Head Pump Does Not Work-gctid393235

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Pump Does Not Work-gctid393235

I just launched my 1996 2858 for the season. I checked to see if the head was working and discovered that the pump does not want to draw in seawater. I checked, and the sea cock is open. I filled the bowl with water and was able to pump it dry, but could not get any water to pump in to the bowl.

This is a manual pump system. It has never given me any trouble and was working fine when the boat was hauled out last September.

Just starting my trouble shooting. Any ideas?

Thanks.

JD

Maybe something is plugging the seacock?

Seacock, that's a funny name.

Comment

Assuming it's a manual pump, they DO take a lot of pumps to prime sometimes.

There is a maintenance kit you can buy that has all the usual replacement parts. If that hasn't been done in a while you may want to try that next.

Comment

After about a half dozen disassemblies and assemblies of the pump on my Jabsco head, including the purchase of a rebuild kit for around $50, I bought a whole new pump assembly that installed in about 20 minutes for $65 on Amazon. Head problems eliminated!

Jabsco 29040-3000 Marine Manual Marine Toilet Pump Assembly Kit (29090- Series)

Comment

What's going on with these Jabsco units. I had the same problem last season, rebuilt, rebuilt and then replaced the whole unit and it worked. Now I have the same problem again this year. Dang things. Does everybody have this problem. New toilet every other year? Rebuilding doesn't work. I'm ready to put a shop vac on the pump cylinder.

Can someone tell me if the toilet on a 1999 Ciera 2655 is above or below the water line. If below I'll need a vented loop. Maybe the PO put in a new unit without the factory vent loop???
          1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
          1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
          1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
          2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
          Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
          South Bay Marina

Comment

I have the same problem every couple of years and it is always the spring on the one flapper rusts away, replace the spring and its good to go!:go-

Comment

I used to have the same problem on my old boat. At the start of the year I would take off the pump turn it upside down and with the handle all the way out I would put a big blob of vaseline as far up as I could and spread it around.

This would make a tight seal and the pump would prime no problem and would last the whole season most of the time.

Every spring I expect to have to do it to my current boat, been lucky so far....

Comment

when we got our 3888 from the P.O.. we got in the deal 80 gallons of solidified crap.. it bogged the pipes and ours wouldnt work.. you need to flush out the pipes, could be something stuck in the pipe near the seacock intake area.. we had to flush the system and fill it with tons of tank stuff and go drive it like a madman to shake it up so we could pump.. its been working ever since.......

we also have a rule now.. nothing down the toidy but waste.. all paper gets put in a special bin and thrown away each trip... makes it easier until we can change out all the lines this year... no fun being out to sea and the potty dont wanna flush... :eek

Comment

OK, thanks for the replies/advice. Looks like I will spend this weekend taking the pump apart.

Comment

FWIW - I have all but given up on using my pump to suck water into the bowl. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I find it's easier to use the sink to add water to the bowl. I also have a plastic 1 gallon milk container.

We don't spend enough time on the boat each season to make the purchase of a $50 rebuild kit worth it when I can simply add the water with the bucket or from the sink.

Comment

The cup method works for me and the Admiral just sends me in after her. But when we are entertaining, that just doesn't work. The spring is fine, as are the other internals, but I have not used the Vaseline. So, that's my next fix attempt.
                      1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
                      1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
                      1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
                      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
                      Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
                      South Bay Marina

Comment

Im going to lube mine with vaseline too.

My pump works, but it does have alot of friction and it does dribble a little.

Comment

try putting 1/2 cup of cooking oil in head and then pumping.

Comment

I use this stuff from Wallyworld on a regular basis.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

I constantly flush out my holding tanks with fresh water, weekly if I can.

Marine heads, any of them (ours are Vacuuflush) have a mind of their own and must be worshipped and tended with great care.

Cutting down on marine toilet paper use is also helpful in keeping things running. Multiple flutings at the same 'sitting' and heavy on the flush.

We live on our boat for 3+ months every year, we have dedicated a lot of time to keeping our heads in perfect working order. No working head is a trip stopper, back to home to our mechanic. We carry a spare macerator pump, Vaseline the seals etc.

Had to change out my fresh water pump yesterday-another trip stopper-and put in a new shower sump pump!

Machog
                            1996 4087 Lazy Days
                            2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                            2011 Porsche Cayman
                            2010 Lexus IS 250C
                            2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

OK, now I took the pump handle apart and can't get it back together. Does anyone know where I can find diagrams of marine heads to see if I can figure this out? I think I have a Jabsco toilet, but the name is worn off the unit (1996 Cierra 2858 if that helps). The part I am having trouble with is the little plastic form, about an inch long, that is moved back and forth by the "water in/water out" switch. It fell out when I took the pump handle off and I can't figure out exactly how it goes back in.

Thanks in advance.

JD

Comment

Working...
                              X