Shifter frozen in netural-gctid393734

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter frozen in netural-gctid393734

Resurrecting a 1983 bayliner capri 1950 open bow, AQ125 with 270 outdrive that I put in storage some years ago. 16, to be exact, working thru all the issues due to long term storage and have one remaining, the shift control is stuck in netural. I can pull it out to the throttle side and everything works fine, but when I push it back to shifter/throttle side, can't move control foward or back. Been so long since I've run this thing, can't remember if engine has to be running before shifter will work. Thinking this isn't the case and shifter was working fine when last used 16 odd years ago. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Disconnect the cables, see if the throttle moves. If yes then the problem is the cable, or the drive.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen wrote:
      Disconnect the cables, see if the throttle moves. If yes then the problem is the cable, or the drive.
      So, if it is the shifter cable, can it be unstuck or is a new one required?

Comment

Remove the shift mechanism cover from the drive. See if you can rotate the eccentric piston by moving the gear yoke (bell crank affair).

If not, disconnect the shift cable barrel fitting, and try it again.

The shift unit that you describe allows you to push a button, and then to pull out on it in order to gain "Throttle Only" mode... correct?

Perhaps the lever shaft is not moving freely IN/OUT, and when attempting to engage both throttle and shift action, you are not reaching this mode!

Does that sound correct to you?

It should not be that difficult to remove and take a look. It may need to be lubricated only.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
          Remove the shift mechanism cover from the drive. See if you can rotate the eccentric piston by moving the gear yoke (bell crank affair).

If not, disconnect the shift cable barrel fitting, and try it again.

The shift unit that you describe allows you to push a button, and then to pull out on it in order to gain "Throttle Only" mode... correct?

Perhaps the lever shaft is not moving freely IN/OUT, and when attempting to engage both throttle and shift action, you are not reaching this mode!

Does that sound correct to you?

It should not be that difficult to remove and take a look. It may need to be lubricated only.

Its the shifter cable, have it unhooked from mechanism which works fine with cable unhooked. Taking cable off the boat and will try to use WD40 to free up.

Comment

dsfriday wrote:
            ......... Taking cable off the boat and will try to use WD40 to free up.
            Don't waste your time. Replace the cable.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I totally agree new cable time. There will be numbers on the cable just buy the same.
              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

New cables are cheap. I just got a teleflex 12' cable for $30.

Well worth the swap.

Greg

Comment

Can you provide me with a good parts house for above

Comment

Cables are universal, get the right length with the rigth ends (33C IIRC?) and you'll be back in business.

Go2marine was where I got mine, good price and only a couple days to my doorstep.

Comment

Working...
                    X