Stock Jetting Rochester 4MV 1708243 from 229CID 3.8L Crusader-gctid346594

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Jetting Rochester 4MV 1708243 from 229CID 3.8L Crusader-gctid346594

Hello to everyone .... looking for some help on this. Our 1984 bayliner 3270 comes equipped with the Crusader 3.8L 229CID with 4BBL Rochester 4MV carb (model # 17082403). Engine is rated at 185hp. This 4BBL carb was used on everything from Crusader back in the day from the 229CID 3.8L V6 all the way up to the 454CID V8. Different combinations of primary jets and rods, secondary rods and PP springs and air valve shafts made this carb very tuneable to match engine requirements and set up. I am faced with rebuilding or buying reman but for the life of me I cannot find any data on what the stock jetting setup would be for this carb on this particular engine. Most of the reman carbs I find on-line show some details but no specifics on standard jetting that would be included. The carb for a 454 would be set up completely different for the 229 wrt primary jetting, rods, secondary, etc.

Any help and support would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

In 45 years of messing with carbs. I never had to buy new jets. The Rochester is my all time favorite. I can't even begin to count how many i rebuilt.

The 3.8 is setup as a 4.3.

I will try to find out where you can go on the web to find the info you requested.

On a side note i did find years ago the public library has a site where you can pull up any book ever written and i did find one on the specs of Rochester carbs.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/R...QJet/index.htm

http://www.carburetion.com/quadrajet.asp

First link has what you need me thinks, good luck!
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thanks Chief ..... I too had found these links as well. Chocked full of information. I was hoping to find the specific set up for the carb on this engine - Crusader 3.8L 229CID with 4BBL Rochester 4MV carb (model # 17082403 (primary, secondary, etc) so that if I need to order a new one, I know what to look for wrt primary jets and rods, secondary rods and PP springs and air valve shafts.

Thanks again

Comment

I agree with the Chief in that the Q jet is a very good and extremely versatile carburetor. They have many little parts, and can be a bit of a pain to work on, which scares some people off, but properly set up they are about as good as carbs get.

I see the "Carbs Unlimited" site offers a couple of books on them (also available from Amazon.ca) "Rochester Carburetors", an HP publication by Doug Roe and Bill Fischer is very good. I had a copy but gave it to my son when I no longer thought I would need it. The specific information you want might not be in there, but even if not, it would be a very valuable reference book. I see they also offer a book by Cliff Ruggles. I hadn't seen that one, but it may be good as well.

Good hunting.

Comment

Working...
          X