Cobra - Upper Gear Case Fill - Repairable?-gctid392783

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cobra - Upper Gear Case Fill - Repairable?-gctid392783

I was draining the fluid in my gearcase. To get air flow I intended on removing the upper fill screw. To loosen I tapped a screwdriver lightly with a hammer and the dang thing popped inside. :-( Does anyone know if this is a helicoil. It appeared to be so. Also is it replaceable?

Thanks,

Greg

I find that usually 99 percent of things are repairable, your results may vary.

Here is your worst case if you can't fix it :

http://www.marinepartshouse.com/prod...ssembly-p-1603
    " WET EVER "
    1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
    mmsi 338108404
    mmsi 338124956
    "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

After further examination, what broke was not a gear oil fill but rather a screw that I've read is the screw never to touch. :-( It actually has water behind it not oil. I plugged the hole with a fat washer and a bolt loaded up with 5200. I would like a better solution though as although its functional looks terrible.

Greg

Comment

I heard people had to take the outdrive off to get that piece out. Can it be left in there is the question?

Comment

Gennerally, the nut that fell into the water cavity can rattle around in there. But, it is posslible that it could get caught in the water outlet and obstruct the water flow. Best to fix it back to original by retrieving the nut and putting it back together with the correct seal.

Comment

Remove the outdrive and get the nut out and add a nut to the back side of the bolt was how mine was repaired by a guy who does OMC's all the time. So you have the right idea but still might want to consider to pull the outdrive to get the nut out and one on the back of the bolt. While at it replace the bellows at the same time is not a bad ideal.

Comment

Oh yeah we removed the bolt from inside. The out drive was off when it happened. Stupid fill screw. I should have known better. It was on the opposite side as the other two. :-)

On the bright side, my outdrive is shifting better than ever. I recommend the wiper and oring replacement on the shift rod if shifting takes a lot of effort.

Greg

Comment

Working...
              X