Exhaust manifold and riser ?-gctid347042

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust manifold and riser ?-gctid347042

OK the boat is out of the water and the engines will be out by Friday so its time to start ordering new parts.

Here is my first question why is it that the only new complete exhaust kit (manifold and risers) that I can find at local part suppliers are over 1000.00 bucks

And on the net I can find them for 419.00? is there any thing I need to be looking out for when buying new exhaust?

1982 Volvo Chevy 350's

Any help and ideas about buying marine parts smart would be very much appreciated.

Scott I bought mine from here

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=53853097219

This is Dennis Moore's ebay site. His prices are good and his service is good. His kit comes with all the bolts and gaskets to do the job. Rick I think would vouch for him.

I purchase his aluminum manifolds if they have great weight savings and if you have a closed cooling system it might be a good option for you.

I have tried twice to post from my phone a semi long post regardimg your engines nd I have never been able to get it to post.

If you would like o will pm you my phone # and we can talk about it.
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

Scott, this manifold and riser was used from the late 70's well into the 90's.

Anyone producing an A-Market man, did so using identical dimensions, meaning that a Barr or Osco riser will fit onto an OEM manifold, and visa-versa......, so they should be very easy to find.

Anything but the AQ 200B or AQ 225B will work. The "B" is a 3" exhaust system.

So you'll be looking for AQ225 or AQ260 exhaust parts (also includes other model numbers, but I don't want to confuse you).

NOTE: almost all OEM riser to Y-pipe rubber couplers are too short..... Repeat..... almost all OEM rubber couplers are too short!

(see image below)

This means that the rubber coupler can easily become depressed into the scalloped areas of the riser where the spent sea water enters the exhaust flow.

One of the double band clamps ends up being tightened down over the scalloped area, eventually causing problems that lead to sea water restriction and over-heating.

This IS a Problem when too short! Trust me!

E-BasicPower.com shows that they have this 95mm ID soft wall exhaust hose.... but it too looks like they are pre-cutting to length.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hose-Marine-...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

Perhaps you could order these a few inches longer, and eliminate this problem.

This is your riser style.... no other will work with your system without modifying things.

Note the scallopped areas at the outlet.

The couplers must be long enough so that the two band clamps will squeeze down above the scallops (on the smooth area) .... not over the scallops.

Volvo Penta OEM p/n 855384 replaced w/ p/n 856891

Volvo Penta OEM p/n 835804 replaced w/ p/n 856883

This soft wall hose is a Metric ID hose, but it can be found. It is not wire re-enforced!

I highly recommend that you replace these by the foot, not by OEM part number.... again....., the OEM p/n will be too short.

Why???? and after all these years?????? ....... ya got me! rod

Scott, how were your engines pulled?

Flywheel covers attached, or left installed in the transom shields?

If pulled with the flywheel covers attached to the engines, you'll need new rubber cushions on the interior side when going back together.

If these are not replaced, you may have a water leak here. (interior cushion does the sealing... both together make up the rear engine support)

Here's what the "TOO SHORT" OEM couplers look like. The P/N is right there also.

IMO, these need to be approximately 2" longer.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/649856=24361-Exhaust couplers OEM too short.jpg[/img]
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Scott I didn't mean to refer to my post as the manifold you need but only where to find less expensive manifolds. I don't know if it is or isn't the part you need. Rick is the person to listen to when it comes to Volvo systems.

Let it be known I know very little about volvos as a brand in its self. So my post was only as an example of where to find them. Go to the link and search his ebay store for the one you need.

Don't know Volvos but I do however know mercs, inboards, boats and chevy engines. Sorry if I confused you.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

Dave, the link that you posted is dead on! Those are the manifolds and risers that he needs.

At $420, that's not bad at all.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

This is the kit I found and planned to get but was confused by the dealer that is pulling and reinstalling the engines. He wanted to supply them at a much higher price.

