Battery charging with acr?-gctid778516

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dadrock33" post=778738 wrote:
    I've always been able to rely on Blue Seas website and reading Panbo and a few other blogs and listening to members here too . . . here's a link at Blue Seas: https://www.bluesea.com/systems/37/R..._ACR_SubSystem

While I enjoy working on electrical systems (working in the middle of one this weekend), they can sometimes get to be a bit more than I enjoy :S and that's when I lean on others. Check out the Blue Sea link above and see if that answers your questions.
    Very nice system, if you can afford the $500 price tag.

I also read the description, and I don't see the necessity (....unless you are using gel cell batteries that cannot handle a larger amperage once they reach - or near - full capacity). Since energy flows in the direction of least resistance, the lead acid or AGM battery with the lower charge will automatically take more of the juice being offered. Therefore, since the fully charged battery will take very little compared to the lesser charged battery, when would you ever want to shut one off when charging? What am I missing?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

I have a twin engine dual acr charging system.

I have a 3 bank 30 amp Charles battery charger. One to house one to port start battery. one to starboard start battery.

Mine is wired so that the starts are charged first each through their respective acr. When a start battery is charged it switches to the house bank. When both start batteris are charged both alternators are charging the house bank.

With the acr's and Charles smart charger I have never had a charging system work as well as what I have now. I have 2 L16 house batteries with 400 amps and 2 starts that are group 29s.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

"Dadrock33" post=778738 wrote:
        I've always been able to rely on Blue Seas website and reading Panbo and a few other blogs and listening to members here too . . . here's a link at Blue Seas: https://www.bluesea.com/systems/37/R..._ACR_SubSystem

While I enjoy working on electrical systems (working in the middle of one this weekend), they can sometimes get to be a bit more than I enjoy :S and that's when I lean on others. Check out the Blue Sea link above and see if that answers your questions.
        +1

My system is almost the same (without the Bluesea systems switch panel)

[attachment]32029 wrote:
        ACRwiring.png[/attachment]

I keep my MBSS in the #1 position. This allows me to select either battery with the dashboard mounted switches. I always start the engine with the START battery. Once engine is running, ACR joins the two batteries, so switch position becomes immaterial. When at anchor, I switch to the HOUSE battery. Bow thruster is powered directly of off the START battery so that even when the engine (i.e. alternator and ACR) are not running I can use the bow thruster and it draws from the START battery. Bringing the MBSS to #2 is intended for rare situations (HOUSE battery dead) and I can always use the dashboard switches to enable both START and HOUSE batteries. Finally, when MBSS is off, whole system is shut down.

P.S. Cordura switches on the dashboard are wired directly off of the HOUSE battery, not the common of the MBSS. Otherwise, if both batteries have been turned off switches become deactive and there is no way to enable the batteries. One way out of that situation is to set the MBSS to #2, enable at least one battery and then revert the MBSS to #1. Powering the switches directly off of the HOUSE battery is done to prevent this kind of a dance around.

Enjoy.
        Retired, computer expert / executive
        Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
        Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
        D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
        bdervisoglu8@gmail.com
        bulent@pacbell.net

Comment

"TenMile" post=778535 wrote:
          Actually going to disagree with green650 here. If you have the ACR there is zero need for a 2 bank charger. Hook your charger to either the House or Start battery -- whatever is easiest. When your ACR senses a charge it will combine both the House and Start and charge them both.

You're better off spending the money on a 3 stage charger with higher output (20-40A) rather than a multi-bank system (because your ACR already gives you that).

The ACR won't interfere with the charger -- but the reverse is true -- the charger would defeat the ACR if you hooked both banks together.
          Just be mindful if you have different types of batteries in each bank. they may like to be charged differently, different rates etc. For ex, if you have flooded lead as start, and gel in house, they wont want to be charged the same way.
          2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

I am wondering about hooking the same charger to the starting batteries and the house batteries. Don't both battery banks have to be the same size (AH)? Not very familiar with the ACR so maybe this negates problems with two different amp hour battery banks. The PO of Mr. Darcy had the two bank charger connected to two grp 31 FLA's on the starting bank, and a 430 amp hour house bank on the other. It fried the brand new 31's in about a week. Would an ACR have eliminated the problem? If someone already explained it I missed seeing it. I've got to stop doing the forum late at night.

