1996 Bayliner 3.0 wont start when hot-gctid394198

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 Bayliner 3.0 wont start when hot-gctid394198

I have a 1996 Bayliner Capri with a 3.0. The boat was running great and then we stopped for about an hour to swim and it would not restart. Had a problem similar last year and put on a brand new carb and coil it has bee n fine. Is there a problem with the coils on these? thanks

brimar14 wrote:
    ... we stopped for about an hour to swim and it would not restart....
    • Does the starter crank the engine ?
    • Is there spark?
    • Can you see/smell gas in the carb?
    • How long does it have to cool before it starts?

brimar14 wrote:
    .... Had a problem similar last year and put on a brand new carb and coil it has bee n fine....
    • Are you saying changing the carb and coil did not solve your hot starting problem?
    • Is this an intermittant problem - does it happen every time the engine is hot?

Comment

I had changed the carb (weber) and coil(sierra) last year and have had no problems until now. After about 3 hrs I was able to start it again. It had spark but it looked more orange then blue or white.

Comment

You may search for threads where others have reported the same issue. They come up from time to time. As I recall, often the problem is an electronic component, but you should double check the solutions others found. Does you boat have an electronic control module?

You may also want to check that your oil pressure switch, thermostat sender, and operator toggle switch are not at fault by shorting when they get hot. If you can duplicate the problem at the dock then it will save you headaches on the water.

Comment

wildman wrote:
          You may search for threads where others have reported the same issue. They come up from time to time. As I recall, often the problem is an electronic component, but you should double check the solutions others found. Does you boat have an electronic control module?

You may also want to check that your oil pressure switch, thermostat sender, and operator toggle switch are not at fault by shorting when they get hot. If you can duplicate the problem at the dock then it will save you headaches on the water.
          Thanks Dave I will check the older threads

Comment

Throwing parts at the engine is not the way to go. When the engine doesn't start are you missing spark or fuel ?
            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
              Throwing parts at the engine is not the way to go. When the engine doesn't start are you missing spark or fuel ?
              The spark seems to be orange in color which leads me to believe it is spark. The fuel is seems to be fine.

Comment

brimar14 wrote:
                The spark seems to be orange in color which leads me to believe it is spark. The fuel is seems to be fine
                If you see spark when it won't start, then you could rule out a problem with the oil pressure switch. It would be interesting to know if you see a different color spark when the engine starts. You should check that there is no corrosion on the spark plug wire terminals at the coil. You should also check for a cracked cap or worn terminals, and the rotor (and points if it has them).

Comment

Working...
                X