lowrance fuel flow meter and sensor-gctid778900

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowrance fuel flow meter and sensor-gctid778900

now on my second in dash meter and third fuel flow sensor; model numbers LMF-200 meter and EP 10 sender. Has anyone had problems with these models???

I installed the LMF-400 and 2 sensors part way thru this past season. Working great and seems accurate. Very sensitive to fuel flow changes during boat trimming.
    Sea Venture
    2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
    Cruising the PNW and beyond.
    DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
    MMSI 316029971

Kirk
    Drinks well with others.

Comment

I installed 2 ,.2 years ago. No problem.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

Mine are 7 years old no problem at all. I have the fluid level on one tank need one more for the other tank. Saves me having to tell the unit how many gallons I put in the tank.

Ken
        Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
        The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

4 fuel flow sensors and 2 LMF 200 dash units and 2 paddle wheel speed sensors in one season. It will be out of warranty in march and if it quits again I will scrap the the whole thing and go with a different brand. So far I'm not impressed with Lowrance products or their customer service. The longest this thing worked was 2 days at a time and Lowrance customer service is sloooow at best on warranty replacements or even knowing their own products.
          1995 2858 7.4 B2 (Present boat)
          1988 2655 460 KC
          1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
          Commercial/Ind HVAC/R Service Tech.

Comment

Talking to Lowrance technical support is like talking to a 5 year old child, I probably spent over 4 hours total on the phone with these idiots and never got a straight answer or suggestion on what the problem might be. After about 30 minutes they pretended they couldn't hear you and hang up so you would have to call back and start the whole process again this happened 3 or 4 times and each time they give you a new incident number so now I have 14 incident numbers. Okay now I'm done with rant.
            1988 2655 460 KC
            1987 2150 5.0 Cobra

Comment

The sensor has to be installed after a good fuel filter and installed vertical. If the filter isn't filtering well it will damage it or if your fuel lines are deteriorating it will damage the sensor. If not vertical it won't work properly
              1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

My flow sensor is installed in the vertical position after the spin on filter/separator assy. I even sent them pictures to prove it was properly installed. After the 4th failed flow sensor they thought maybe the dash unit was causing the failures. I asked them if this could be the cause from the get go but they were reluctant to replace it and I finally received the replacement head and 5th flow sensor after the boat was put up for winter storage. I will install the new parts in the spring and hope for the best.
                1988 2655 460 KC
                1987 2150 5.0 Cobra

Comment

I have added spin on fuel filters at the tank and then have my fuel flow sensors and then the hoses going to the second fuel filter on the engine at the fuel pump so my sensors are between two filters and I've never had a problem

If yours are after the filter on the engine on the pressurized side between the fuel pump and the carburetor that might be part of the problem
                  Jim McNeely
                  New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                  Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                  Brighton, Michigan USA
                  MMSI # 367393410

Comment

"JimMc" post=779107 wrote:
                    I have added spin on fuel filters at the tank and then have my fuel flow sensors and then the hoses going to the second fuel filter on the engine at the fuel pump so my sensors are between two filters and I've never had a problem

If yours are after the filter on the engine on the pressurized side between the fuel pump and the carburetor that might be part of the problem
                    exactly the same setup i have , and working great since installation 2 years ago.

The flow meter is connected directly to my NMEA network and is displayed on my Raymarine MFD instrument.

Comment

"JimMc" post=779107 wrote:

Nope on the suction side of the pump after the filter with all new USCG approved fuel lines.
                      1988 2655 460 KC
                      1987 2150 5.0 Cobra

Comment

My guess is that being too close to the pump and not having a filter to buffer the effects of the pump may be part of the issue if sensors are failing.

I have:

Tank

18" Hose

Spin on Water Separating fuel filter

36" hose

Fuel flow sensor

18" Hose

Engine mounted filter

Fuel Pump

Hard pipe to carb

Carb

Lengths are approximate and vary port vs starboard.
                        Jim McNeely
                        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                        Brighton, Michigan USA
                        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Here's mine. Sounds similar to JimMc
                          Sea Venture
                          2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
                          Cruising the PNW and beyond.
                          DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
                          MMSI 316029971