Thinking about buying 1988 BayLiner 2855 a few questions-gctid393547

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about buying 1988 BayLiner 2855 a few questions-gctid393547

Before I get to far into it I want to say if this is the wrong place don't shoot new forums are always different. I have done a lot of searching on here and found a lot of good information but I don't think it was exactly what I am looking for so I decided to just start this thread. Once again if it is in the wrong area I am sorry!!!

On to the boat here is the low down. The person who owned this boat took it in to get motor redone the place took the motor out and outboard and low and behold I guess they left it outside because they both got stolen. So they paid the customer for there losses and now they have the boat with no motor or outboard they are selling for pennies. Everything else on the boat is in great shape so I think for the 800$ they are selling just the boat for it is worth it.

I am more or less just looking to see what some opinions are or if it is even worth to undertake as a project. I have searched and I still do not really know what my motor options are and everything.

I know I am forgetting a lot I will add it as I think of it but I am going to take a look at it tomorrow anything I should look for? I have seen a few pictures of it and it did not look like it was in too bad of shape.

Just to add I am by no means a boat pro I have grew up with boats owned a couple small ones but this is the biggest one I have looked at so excuse my lack of knowledge or my thread in which I look like a complete newbie (even though I am)

Greetings!

I have concerns about that story. I would consider the fact that they got the engine and drive off and found serious structural problems- rot perhaps? Maybe they sold the engine and drive and are scrapping the rest.

Just a theory.... I am suspicious by nature, triple that for boat issues.

Good luck.

Comment

Brad 3055 wrote:
      Greetings!

I have concerns about that story. I would consider the fact that they got the engine and drive off and found serious structural problems- rot perhaps? Maybe they sold the engine and drive and are scrapping the rest.

Just a theory.... I am suspicious by nature, triple that for boat issues.

Good luck.
      Well I was thinking a little bit along them lines but the place that has it now is NOT the place that originally had it. The place that has it now bought it from the other place and mostly sells boats with either blown up motors or missing motors. Almost all of there boats are fixer uppers.

But you might be on to something.

Comment

check the transom and stringers for rot. should be real easy without the engine and drive. i replaced both on my boat a few years ago, not a real hard job but put that ontop of finding a engine drive combo and i think i would pass even if the boat was free.

Comment

I just did something similar. I bought a boat that ended up needing a motor and a transom. I did the transom work myself. I spent about two weeks and about $600. The work wasn't that hard and the info is all available online. I got a reman Michigan motors 5.7. Cost was $2600. My guess is if you do a lot of the work yourself you could get thing together for $5k-$6k. That's about what I am in for and I'm pretty frugal.

Greg

Comment

These kinds of deals only work if you can do the work yourself, and get a good deal on a used, or low cost new engine. The 88 boat is fully depreciated, and it's market value for low retail is $6600. That is the price it would sell for if it was in modest condition, with no extras. In good to very good condition it would be worth $7500. So, if you pay $800 for it, you have $5800 to get all the stuff you need to put it right, and that includes NO labor. If you can get a whole used engine and drive combo for $4k, and figure $500 for BS stuff, you are ahead. If you have to start paying labor, this is gonna disappear quick.

First question, is the 2855 the kind of boat you want, or are you looking at it because you can get it super cheap? Next, if it's the type of boat you want, go for it. The 260-280HP Merc with Alpha I gen 2 drive are fairly easy to find, so you will have some choices. If you want to go bigger, to a 7.4L, with a Bravo drive it's gonna get more costly.

The last question is - why have two boat yards with access to materials passed on refurbing this boat?

Comment

Cheap and free boats are the most expensive!

I don't think we have yet seen a happy story on this forum about a torn-apart cheap boat going back together well and saving the buyer money. It always turns into wasted money. On older boats you always encounter problems you couldn't predict, everything in marine time takes twice as long as expected, and twice as much money.

The ONLY way this is good is if you do 90% of the work yourself AND you consider this fun work. Otherwise just go earn more money and buy a better boat to start with.

Comment

What he said...

There used to be an expression in the boating world called 'Buying the Whole Romance'. It means buying a boat or starting a boat project with stars in your eyes, a head full of fanatsies and few bucks in the pocket. Buying the Whole Romance always leads to a nasty breakup and divorce. The buyer always winds up poorer but wiser.

Don't let that be you.

Comment

I almost bought the same boat about 15 years ago. This is a big boat, great layout but it had a single drive this boat needed twins. The engine a 460 with a King Cobra, while I like the Cobra drives very durable, last a long time the 460 would be a deal breaker for me. This boat is going to need a big block with a DP or a B3 drive, not a cheap set up which ever way you go. If I was doing this as a long term project twin 5.7 and DP or BR3 would realy give you a great boat but you would never get your material costs back. Maybe a nice diesel in this economy would be better.

Ken
                  300SD all options sold.

Comment

Last year I got my own boat back on the water after sitting a long time. All I really needed to do was rering the engine and go through every system, replace fuel fill hoses, batteries, some wiring issues etc.

By the time I was done I had spent $3,000 on little parts.

Your boat is going to need a lot of little parts, plus an engine, plus an outdrive. I would guess even doing all the work yourself you are going to spend about $7,500 and a dozen weekends. Is it worth it? You tell me...

Comment

Working...
                    X