FREE A/C Unit... some questions please-gctid394201

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FREE A/C Unit... some questions please-gctid394201

I have the chance to get a free A/C unit, either the hatch style or the permanent style that also does heat.

I know nothing of the permanent style or how difficult it is to install. I know I'll need two through hulls and some duct work, but that's all I know. Are these installs difficult, and given the choice, which would you take?

Gilligan wrote:
    I have the chance to get a free A/C unit, either the hatch style or the permanent style that also does heat.

I know nothing of the permanent style or how difficult it is to install. I know I'll need two through hulls and some duct work, but that's all I know. Are these installs difficult, and given the choice, which would you take?
    I would go with the permanent one. Difficulty depends on how the boat is laid out and I'm not familiar with yours. Even if you payed somebody to do it ,I would think it's still a good deal.

Comment

While the hatch style may not require much to be installed, if it were me, I'd go for the one with heater. But that's because I'm in Washington, and the weather here is always colder more than it is hotter.

Comment

Mike,

I had both. To me, the permanent style is the best. The hatch style is the pits! IMHO! We set our MERMAID unit to automatic and have the A/C to go to sleep at night and the heat to awake in the AM. You may be able to use your thru hull raw water intake for the water in for cooling. I would NOT use the head inatke though.
        Tony, Cape Cod, MA
        Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
        1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
        454 Merc Cruisers inboards
        "HOLODECK"
        2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
        www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

It took me about 16 hours to install mine. Well worth the time.
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks guys,

I may take the hatch unit to get me through the season and install the other unit when I'm out.

I may try to use the thru hull as Tony suggests - I guess the Head one could make things a bit nasty :hypnotysed:

I'm sure I'll have some install questions once the project gets underweigh.

thanks again.

Comment

tonyiiiafl wrote:
              Mike,

I had both. To me, the permanent style is the best. The hatch style is the pits! IMHO! We set our MERMAID unit to automatic and have the A/C to go to sleep at night and the heat to awake in the AM. You may be able to use your thru hull raw water intake for the water in for cooling. I would NOT use the head inatke though.
              Me too. Fooled around with the hatch type for one season. Went permanent, best investment so far...

Joey
              2007 Discovery 246
              5.0L MPI BRAVO III
              The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

I have a hatch style and I like it but it does have it's disadvantages. 1. It should be stowed while underway. 2. It is heavy and difficult for one person to move from hatch to storage space. 3. If my boat were any larger (21.5 Ciera Sunbridge) it would not be big enough to cool it. (I think mine is the 5000 btu size CarryOn portable, they now make a larger one. 4. With all the required handling, it is easy to break the control knobs off. I already had to replace my temperature control because of this.

Advantages: It will easily run with a 2K inverter style generator with plenty of power to spare for charging and other duties.

If my boat were bigger or even if I used my boat more I would opt for the perm A/C but for my boat size and occasional use, the portable is great for me. One week up at lake Powell, we were easily cooled down enough to sleep while other couples sweated all night.

Comment

Working...
                X