Comment

When looking at manifolds, be sure to compare shipping costs. They can be high if they're coming from the oposite coast.

Comment

Rick,

When you were talking about the rubber couplers being too short, Was that just Volvo? My 1989 cobra 350 is getting new risers. Do I need longer rubber on Osco risers?

Comment

ssanderson69 wrote:
                  This is the kit I found and planned to get but was confused by the dealer that is pulling and reinstalling the engines. He wanted to supply them at a much higher price.
                  Scott, I can understand that the shop/dealer wants to M/U the price of the exhaust.

Can't say as I blame them.

However, part of their job is to fully define the work scope that they are going to provide, and to fully answer any questions that you have.

As said, any exhaust manifold manufacturer that makes this AQ 225/AQ 260 exhaust manifold, will be making the same footprint casting.

IOW, this is one manifold where an Osco will fit onto a Barr or Volvo Penta OEM manifold and visa-versa.

There should be ZERO confusion on this, IMO.

Scott, this is definitely unsolicited..... but if this shop can't be clear on a simple set of exhaust manifolds, what else will they NOT be clear on??????

Examples:

Are they pullig the F/C's with the engines, or are they leaving them attached to the shields?

If pulling them w/ the engines, and re-installing w/ the engines, do they know about the inboard rubber cushions?

Did they mark the engine mounts as to location so that re-alignment is not required?

Do they know how to perform initial alignment with an AQ series V-8 if these were not marked?

Do they know the importance of pre-filling the PDS grease cavity and spinning the PDS while doing so?

How about bearings/seals (6206, 6007, 35X62X7mm) do they know that these can come from a bearing supplier, and not V/P?

Do they know about gluing the FWD seal in place, and that the AFT seal installs in an un-conventional direction?

How about the OEM exhaust couplers posing an issue?

Just say'n.......... ask questions up front. If they can't answer them, well.................................

Patrick53 wrote:
                  Rick, When you were talking about the rubber couplers being too short, Was that just Volvo? My 1989 cobra 350 is getting new risers. Do I need longer rubber on Osco risers?
                  Yes, just the models that use the manifold that Scott needs...... 1979 thru 1993.

You have to be very careful that the coupler (hose) doesn't become depressed into the scallopped areas.

If you slide them further up the riser, then you need to be concerned with how much is grabbing onto the Y-pipe.

Again, I don't why but I can tell you that most that I have seen and used have been too short.

Scott, this is the exhaust manifold and riser that will NOT work with your Y-pipe.

The down-angle and outlet OD is incorrect.

You must use this style..................

.... so that the riser is the correct OD and that it aligns with the Y-pipe as shown below.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Patrick53 wrote:
                    Rick,

When you were talking about the rubber couplers being too short, Was that just Volvo? My 1989 cobra 350 is getting new risers. Do I need longer rubber on Osco risers?
                    Only if you're planning on going to a center riser system. If you're using the replacement log style manifolds, the old couplers will fit as intended.

Comment

Patrick53 wrote:
                      ................ My 1989 cobra 350 is getting new risers.
                      I think that Patrick is replacing risers only.

However Patrick....., if you are replacing the entire set, I would suggest going with the center-rise manifold and riser, and do what it requires to make them fit the Y-pipe!

There is a kit available.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

My boat already has the center style, not log, risers. But yes, I will be replacing the manifolds and risers with new Osco brand.I was just curious about the fit of the rubber coupler. I may buy new ones just because.

Comment

Patrick53 wrote:
                          My boat already has the center style, not log, risers. But yes, I will be replacing the manifolds and risers with new Osco brand.I was just curious about the fit of the rubber coupler. I may buy new ones just because.
                          Patrick, buying new couplers would be a good idea. It may be that yours have been hot at one time, and may be blistered a bit or have gotten hard.

But I don't think that it would be necessary due to being too short as with the AQ225/260. That seems to be unique to that AQ series V-8.

At least not to my knowledge, anyway.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                          X