugs what not, so another engine should bolt right up to the drive.

• 1 wrote:
        • You are thinking of the OMC Stringer Drive that Bayliner discontinued using after 1986.
        • Correct for the most part.

To the OP here...., don't hap-hazardly build a 383 without researching for info regarding the subtle differences between the automotive build, and a correct Marine build.

If you go with a Duo Prop drive, you very likely won't need the 383.

Volvo Penta = Duo Prop

Merc = BIII drive

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

First of all, congratulations on an older outstanding boat. We love our twin ,to it, 1988 2655. Ours had a Ford 460 330 hp with King Cobra out drive. I changed the motor and out drive to a Volvo Penta with dual props and love it. The boat is older but it looks great. I felt that to duplicate the boat vrs the new motor and out drive I would have been down about $45000 on a 3055. I won't do a two foot upgrade and with the newer Euro design the 2855 it's not that any bigger than mine. Find a newer 2655 Euro design and compare it to your 1999 2655 and do the same with the 2855. Bottom line if you love the boat keep it and fix it like new or pay big money for a newer one. PS mines paid for. Garchar
          GARCHAR
          1988 2655
          2009 Volvo Penta 5.7 300 hp DP F3s
          Twice Past Commodore
          Northwest Outboard Trailer Sailors, Eugene,OR

Comment

we took the "Licenses to Chill" out today. Pretty good day. here is how things went.

1) Engine ran good, but i think i need a new prop. Got up on plane at 4000 rpm at 19 mph with the help of trim tabs. WOT was 4500 rpm at 21 MPH. Engine held 60 psi oil, 150 degree water, 13 1/2 volt. We ran the boat off and on for 2 hrs followed by a 45 min constant 4000 rpm. Engine did well, but was hoping to have better cruise at lower rpm and a little more top end. What do you guys think? A 15 x 15 or 15 x 17 prop?

2) Drive worked well in forward. Had slipping sound as it tried to go into reverse. After a few try it finally hooked up. This happen every time. Is this a cable adjustment?

3) The steering pulls to port a good bit. Can this be a trim adjustment?

4) DAM it was hot here in Georgia today! A good day at the lake, water was nice. Headed back out tomorrow.

5) You guys are great. I love this website. My "Admiral" thinks i love you guys more than her. LOL

Comment

I paid $3000.00 (hence the screen name)for the boat sitting on a triple axle aluminum trailer. It also came with a portable Air, Fish finder, chart plotter, Bimini top with all the surrounds and all these in good to excellent condition. I have some money set aside to do some repairs.

I paid cash for it and it MINE. LOL

Happy boating.

Comment

Glad to hear that the cruise went well.

How clean is the hull? Your WOT RPM's are about right, but the speed is slow. Is that speed GPS or on the speedo? If speedo it could be wrong. It is best to use the tabs to get up on plane. It helps push the bow down and get you up on step quicker. Then let off the tabs to increase speed and efficiency.
                Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                1998 3055 Ciera
                (yes, a 1998)
                Previous boat: 1993 3055
                Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                Sea Doo XP
                Sea Doo GTI SE
                Life is short. Boats are cool.
                The family that plays together stays together.
                Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

only3000 wrote:
                  I paid $3000.00 (hence the screen name)for the boat sitting on a triple axle aluminum trailer. It also came with a portable Air, Fish finder, chart plotter, Bimini top with all the surrounds and all these in good to excellent condition. I have some money set aside to do some repairs.

I paid cash for it and it MINE. LOL

Happy boating.
                  Man you got a deal.
                  Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                  1998 3055 Ciera
                  (yes, a 1998)
                  Previous boat: 1993 3055
                  Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                  Sea Doo XP
                  Sea Doo GTI SE
                  Life is short. Boats are cool.
                  The family that plays together stays together.
                  Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X