ABYC bogus construction codes.-gctid394650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABYC bogus construction codes.-gctid394650

Ao I have been restoring my boat and my intent has been to follow the ABYC construction codes.

Now as I go along I find many conflicts. My first conflict of was the fuel pump. ABYC code states the electric fuel pump must be with in 12" of the carburator. Fine all is good I can do that and I get why they want it that way. So now the problem. My coastguard aproved marine constructed fuel pump requires that the fuel pump must be installed below the fuel tank.(holly red label marine pump). Sooooo unless my tank is above my engine which is against ABYC code that code isnt going to happen.

Next the ignition wire ...switch to starter solenoid and.is supposed to be yellow with a red stripe. Here is the problem there is no manufacturer that makes marine grade wire in the size and color needed to follow the code. There are other wires in the ABYC code that have the same problem. Yeah I know I can just mark the wires but thats not the point. I realize that ABYC is a private entity but some day it may be a government requirement.

Some say if we dont follow ABYC code we will go to hell. Some say if we dont follow the code insurance may not pay up.

Mostly im just ranting as the industry asks us to follow impossible regs. Why do. they even have them written if it cant be followed?

I am just getting started on many of the systems on my boat. I cant wait to find out all the other stupid dribble they try pawn off on us.

So if any one knows where I can find a marine grade#8 gage wire thats yellow with a red stripe I would love to buy some
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

There have been several discussions over the past years regarding to code and honestly I would only use them as a guideline. I also have seen way to much conflicting information. Not at all the marine bible it is made out to be.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

yachtman wrote:
      Ao I have been restoring my boat and my intent has been to follow the ABYC construction codes.

Now as I go along I find many conflicts. My first conflict of was the fuel pump. ABYC code states the electric fuel pump must be with in 12" of the carburator. Fine all is good I can do that and I get why they want it that way. So now the problem. My coastguard aproved marine constructed fuel pump requires that the fuel pump must be installed below the fuel tank.(holly red label marine pump). Sooooo unless my tank is above my engine which is against ABYC code that code isnt going to happen.
      ABYC allows 48" to the carburetor. The goal is to reduce the amount of pressurized hose to fail and spray fuel all over. You typically do not want the hoses to dip below the tank, because a failure would siphon all the fuel out of the bilge.

So, the Holley Red even having the "marine" label is probably not the best idea for a boat.

Next the ignition wire ...switch to starter solenoid and.is supposed to be yellow with a red stripe. Here is the problem there is no manufacturer that makes marine grade wire in the size and color needed to follow the code. There are other wires in the ABYC code that have the same problem. Yeah I know I can just mark the wires but thats not the point. I realize that ABYC is a private entity but some day it may be a government requirement.
      ABYC are primarily guidelines for boat manufacturers. When they buy wire, they buy a solid color wire and have the stripe added. As you can imagine, it's fairly difficult for retail companies to stock every possible combination of solid color + stripe. I would just use the solid color and label, or use a paint marker or permanent marker to add the stripe. Waytek and some others may also do very small quantity striping, but don't hold your breath.

How did you want them to handle this? Ensure that every striped color was available on the market, or use all easily-accessible solid colors and duplicate them?

Some say if we dont follow ABYC code we will go to hell. Some say if we dont follow the code insurance may not pay up.
      ABYC is not code.

Your insurance will pay whether or not it follows all ABYC regs, but realize if you do something borderline negligent you may have issues - and if you follow all/most of ABYC, you can avoid most of that

Mostly im just ranting as the industry asks us to follow impossible regs. Why do. they even have them written if it cant be followed?
      They can be, and they're not regulations... they're recommendations.

Comment

Dave, I'd mount the pumps at an elevation that meets the fuel pump manufacturer's requirements.

There is an approved marine fuel line that should work for this, or you make up custom steel lines.

I would want my starter motor solenoid circuits to be yellow/red stripe like what has been standard for years now.

Apparently these guys say that they can custom die wire to meet your color code..... including the stripes.

It looks like these guys have this in stock.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I wouldn't try to fully apply ABYC on a partial refit. Apply it where it makes sense and meet the intent where it doesn't. You will not be able to comply fully because you'll be forever bumping into old equipment that doesn't meet new standards.

Yellow primary wire is readily available. I would use yellow and add a red stripe with a red Sharpie marker to the last few feet of wire at each end of the circuit.

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
            ABYC allows 48" to the carburetor. The goal is to reduce the amount of pressurized hose to fail and spray fuel all over.

You typically do not want the hoses to dip below the tank, because a failure would siphon all the fuel out of the bilge.
            This is why we install the anti-siphon valves at the fuel tank fittings.

There is just enough resistance (created by the spring pressure against the check ball) to prevent a siphon, yet it allows for the fuel pump to pull past the ball.
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
              This is why we install the anti-siphon valves at the fuel tank fittings.

There is just enough resistance (created by the spring pressure against the check ball) to prevent a siphon, yet it allows for the fuel pump to pull past the ball.
              Sure, but they do go bad. The factory setups all have the hoses above or basically level with the top of the tank. It's a preference, not a requirement.

ABYC codes will allow that to be installed, you just have to have the pump basically sitting near the bottom of the bilge to get below an in-bilge tank, and then no more than 48" of hose from the output to the carburetor. It must be within 12" of "the engine" (not 12" of the carburetor), but given 48" that's pretty hard to get away from anyway

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
                ............... It must be within 12" of "the engine" (not 12" of the carburetor),
                Dave, if this is so, then there's your answer for that portion.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Ok so i went back and re read the fuel system requirements. Ok i'll give you that one it does say 12" from the engine not the carb but the wire issue is still there. I spoke.to ancoe my self regarding that.
                  1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

The ABYC code is an ongoing, evolving list of construction standards for manufacturers. Your boat was built in 1980, to 1980 standards. Your insurance company knows that. A marine surveyor may list a variety of items that are not up to current code but were standard practice at the time of construction and may suggest that these items be brought up to current code but as noted, often times this is not practical.

I've never had an insurance company turn up their nose because everything on the boat was not up to current code. They just want to get a warm and fuzzy feeling that the boat is in a safe condition and ain't gonna blow up, sink or cause a claim.

Comment

Working...
                    X