Greg

P.S. Doug, are you up on this stuff? If so would you explain it to me?
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

"yachtman" post=778767 wrote:

I have a 3 bank 30 amp Charles battery charger. One to house one to port start battery. one to starboard start battery.

Mine is wired so that the starts are charged first each through their respective acr. When a start battery is charged it switches to the house bank. When both start batteris are charged both alternators are charging the house bank.

With the acr's and Charles smart charger I have never had a charging system work as well as what I have now. I have 2 L16 house batteries with 400 amps and 2 starts that are group 29s.
              Do you have a schematic for that set up that you could post?

Greg
              Newport, Oregon
              South Beach Marina
              1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
              Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
              Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

"peachypete82" post=778794 wrote:

Just be mindful if you have different types of batteries in each bank. they may like to be charged differently, different rates etc. For ex, if you have flooded lead as start, and gel in house, they wont want to be charged the same way.
                Yep -- agreed. In fact if you have batteries of two different chemistry types you should not be using an ACR at all.
                Terry
                1999 Bayliner 3388
                Twin Cummins 4BTA
                Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

"Mr. Darcy" post=778835 wrote:
                  I am wondering about hooking the same charger to the starting batteries and the house batteries. Don't both battery banks have to be the same size (AH)? Not very familiar with the ACR so maybe this negates problems with two different amp hour battery banks. The PO of Mr. Darcy had the two bank charger connected to two grp 31 FLA's on the starting bank, and a 430 amp hour house bank on the other. It fried the brand new 31's in about a week. Would an ACR have eliminated the problem? If someone already explained it I missed seeing it. I've got to stop doing the forum late at night.

Greg

P.S. Doug, are you up on this stuff? If so would you explain it to me?
                  I can take a shot. It does not matter if your battery banks are the same AH however they MUST be the same chemistry (eg both Lead Acid or Gel). An ACR is an intelligent device that combines two battery banks so a single charging source can charge them both (either an electric charger or an alternator). When it combines your two battery banks, essentially it creates one big battery bank. Said another way if your house system was 430AH and your start battery was 100AH the ACR would temporarily combine them to make a 530AH system. The two battery banks charge levels will equalize and the charging source will fill them both to the same level until it is disconnected. Once fully charged, the charge source will go into maintain mode for both banks. As soon as the ACR senses a voltage drop in one bank (e.g. during starting) it breaks the link until the charge source presents itself again (e,g, the alternator kicks in). The Blue Seas ones also will not allow a bad battery bank to be combined with a good one -- it tests that both banks will accept a charge and if one banks doesn't it will not allow them to combine. In short -- having an ACR ensures both banks are fully charged, and it prevents a bad bank from killing your entire system -- I install them in every boat now.

Battery chemistry matters because each battery type need different charge profiles to fully charge them to 100%. A typical Lead Acid battery needs 14.6-15V to fully charge it while a Gel type battery may only need 14.2V. If you're using an ACR and set your charger to one profile or another, either you undercharge your Lead Acid's and shorten their life or over-charge your Gel's and cause them to boil over (and shorten their life).
                  Terry
                  1999 Bayliner 3388
                  Twin Cummins 4BTA
                  Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                  Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

"Mr. Darcy" post=778837 wrote:
                    "yachtman" post=778767 wrote:

Do you have a schematic for that set up that you could post?

Greg
                    Well ill see what I can come up with. There used to be a thread but administration I guess decided it wasn't an important thread
                    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                    twin 454's
                    MV Mar-Y-Sol
                    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                    Twin chevy 350's inboard
                    Ben- Jamin
                    spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
                    X