Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 2855 fuel consumption-gctid392622

Hi,

I have a Bayliner 2855, 2002 with an Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI, Bravo 3 (21P props).

It consumes about 18-20 gallons (depending on load) per hour at cruising speed 29 miles/hour.

Is that a normal fuel consumption?

Thanks,

/Robert

That sounds high to me, I don't burn anywhere near that, but I also don't push it that much either. My cruise speed is about 22-23 mph (3500 rpm)

I have the exact boat/engine you do and I figured my consumption to be at 10-12 GPH. I do not have a fuel meter, but these calculations are based on how many gallons, I put back in the tank, after several extended runs. Maybe you should try not pushing her so much.

Comment

RobertL wrote:
      Hi,

I have a Bayliner 2855, 2002 with an Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI, Bravo 3 (21P props).

It consumes about 18-20 gallons (depending on load) per hour at cruising speed 29 miles/hour.

Is that a normal fuel consumption?

Thanks,

/Robert
      So, about 2mpg at 29mph. I have a 246 with the same engine and get about 2.4mpg at 28mph. However, the 246 is quite a bit smaller than your 2855; probably lighter too.

So, yes, that is what it is going to burn.

Just out of curiosity, how many rpm's do you need to get the boat up to 29mph?
      2007 Discovery 246
      300mpi BIII
      Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

My opinion is the 350 has no business in a 2855. It actually doesn't surprise me that you are burning that much fuel. That's not a lot of engine to push that much boat.

I don't burn that much fuel in a carbureted 7.4L, but then again I don't push her that hard either.

That last 5 MPH is probably costing you most of the fuel.

Steve

Comment

706jim wrote:
          So, about 2mpg at 29mph. I have a 246 with the same engine and get about 2.4mpg at 28mph. However, the 246 is quite a bit smaller than your 2855; probably lighter too.

When ou look at it that way, you're right...he is getting the same milage I am, he's just pushing it more. If it like my boat he's up around 4000 rpm to maintain that speed. To high for long term cruising as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Seaquel wrote:
            That sounds high to me, I don't burn anywhere near that, but I also don't push it that much either. My cruise speed is about 22-23 mph (3500 rpm)

I have the exact boat/engine you do and I figured my consumption to be at 10-12 GPH. I do not have a fuel meter, but these calculations are based on how many gallons, I put back in the tank, after several extended runs. Maybe you should try not pushing her so much.
            + 1
            Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

We have the same boat and I typically run 3600-3800 RPM's in relatively calm water for 3-6 mile trips. That will put me at a speed of 25-27 mph by GPS with full canvas up and bottom paint. I'll average 1.8 mpg for the season.

An analysis by Boattest.com of this boat shows a fuel burn of 12 gph at 3500, 14.7 gallons at 4000, and 18.8 gallons at 4500. The speeds are 23.89, 31.2 and 35.3 mph respectively. My speeds are a little slower due to canvas and bottom paint I figure, but not too far off.

Paul
              2008 Rinker 330 EC
              Twin 350 MAG Bravo 3
              2007 285 (sold)
              350 Horizon Bravo 3

Comment

706jim wrote:

I need about 4200 rpm to keep her at 29 mph. Feels like I push her quite a lot.

I have found it hard to keep her in plane in lower speeds. But bought the boat 2 months ago so I have not been able to test so much.

Comment

That is the target rpm for cruising with my boat and motor combination?

I don┬┤t think I am able to hold her in plane at 23 mph.

Am am not using trim tabs (only for small side to side adjustments and to get her in plane with many passangers and load).

Have the sterndrive fully tilted in when I push her in plane and when I tilt out a bit (until it "feels right", the speed increase).

The prop pitch is 21P.

Comment

Seaquel wrote:

I will try to run at 23 mph. I think I have tried to go at lower speed but the fuel consumption was higer if I don┬┤t remember wrong. Guess the reason is that she don┬┤t plane enough. But I will try again.

Thanks

Comment

RobertL wrote:
                      That is the target rpm for cruising with my boat and motor combination?

I don┬┤t think I am able to hold her in plane at 23 mph.

Am am not using trim tabs (only for small side to side adjustments and to get her in plane with many passangers and load).

Have the sterndrive fully tilted in when I push her in plane and when I tilt out a bit (until it "feels right", the speed increase).

The prop pitch is 21P.
                      Yes, now obviously opinions will differ slightly, but I think that most would agree that having to run at 4200 all the time is not good. You should definitely be able to hold plane at 23 mph even without trim tab assist (assuming you have the drive all or most of the way in)

Couple of things:

What kind of load are we talking about, and are they all sitting in the back?

Have you checked the condition of the bottom and outdrive?

Both can make a hugh difference.

You mentioned you've only had the boat 2 weeks. Has it always been this waY?

Comment

Seaquel wrote:
                        Yes, now obviously opinions will differ slightly, but I think that most would agree that having to run at 4200 all the time is not good. You should definitely be able to hold plane at 23 mph even without trim tab assist (assuming you have the drive all or most of the way in)

Couple of things:

What kind of load are we talking about, and are they all sitting in the back?

Have you checked the condition of the bottom and outdrive?

Both can make a hugh difference.

You mentioned you've only had the boat 2 weeks. Has it always been this waY?
                        Last weekend we where 4 persons and one parrot on board. Normal packing for a weekend. Half fuel tank and full water tank. 2 persons sitting down stairs and to persons sitting in the back (including me, the driver).

I don┬┤t know what kind of bottom paint that is used. I live in Sweden, the preveous owner imported the boat from US at 2005. He had never changed the bottom paint and it have never shown any sign on grow on it.

I scrubbed the drive free from dirt before putting the boat into the water for 2 months ago.

Can it make a great differece in what kind of paint that is used?

Sorry, it should be 2 months rather whan 2 weeks. And yes, it has been the same all the time. Engine starts perfect, runns smooth and nice. I think the power is there. With 2 persons onboard I get her up in plane in 10 sec at full throttle, without assistance on trim tabs. Just the drive tilted full in.

Thanks for the support.

Comment

Well with two people in the cabin you should definitely have no problem holding plane at lower speeds. with 3 adults I can hold plane at 22, even less with a real light load. Seems like your performance should be better.

Comment

Seaquel wrote:
                            Well with two people in the cabin you should definitely have no problem holding plane at lower speeds. with 3 adults I can hold plane at 22, even less with a real light load. Seems like your performance should be better.
                            We will be boating this weekend so I will try different rpm:s/speeds e t c to see if I can find a more economical cruising speed. It might be that it will hold plane at lower speed than I remember, but maybe the consumption was higher at those speeds, with the drive angle I used during those tests.

Comment

I have the 2855 with a 7.4L BIII set up so I have no first hand knowledge of the 350 set up but I wonder if the 21 pitch props are factory spec for this boat? My BIII factory props are 24 pitch. Obviously the 7.4 has more torque than a 350 and maybe that's why the 21p on the 350 set up. Perhaps someone with the 350 can verify what factory pitch is?

At any rate, I agree that 4200RPM seems too high for a cruise speed of 23mph but that would relate to the 21p props. I come out of the hole very well with 2 on board, full gas, water and gear, cruise at 3200-3400RPM - speed 24-25MPH - burning 11-13gph depending on conditions, and average annual mileage of 1.8 mpg.

Comment

Working...
                              X