2855 Oil pan-gctid393849

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2855 Oil pan-gctid393849

Hi I recently purchased a 1996 2855 with a 5.7 lx and found the oil pan is leaking just above the oil drain plug. Can the pan be changed in the boat or does the engine have to be lifted.

I know I shoudnt ask but will jb weld or solder work.

ThanksBob
    2001 Bayliner 3988 330 hp Cummins 6bta m3
    Located in Blaine Harbour Marina

you will have to pull the engine to replace the oil pan

even if you could get at all the pan screws the pan will

not drop low enough to clear the oil pump.im not sure about the

solder thing but i would imagine you could clean the pan as best

as you can,scrape the paint and any rust off the affected area

jb weld the hole then try to spray as much of the pan as possible

with like a rhino coat.you will have to really monitor that pan.

we have my buddys engine out right now on his 1998 2855 and

have rhino coated his pan.

Comment

yoeman wrote:
      Hi I recently purchased a 1996 2855 with a 5.7 lx and found the oil pan is leaking just above the oil drain plug. Can the pan be changed in the boat or does the engine have to be lifted.

I know I shoudnt ask but will jb weld or solder work.

ThanksBob
      Summer is too short as it is; I would try hard to defer the work, before I pulled the engine in mid-summer. I'd definitely try JB Weld, but monitor it closely through the rest of the season.

Comment

I'm in the same position on my 2355, I've decided to wait till the end of the season. After speaking with some shops they state that it the kind of project they look for in the off season to keep their mechanics working. They also said they would drop the shop costs during the off season.

I just check my oil every trip.

Comment

I have found when pulling the engine for a new pan " i do not believe in welding or jb welding the pan " you will find other work needs to be done on a engine and bilge area. IE: Rear seal might need replacing, cast plugs might need changing, or checking and maybe glass work, or stringer work..while out it's a good time for 3-4 coats on the engine makes it look nice.

When you do get the pan off clean it up spotless hold it up to bright sunlight... see any other pinholes letting light thru ?
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Definitely need to remove the engine to do this,

The engine in 2855 is not that hard to get out; I removed my 7.4L last summer (only because I had to). I was able to get it out and in one long day. Would I do it if I could put it off until the fall, definitely not? If it's not leaking badly, just keep an eye on it every time out.

You will find a bunch of other things you want to do when the engine comes out. As soon as the engine was out I wanted to wash and paint the bilge, but I never had time. Great time to change the bilge pump, but I never had time. I had a buddy waiting with a boom truck so I had to be fast. You are going to have an oily bilge anyway, so unless it's leaking badly it won't get much worse.

The biggest pain was actually the radar arch, it's just where you need to be to pull the engine up straight.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X