Avanti 34: water in forward void-gctid347222

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avanti 34: water in forward void-gctid347222

I recently bought a 34' Avanti (1987). Looks pretty good so far, but I just find something that bothers me on two levels.

In the forward stateroom, underneath the berth, there are three access hatches. On the right and left, the hatches open to a couple of relatively small storage spaces. The third access is on the centerline, all the way forward. When I opened that access to inspect the space, I found that it is a void that is about 18" wide, that is open down to the bare fiberglass inside the hull.

The problem is that there is about 6" of water standing in the bottom of this void. So, first of all, I can't tell where the water came from (I assume that it must have leaked in from the anchor chain locker, which is above, and forward of this void.) Second, and more troubling, is that I can't find any sort of limber holes or other path that would allow this water to drain into the aft bilge, where the bilge pumps would take care of it.

So I can bail and sponge the water out, that's not an issue, but I don't want a water collection spot that has no provision to take the water overboard. And, by the way, it is a fairly large void, and it would be a shame to not have it available as storage.

Is anyone familiar with this situation, and what the intended design solution is?

Thanks, WLW

I suspect you are right about the source being the anchor locker. Not familiar with your particular model but a 2455 I owned did not have a drain hole for the anchor locker until I installed one. If you have a clam shell cover outside on the hull that is in the right spot for a locker drain, make sure the drain itself is not plugged with mud/sand/etc. If you can't find an existing drain, you'll want to add one - pretty simple.

Comment

what model?

my centerline access is towwards the stern. Have never had water in there, but in a covered slip. I do have a small leak in the forward hatch but that drips straight to the bed.

Comment

Also inspect your rub rail. Many leaks come from them.

Any port holes? That could be the source as well. And the bow eye could also allow some water to enter.

As far as limber holes, I believe that would be against code.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Rub rail is one of the most common water leaks, water can come in from the top and the bottom, it is the hull to cap joint that leaks.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have an '87 Avanti 3450, so we probably have the same layout. I have noticed small amounts of water in the center hold but I have never see six inches of water. Infact I normally only see small amounts after a heavy rain or hauling the anchor several times - never enough to have to sponge out, etc. I will go to my boat tomorrow and "re-inspect" the situation to help further comments. I have seen water come in other places... as mentioned above, I have seen water leak in via the portal windows and also what appears to be at the rub rail seam.

Comment

No apparent water spotting or discoloration around ports. I suspect the most likely source is the anchor locker or rub rails as stated above. The thing that surprises me, but apparently everyone else takes as normal, is that there is no provision for water collecting in this void to drain to a low point to be pumped out in the normal course of things.

Comment

My 285 has the same issue, a very small compartment, triangular in plan view, that can collect water from the rode locker. No limber hole to drain it. I forget to check it for months on end, and then have to sponge out 4"-6" of water. Usually I run a rag soaked in bleach around it too, because by that time it's started to mildew a little. The rode locker does have a drain to the outside, but some water always makes its way back toward this other compartment. I use the hook a lot, and the hawespipe cover isn't tight around the chain so some rain and spray can work their way in.

Comment

Tape some news paper to a few places and you will see where the water comes from.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                  X