Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent Starting Issue - Clicking sound and Starter Doesn(39)t Engage-gctid393066

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silly question here, but did you check the condition of the batteries?

Weak battery, corroded wires, and corroded connections will cause click clicks, especially when you have all three combined.

Comment

love2speed wrote:
      Hey Guy's

I was at the boat on the weekend and the only solenoid looking thing I found was located on the front starboard side of the engine. It was on top of the red reset switch with 4 leads ontop and 2 leads underneath into the reset switch . I cleaned the lead as well as located the main ground and cleaned that too. The contacts and leads were all corrosion free and still had the anti-corrosive black spray on them?

This did not resolve the problem.

So I'm wondering

1. Did I locate the correct solenoid

2. Is it still possible the solenoid is internally corroded
      Sounds like you do have the solenoid. It should have a plastic spark guard think on the front that nyou have to pull off to cleans the exterior contacts.

And yes it is most likley the interior contacts are corroded. You will need to buy a new solenoid about $20.00 bucks give or take.

Comment

Hey Guy's, the good news is that it was a great weekend where I am, and it made for awesome boating. The bad news is that after changing the solenoid and cleaning all the connections and applying dialectic grease, the intermittent starting problem persists.

For $30 I didn't mind, but I now I'm stumped. I was starting to lean towards the battery, but I tried starting with batteries selector switch to 'All", figuring that 2 combined should give me plenty of power, but the problem remains.

Again, after a few rapid turns of the key it goes?

Thought??

Comment

green650 wrote:
          Silly question here, but did you check the condition of the batteries?

Weak battery, corroded wires, and corroded connections will cause click clicks, especially when you have all three combined.
          +1, I also had this issue with a loose ground, tightened it up, worked for a few days, then happened again, had the battery laod tested and it was shot. Replaced the battery, resolved the problem.

Also - could a loose ignition switch cause this? Or would you not get any juice at all? Just wondering.

Joey
          2007 Discovery 246
          5.0L MPI BRAVO III
          The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

joeydiver wrote:
            +1, I also had this issue with a loose ground, tightened it up, worked for a few days, then happened again, had the battery laod tested and it was shot. Replaced the battery, resolved the problem.

Also - could a loose ignition switch cause this? Or would you not get any juice at all? Just wondering.

Joey
            Hey Folks I would also like to move towards changing the battery as a next step, but again, if the switch selector is set to "All" and it's still not starting wouldn't that rule out a bad battery. You would think juice from 2 batteries would be ample?

Comment

love2speed wrote:
              Hey Folks I would also like to move towards changing the battery as a next step, but again, if the switch selector is set to "All" and it's still not starting wouldn't that rule out a bad battery. You would think juice from 2 batteries would be ample?
              Don't over-look a bad MBSS.

The contacts may be weak, or may have over-heated once before.

FYI: I've found that the 90* sweep battery selector switches have smaller contacts.
              Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

Interesting I didn't think of the switch, aren't they sealed and hopefully free from corrosion?

Comment

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Hi All, I can not count how many times I read that a bad ground is a common cause of this problem. I took this to mean that a bad ground is caused by corroded leads so I cleaned them all and assumed that was the end of that trouble shooting process.

Well please take note that a bad ground is not just a corroded connection, the cause of my starting issue was from a small lead from my battery charger that was installed under the main ground on the battery, this must have prevented the main ground from getting the connection it needed.

Anyway I put the main ground on the battery terminal first then the small lead on top and bingo, problem solved.

Thanks for all those who offered suggestions.

Happy 2012 Boating

Comment

:coo-
                    Rick E. (aka RicardoMarine) Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Please, no PMs. Ask your questions on forum.

Comment

Well I think I'm into a new/rebuilt starter after all, after 10 or more starts with no intermittent clicking issues as per my previous update, it's come back to haunt me.

Cycle the key and I get a click, cycle rapidly & repeatedly it eventual starts, how many more times who know, should I risk waiting until haul out in the fall?

Comment

Have you removed the starter and cleaned up all connections?

Comment

no this is my next step, but is it advisable to go into the unit and try to clean it up/fix it or at that point i would think it's better to just get it rebuilt?

Comment

I read through this thread and while it was touched on, did you check the end of the ground cable where it attaches to the engine? THAT is one of the most common culprits. It's often overlooked in the cleaning process.
                            Aquatic Muse
                            Mount Vernon, WA
                            MMSI: 367498870
                            '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Comment

I had the same problem and found it was the SLAVE solinoid. It is right behind the carb. Has a little plastic top you can remove. You can jumper with a screw drive and can be checked to see if it is faulty with a voltage meter. It is a make or break connection. $ 69.00 part and simple fix.

Comment

yup solenoid was replaced, not the problem, then I noticed the negative lead fro the battery charger was under the main negative lead on the battery terminal, I swapped it to the top and it started every time over the last 10 starts and now the problem is back.

and yes I checked the main ground to the engine, cleaned it up (even though it was not corroded), put dielectric grease, not the problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X