prop damage from electrolysis?-gctid393928

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prop damage from electrolysis?-gctid393928

I installed a brand new alum prop before launching for the season 2 wks ago. Boat is slipped at a marina at a freshwater lake without shore power connections at my dock. Yesterday I pulled the boat for some other maintenance issue and noticed that the paint has popped off the blades of the prop in small circles and these are raised to the touch. Last season the boat sat at the dock without much use due to a family illness. When I pulled it in the fall, there was extensive damage to that prop which is now being repaired. Looks to me like some electrolysis eating up the prop, the skeg had damage too. I replaced the zincs before the first launch this season. The only electrical component that I know had problems was a faulty stereo tuner, that I disconnected and removed. The wiring remains and I cleaned that up as best as i could. There could still be some corrosion on those wires which are live still.

Any ideas about this condition, and how do I check out the electrical current on the boat to rule things out? Thanks.

Joe

Got a galvanic isolator installed?

That's the first place to check. It may not be your boat at all.
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Sounds like cavitation heating up the prop to me. Pretty standard and nothing to worry about really. My 2355 and 3055 do this, it has so far shown no real adverse effects. The prop will have lots of what appears to be bubbles in the paint, they are raised and hard to the touch, if you scrape them off its just aluminum below.

Other things to consider.

How are your zincs? What kind of water are you in, are the zincs correct for the water type? Is your boat kept in the water?

I have not really seen real electrolysis damage to a drive or prop when the boat is kept out of the water, generally this takes some time to start to eat away at things. The more extensive damage to your skeg and prop, maybe you hit something? Can we see some pics? I could give a better guestimate if there were pics

Comment

SeaDog wrote:
        I installed a brand new alum prop before launching for the season 2 wks ago. Boat is slipped at a marina at a freshwater lake without shore power connections at my dock. Yesterday I pulled the boat for some other maintenance issue and noticed that the paint has popped off the blades of the prop in small circles and these are raised to the touch. Last season the boat sat at the dock without much use due to a family illness. When I pulled it in the fall, there was extensive damage to that prop which is now being repaired. Looks to me like some electrolysis eating up the prop, the skeg had damage too. I replaced the zincs before the first launch this season. The only electrical component that I know had problems was a faulty stereo tuner, that I disconnected and removed. The wiring remains and I cleaned that up as best as i could. There could still be some corrosion on those wires which are live still.

Any ideas about this condition, and how do I check out the electrical current on the boat to rule things out? Thanks.

Joe
        You should replace your anodes with magnesium or aluminum, and get rid of the zincs; magnesium is best for freshwater, and zinc for brackish/salt water. Aluminum is a great compromise for all water and hull material types (wood, glass, metal).

http://www.performancemetals.com/anodes/AnodeFAQs.shtml

Comment

biohazard wrote:
          sounds like cavitation heating up the prop to me. Pretty standard and nothing to worry about really. My 2355 and 3055 do this, it has so far shown no real adverse effects. The prop will have lots of what appears to be bubbles in the paint, they are raised and hard to the touch, if you scrape them off its just aluminum below.

This looks to me like it is eating the aluminum. The prop from last year was badly eaten up not damaged by hitting something submerged

other things to consider.

How are your zincs? What kind of water are you in, are the zincs correct for the water type? Is your boat kept in the water?

Fresh water lake

docked at the marina

using volvo penta zincs both in good shape, one is brand new

i have not really seen real electrolysis damage to a drive or prop when the boat is kept out of the water, generally this takes some time to start to eat away at things. The more extensive damage to your skeg and prop, maybe you hit something? Can we see some pics? I could give a better guestimate if there were pics
          will post pics tonite of the current prop as the other one from last year is at the repair shop

SEE MY OTHER COMMENTS IN THE QUOTATION

JOE

Comment

Pete thanks for that link. But I didn't see any for my VP outdrive. Mine doesn't have the "ears" on the ring like the ones in their pics do.

Joe

Comment

Working...
            X