unpleasant odor from head system-gctid394613

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unpleasant odor from head system-gctid394613

I recently repaired my Jabsco Marine toilet. It has been pumped out and has only a little waste in it now. The problem is an odor. I used a lemmon scented additive to the holding tank and that smell is prominent. I hear about checking the vent, but have no idea where it is or how. I have looked at the hoses, none appear to be leaking, nor does any part of the system I can see. Seems to me the smell is the strongest in the area under the deck, where the tank is. Again I can see no leak, all is dry. When I purchased the boat, the macerator ( know spelling is off, sorry ) was disconnected . but the switch valve was broke so half could go overboard and the other to the tank. I removed the valve and properly secured that hose, so the only place the waste can go, is to the tank. I would greatly appreciate any insight or information that anyone might have.
    Raymond 14
    1997 3388ES
    twin merc 350 inboards

I think the most common problem is the hose from toilet to tank; they need to be replaced after a while.

Comment

iceclimber wrote:
      I think the most common problem is the hose from toilet to tank; they need to be replaced after a while.
      yes you need to change out the hoses too.. doesnt matter how much you spend on smell pretty toilet stuff.. the hoses hold the stench and all you have is a smell like someone pooped a christmas tree lingering.. lol

Comment

Well those tanks never really get thoroughly pumped clean tho, right?

I recall last year I was getting gas at the dock and a guy had his holding tank pumped out as much as possible.

Then he added maybe 5 gallons of fresh water and pumped again - still lots of brown showing

So they added fresh water again and now pumped it for the 3rd time in a row,,,,and still sucked out lotsa brown & ugly stuff

So I am thinking that they never get very clean,,,,or empty?

Comment

There are three reasons you may have odors.

1) The hoses are permeated. Take a wet rag, rub the hoses and smell the rag. Bad?, it's the hoses.

2) Urine has a lot of minerals in it. After a few years, the hoses will be solid with minerals. Old timers will pour vinegar down the head from time to time as maintenance or replace the hoses.

3) The holding tank vent is undersized or kinked. Odors will gather in tanks that are not vented well. I've never seen a Bayliner that had an adequate vent.

The new white sanitation lines are much better. The trick is to stick the hose end into boiling water, then slide it onto the barb. Too much heat and the hose collapses. Too little and you can't get it on the barb. *** Please be careful when doing this ***

Comment

hmmm I never heard of adding Vinegar to the tank... guess its like douching it or something??? its alot cheaper then the head deoderant stuff they sell.. 2.00 a gallon at Costco... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Comment

I don't know if I am doing this right ( adding to mu org. post ) Thanks to all. To Monterey10, can you tell me where the vent would be, I don't have a clue.
              Raymond 14
              1997 3388ES
              twin merc 350 inboards

Comment

Exactly what are you using for the holding tank additive?
                Captharv 2001 2452
                "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

I don't recall what the name is, it is lemmon scent and states it is designed for the use. It was in the boat when I purchased it.
                  Raymond 14
                  1997 3388ES
                  twin merc 350 inboards

Comment

RinnyBeth wrote:
                    hmmm I never heard of adding Vinegar to the tank... guess its like douching it or something??? its alot cheaper then the head deoderant stuff they sell.. 2.00 a gallon at Costco... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
                    The vineger helps dissolve the calcium in the waste lines.
                    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                    Twin 350 GM power
                    Located in Seward, AK
                    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

There are 2 main additives used in the marine heads:

KO by Raritan, and Odorlos. I use the odorlos and its worked for me over the last 11 years I have owned the boat.

Just because the PO had used something, it does not necessarily mean that its the best for the job.
                      Captharv 2001 2452
                      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
                        Well those tanks never really get thoroughly pumped clean tho, right?

I recall last year I was getting gas at the dock and a guy had his holding tank pumped out as much as possible.

Then he added maybe 5 gallons of fresh water and pumped again - still lots of brown showing

So they added fresh water again and now pumped it for the 3rd time in a row,,,,and still sucked out lotsa brown & ugly stuff

So I am thinking that they never get very clean,,,,or empty?
                        If you look at how they are connected, the 1 1/2 pipe or hose is mounted on the side, not the bottom so it doesn't get drained totally.

Comment

There are 2 main additives used in the marine heads:

KO by Raritan, and Odorlos. I use the odorlos and its worked for me over the last 11 years I have owned the boat.

Just because the PO had used something, it does not necessarily mean that its the best for the job.
                          Agreed, using anything else will just bring you misery. You may need to really flush out the system and then give it a few months for the new products to start working if the previous owner was using chemical products.

Comment

Working...
                          X