Bottom Cleaning-gctid778546

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom Cleaning-gctid778546

So by now you might know I'm a tyro when it comes to in-the-water boats (my '89 Sunrunner spent all non-operational hours in my garage). Our beloved first 'big boat' is in the water now, and when I get back from Japan (where I am now) on 30 Nov, I plan to haul her out and TRY to do a good job of bottom cleaning (myself). I have a trailer for her (she's a 2855 Ciera Sunbridge). The bottom paint was done last spring; a hybrid ablative which seems to have kept most of the schmegma off the bottom over last summer (I did two haulouts; one to check issues and one to change zincs).

My question is, should I 'gently' use my pressure washer to clean off the bottom? Or just a brush? I want to maximize its life.

It will likely be on its trailer for the winter, buts it's possible we'll put her back into her slip following bottom cleaning and zinc replacement- as we might take her out on good weather days this winter (we don't have a plug-in storage location yet and she's not winterized).

Any help will be appreciated!

Haul it out ,get it off the trailer, put it on blocks and, power wash the bottom , get it clean. If you are going back into the water sand and apply bottom paint , if not wait until you do.

Roger
    2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
    Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2

Comment

Given that the boat isn't "winterized" you are proably in a region where hard freezes don't happen. I would first take a boat ride and run it up to my high rpm cruise. That would establish how well the ablitive is working. Once on the trailer I'd use the pressure washer and brush to prep the bottom for the next coat of paint if needed. I say if needed because it depends largely on the bottom paint you used. Some are made for long periods out of the water, most are made to launch soon after application and stay in the water. In either case I would get the bottom clean.

My soon to be sold 2950 Encounter is a year round in the water boat in Everett, WA. The marina water is brackish. The maximum I can get out of a paint job is 18 months. After that things get a bunch more difficult to clean off. It doesn't seem to matter whether I put on tributal tin, now illegal, copper, now illegal for pleasure boats (the logic of that escapes me) or the new environmentally friendly ablitive. Each of them cleaned up relatively easily if it stays wet. Not so much if it dries out, and rewetting it doesn't seem to work as well.

Let us know how it goes.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

"optimist_prime" post=778546 wrote:
        So by now you might know I'm a tyro when it comes to in-the-water boats (my '89 Sunrunner spent all non-operational hours in my garage). Our beloved first 'big boat' is in the water now, and when I get back from Japan (where I am now) on 30 Nov, I plan to haul her out and TRY to do a good job of bottom cleaning (myself). I have a trailer for her (she's a 2855 Ciera Sunbridge). The bottom paint was done last spring; a hybrid ablative which seems to have kept most of the schmegma off the bottom over last summer (I did two haulouts; one to check issues and one to change zincs).

My question is, should I 'gently' use my pressure washer to clean off the bottom? Or just a brush? I want to maximize its life.

It will likely be on its trailer for the winter, buts it's possible we'll put her back into her slip following bottom cleaning and zinc replacement- as we might take her out on good weather days this winter (we don't have a plug-in storage location yet and she's not winterized).

Any help will be appreciated!
        Since you used ablative paint, you can store it on the hard and not damage the paint. Use a power washer set just high enough pressure to clean it. If the paint is still working, splash it next spring as many ablative are multi season
        www.boatyardgm.com
        www.pacificyachtimports.net
        2002 Carver Voyager 57
        "Making Waves"
        3988 250 Hinos
        "The Dark Side"
        Alameda, California

Comment

Working...
        X