2150 Need advice on repowering-gctid778372

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2150 Need advice on repowering-gctid778372

Hi I have a 2150 and need advice on how to move forward with the engine that I have , It's a Volvo pinta that is parsley taken apart because it froze and cracker the manifold I was wondering if I was to replace it with a diesel what type of diesel engine would suit the existing stern drive

Ciaran

Attached files

Wexford, Ireland.
    Shetland 17ft
    1985 Bayliner 2150

Ciaran, changing to a diesel is a good thought, however the cost is pretty high. If the only thing wrong with your current engine is a cracked manifold, I'm guessing exhaust, and the rest of the engine is good, then the cost/benefit over the rest of the life of the engine verses diesel is a no brainer. It's not just the motor, your outdrive is geared for a motor that will top out at 4600-4800 rpm. A diesel, has its place, but if you are looking for more hard a$$ power, a bigger gas engine is a better choice IMO. I found this article that gives some sound thinking on the gas vs diesel question.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasNdiesel.htm

Bayliner can never be accused of overpowering a boat. I repowered my 1980 2950 Encounter when one of the 175 hp 470 4 cylinder Mercruisers split a block. I installed whole new 4.3L packages drives and all and increased my cruise speed while cutting my fuel burn. I had enough additional power that I was running the 4.3's at a much lower throttle setting.

Just my experience and opinion for what it's worth.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Cheers Pete and great advice I'll get her patched up and keep it so ,Could you give me an idea of fuel consumption per ltr of unleaded as I'm in Ireland ,you see we normally with our last boat ( my brother and I ) went out at the weekend and between us brought about 25ltrs of fuel but now with our project 2050 we are lost how much fuel to carry for say 5 or 6 hours boating ,I know conditions and part of the world come into it but a ball park figure or link to advice would be really welcome

And Pete thanks again for taking the time to reply
      Wexford, Ireland.
      Shetland 17ft
      1985 Bayliner 2150

Comment

I have, in the boat I'm selling, a pair of 2001 4.3LX mercruisers running 205hp each. The boat weights around 9,000 pounds and my year long average fuel burn is a little under 10 gallons per hour. If we are loaded for vacation and/or run into some heavy weather, the burn may be 14 gallons per hour for that leg. These are carbureted engines with 4bbl webers. I also run an E3 brand spark plug that gives me a few percent better economy.

The Volvo is going to be the same basic GM long block with a different connection to the drive and accessory configuration. I'm guessing that in the last 15 years there have been efficiency improvements and my guess is you should burn somewhere around five U.S. gallons per hour if you are running at under 3600rpm. With my four barrels, there is a significant increase, like to 18-20 gallons per hour if I cross that 3600rpm threshold cutting my miles per gallon from 2.6 to 1.9.

I would advise that once you get the boat running, have installed an hour meter and have confirmed that you have the proper pitch propeller that you bite the bullet and fill the tank. Keep a log of your hours, sea and wind conditions, rpms and speed run, and when and how much fuel was added to fill the tank. Many of the newer GPS's have features like trip odometers and average speed making things easier. You don't have to fill the tank every time, but I would until a pattern develops. When you can predict the number of liters you need to top it off by the hours the engine was on then you can let the quantity of fuel you carry drift down. I'm not keen on running on the bottom half of the tank as a normal practice. I've been in a few situations where I needed all of my reserve fuel to get to a safe harbor.

What kinds of things do you and your brother do when you go out? I'm sure it's more than just drifting around enjoying a pint. We do a fair bit of salmon fishing and crabbing for Dungeness crab as well as traveling from weekend to three and four week vacations with our boat

My dads mothers family (Roche) moved from Ireland to Wales at some point in the 1700's and went to sea out of Cardiff. Our branch of the Roche's has had at least one Master Mariner in every generation to the present. Two of my sons have been to Ireland. Our middle son marched in the St. Patrick's Day parade in Dublin in 2000, and our youngest son and his wife were there for a destination wedding last summer. Both want to go back and take more time for a visit.

Keep me posted on your progress.

Pete
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Our boat weighs about 1.6-1.8ton loaded burns 25-30 litres per hour at 19-23 knots 3000rpm running 5.7 Merc.

Comment

My recommendation would be to install a AMS 700 and believe me that will work.
            Just love being on my 3870............Bill
            1985 3870
            Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
            Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
            Live on board full time.
            North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

"Old Man With A Boat" post=778583 wrote:
              My recommendation would be to install a AMS 700 and believe me that will work.
              I didn't know what a "AMS 700" was so I googled it. Hmm, boats are referred to as girls so I guess that would work

hopefully I won't need one for at least 10 years.

Terry
              1982 3270
              Volvo BB 140 A's
              MS 3 trannys

Comment

Just thought I would throw that in. It does repower!!!! OK, now back to see if we can help Bullcruiser with his boat problem.
                Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                1985 3870
                Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                Live on board full time.
                North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

"Old Man With A Boat" post=778587 wrote:
                  Just thought I would throw that in. It does repower!!!! OK, now back to see if we can help Bullcruiser with his boat problem.
                  I laughed my arse off when I read what it was. Very funny.
                  1982 3270
                  Volvo BB 140 A's
                  MS 3 trannys

Comment

I have seen where individuals have used a Toyota diesel, Isuzu diesel I have seen used as well. I have also seen where a GM diesel has been used.

Before getting to deep in the weeds I would first check the integrity of the transom and the stringers. If those are suspect you would want to address those first.

Other things to consider with a project such as this is all the new rigging that will be required. Figure at the very least motor mounts, throttle control, wiring, additional gauge needs (boost for example) fuel tank flushed, potential bell housing fabrication to name a few. Develop a budget, then double it. This is no small undertaking. Do a ton of research.
                    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                    1998 3055 Ciera
                    (yes, a 1998)
                    Previous boat: 1993 3055
                    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                    Sea Doo XP
                    Sea Doo GTI SE
                    Life is short. Boats are cool.
                    The family that plays together stays together.
                    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Haha Ams 700 very funny but I see were ur coming from
                      Wexford, Ireland.
                      Shetland 17ft
                      1985 Bayliner 2150

Comment

Pete thank you again for that very detailed information and yes we will stop and fish among other things ( my brother loves his food ) last year we navigated from Wexford harbour to Enniscorthy but found it very easy to become beached because of the shallow water so we installed a transducer and a depth finder then recorded the entire river so when we were done we uploaded the chart to the social chart insight genesis website were everyone could use it and the Wexford harbour master was delighted with it aswell,

Up to that we traveled the inland waterways but every mile or so we had to open and close locks and wate for them to fill you get the picture, so we sold the little 17ft and baught the 2150 Bayliner project hoping to get her into Wexford harbour and out to sea .

Wexford has many a Roche family living around my area and Dublin is about an hour drive , it's lovely to have some history on your family I think it's very important to know your roots ,

Pete thanks again and I will digest your information and post more Questions if that's OK

Regards Ciaran
                        Wexford, Ireland.
                        Shetland 17ft
                        1985 Bayliner 2150

Comment

Just a few photos to give an idea of the work to do

Attached files

Wexford, Ireland.
                          Shetland 17ft
                          1985 Bayliner 2150

Comment

Working...