Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMC Cobra to SEI Outdrive Conversion-gctid393449

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OMC Cobra to SEI Outdrive Conversion-gctid393449

    I have a 1988 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 28.5 Put a rebuilt Jasper 350 CI engine in it 2 years ago. Engine runs great but can not keep the outdrive shifting and pumping water. Am considering the SEI conversion Kit. Anyone have any experience with this ?

    Jim

    #2
    jerseyj1m wrote:
    I have a 1988 Bayliner Ciera Sunbridge 28.5 Put a rebuilt Jasper 350 CI engine in it 2 years ago. Engine runs great but can not keep the outdrive shifting and pumping water. Am considering the SEI conversion Kit. Anyone have any experience with this ?
    Jim, the SEI is a Dog Clutch drive similar to what you now have. You must retain the ESA if this drive is used.

    Just so you know, the Volvo Penta SX cone clutch drive is also a candidate for this conversion (as is the DP-S).

    Not quite as cheap as the SEI would be, but you'd have no more Dog Clutch engagement, no more ESA to deal with, and you'll have an engine mounted sea water pump.

    You could find a good used drive for this, and then purchase the conversion kit.

    .
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

    Comment


      #3
      I feel your pain. I had an OMC Cobra on my last boat. All I can say is I'm on my second season with my SEI replacement drive and it has been flawless to date.

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Rick & dewman. I will probably go with the SEI plan since dewman had good experience doing so. Is there anyone reading this thread who had a negative experience with SEI ?

        Comment


          #5
          Apparently the SEI drives are holding up OK. I've not used one.

          For the price, they sure appear to be desireable.

          Don't forget the cost of the kit.

          As said, the Volvo Penta will cost more, but you'll get to do completely away with the ESA, eliminate one shift cable, and will have the smooth gear engagement of the cone clutch.

          Here is a new 1.51:1 SX drive on e-Bay.

          Here is a reman'd DP-SM from Doug Russell.

          You may be able to find a good used SX for considerably less money.

          .
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

          Comment


            #6
            Jim, I bought a SEI drive years ago and did not have good luck with it - leaked, gear backlash was incorrect so it ground itself to death.

            Now this was when SEI first started up and only had a 6 month warranty (or was it 1 year?)

            Anyway, they replaced the unit and it still only lasted less than 2 years, when I would drain the oil, it had LOTS of filings in it.

            My understanding is they are better now - backlash is set better and they have a 2 year warranty now, so I cannot speak about them now.

            I went with a factory Merc drive and have not had any problems since - the Merc drive has about 400 hours now and no filings / leaks / noise, etc.

            Comment


              #7
              Jeff H wrote:
              Jim, I bought a SEI drive years ago and did not have good luck with it - leaked, gear backlash was incorrect so it ground itself to death.

              Now this was when SEI first started up and only had a 6 month warranty (or was it 1 year?)

              Anyway, they replaced the unit and it still only lasted less than 2 years, when I would drain the oil, it had LOTS of filings in it.

              My understanding is they are better now - backlash is set better and they have a 2 year warranty now, so I cannot speak about them now.

              I went with a factory Merc drive and have not had any problems since - the Merc drive has about 400 hours now and no filings / leaks / noise, etc.
              From the SEI website today...... and no I'm not on the payroll, but I think Rick gets a kickback from Volvo

              SEI's drives come standard with a three-year, fault-free warranty. This means that the unit is covered for any failure that requires the drive to be repaired or replaced. Run it without lubrication, crash into a stump, suck up some fishing line, it does not matter, the SEI drive is always covered. SEI believes this warranty is one of the best warranties ever offered for a stern drive or a outboard lower unit. Peace of mind while on the water is important, and SEI goes the extra distance to make sure that our products perform.

              Comment


                #8
                dewman wrote:
                From the SEI website today...... and no I'm not on the payroll, but I think Rick gets a kickback from Volvo

                SEI's drives come standard with a three-year, fault-free warranty. This means that the unit is covered for any failure that requires the drive to be repaired or replaced. Run it without lubrication, crash into a stump, suck up some fishing line, it does not matter, the SEI drive is always covered. SEI believes this warranty is one of the best warranties ever offered for a stern drive or a outboard lower unit. Peace of mind while on the water is important, and SEI goes the extra distance to make sure that our products perform.
                Your first point is brilliant.

                I knew they had a two year don't care what happens we will replace but was not aware that they had gone to a three year, that's impressive. A new drive or a used drive, I would go with the new drive, just for the warranty.

                Ken
                300SD all options sold.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yes, most would go with the SEI if they are OK with the DC and ESA, and/or if they've not previously experienced cone clutch gear engagement.

                  It certainly saves quite a bit of money.

                  And Dewman......, no.... I do not receive any kick-backs. But I sure wish that I did! :coo-

                  .
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Have decided to go with the SEI conversion. Appreciate the info. If I was going to keep the boat forever would go with Ricks suggestion. Want to get it going with as much confidence that the boat is as right as any of them are. Sell to its next slave and start getting another boat the way I want it to be. Smoothe sailing to all.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X