Outdrive Install-gctid391316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdrive Install-gctid391316

I've read on this forum to keep the shift and drive in forward when installing the outdrive. Or at least I think I have.

In the manual it says: "13. Once the engine is aligned correctly, remove the tool and shift the drive into Neutral; making sure that the shift rod in the drive is also in the Neutral position. Coat the shift lever pin liberally with Triple Guard Grease"

It later says: "18. Raise the unit off of the holding fixture with your hoist and move it into position in front of the transom. Carefully slide the unit forward while guiding the driveshaft into the engine coupler and the drive over the mounting studs. Wiggle the propeller slightly once the shaft splines make contact with the coupler until they engage properly and then slide the unit all the way forward until the case mates with the pivot housing."

That's where I'm confused. If it's in neutral and you wiggle the prop, will it have any effect on the shaft? I'm only asking because I put the outdrive on last night and I think I may have misaligned the bell crank and the shift linkage. I put the the remote control all the way forward and pulled the shift lever on the outdrive all the way up. I did not check to see if it was in forward. I fear my shift linkage is above the bell crank. It was late last night and haven't had a chance to check yet. Fingers crossed.

I also did not put a thin layer of grease along the lip of the outdrive bellows. I will be removing now after reading the directions. :-) First time was for fun.

Also is triple guard grease bad for the shaft? I was using that to check the alignment.

Greg

wefivehodges wrote:
    It later says: "18. Raise the unit off of the holding fixture with your hoist and move it into position in front of the transom. Carefully slide the unit forward while guiding the driveshaft into the engine coupler and the drive over the mounting studs.

Wiggle the propeller slightly once the shaft splines make contact with the coupler until they engage properly and then slide the unit all the way forward until the case mates with the pivot housing."
    Greg, throughout the industry, any industry..... btw, we'll often see incorrect terminology and incorrect explanations being used.

Examples:
    • "in front of the transom", should actually read; "behind the transom".
    • "wiggle the propeller slightly.......... " would be a misnomer.

If the drive is in Neutral when installed, the dog clutch would not be engaged. So wiggling the propeller will have ZERO affect on the vertical shaft, of which would also have ZERO affect on the upper unit universal drive shaft, of which will NOT aid in aligning the drive coupler splines. Duh!

I guess it boils down to using our own common sense!

Bottom line.... if the drive is installed, and if you can engage both FWD and REV, and can also locate Neutral, you should be OK.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

wefivehodges wrote:
      I've read on this forum to keep the shift and drive in forward when installing the outdrive. Or at least I think I have.

In the manual it says: "13. Once the engine is aligned correctly, remove the tool and shift the drive into Neutral; making sure that the shift rod in the drive is also in the Neutral position. Coat the shift lever pin liberally with Triple Guard Grease"

It later says: "18. Raise the unit off of the holding fixture with your hoist and move it into position in front of the transom. Carefully slide the unit forward while guiding the driveshaft into the engine coupler and the drive over the mounting studs. Wiggle the propeller slightly once the shaft splines make contact with the coupler until they engage properly and then slide the unit all the way forward until the case mates with the pivot housing."

That's where I'm confused. If it's in neutral and you wiggle the prop, will it have any effect on the shaft? I'm only asking because I put the outdrive on last night and I think I may have misaligned the bell crank and the shift linkage. I put the the remote control all the way forward and pulled the shift lever on the outdrive all the way up. I did not check to see if it was in forward. I fear my shift linkage is above the bell crank. It was late last night and haven't had a chance to check yet. Fingers crossed.

I also did not put a thin layer of grease along the lip of the outdrive bellows. I will be removing now after reading the directions. :-) First time was for fun.

Also is triple guard grease bad for the shaft? I was using that to check the alignment.

Greg
      In neutral, there won't be any effect, no. When you put the two halves together, you should have been able to see until the last moment whether or not the shift linkage on the gimbal meets up with the little "V" notch on the drive. Be gentle when you test to see if it's aligned, and if not pull the drive and do it again with the controls and drive in neutral, and with enough light to see what you're doing :c)

Triple guard will be fine on the shaft, it's just to prevent corrosion between the two and facilitate installation/removal. You just don't want a ton of it to cause a problem.

Comment

Thanks guys. My shift and bell crank are not lined up. :-(. I'm going to pull it apart now.

I was crazy and used adhesive m on the gasket. The manual has that stuff on just about everything. It's just a mess to deal with. :-(

Greg

Comment

Greg. I didn't see a mention of which outdrive you have. If it's a Bravo or Blackhawk, you indeed have to be in nuetral to remove and reninstall the unit. If you have an Alpha drive, the shift lever has to be in forward gear for removal and installation. If it is an Alpha, ensure that the outdrive is also in forward gear, and keep light pressure on the prop when reinstalling the unit. Turning the prop counterclockwise will take it out of gear, and you'll have to start over again. Turning the prop clockwise a wee bit will turn the shaft, helping the splines to line up. Yes, having 4 arms while doing this really does help!
          Bob Hawes.
          Kelowna, B.C.
          1998 Trophy 2052 WA
          4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

Hi Bob,

My outdrive is a Cobra. Sorry. I got it on today. I know think I need to clean out some crud in the shifter rod. Everything was smooth until the outdrive went on. I tried to shift the outdrive by hand while it was out and I had a hard time moving it. :-)

There aren't many parts left to replace now.

Greg

Comment

wefivehodges wrote:

Greg
              Ahhhhh, you have jinxed yourself now and will feel the wrath of the old boat gods!

Comment

wefivehodges wrote:
                Hi Bob,

My outdrive is a Cobra. Sorry. I got it on today. I know think I need to clean out some crud in the shifter rod. Everything was smooth until the outdrive went on. I tried to shift the outdrive by hand while it was out and I had a hard time moving it. :-)

Greg
                The drive does not shift very easily when you try it by hand because all the moving parts are stationary. If you turn the input shaft while you try shifting it, you will get a different result. Now, by not reading the manual and installing it while in forward (that's for Mercruisers, not OMC's,) you may have bent either the shift bellcrank or the shift rod on the drive. Hopefully not...... BTW, you won't find any "crud" internally on the shift rod. One last thing....if you bent the shift rod, you might as well replace that little seal where it enters the drive....

Comment

Working...
                X