Replacing steering cable-gctid757411

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing steering cable-gctid757411

I ordered the complete kit" helm and cable.

How is the cable supported under the gunwales? All of the original zip tie type of supports are breaking and there's very little space to reach up in the gunwales.

Has anyone else done this?
    1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser
    Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Si-tex ADF, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
    2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

None of the You Tube videos I've found show a stern drive. So, how do I remove this bolt?

There's no nut, just a cotter key, which I removed. But I can't get a grip on the head to remove this bolt and I can't just push it up from the bottom. I gave it a blast of rust breaker and called it a day.

1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser

Comment

I suggest you exhaust all non destructive attempts to get the pin out but if that fails below is what I would do for a pin that is rusted in.

I's hard to say by looking at the photo but it looks to me like if it's rusted in there you may have to drill it out carefully from above. If so start with a small pilot hole drilled dead center and exactly square to the shaft. Work your way up through the drill bit sizes and stop before the bore size gets big enough to damage the bore of the steering shaft. I would put an old blanket under it to collect all the cuttings. Another alternative would be to use an angle grinder to take the top of the pins head off then use a punch and hammer to drive the remains of the pin out through the bottom.

Make sure there is no other way to get it out before destroying it.

Good luck.

Jeff

Comment

Find a big nut that will slip over the head and then try to squeeze the pin out with some big pliers or a clamp, if you can move it a little you┬┤ll be able to grap the head of the pin with a pair of pliers and then twist it out.

Good luck
        1995 Bayliner 2452
        Alpha 1 Gen II
        2016 - 5.7 Vortec 4BBL
        Full Closed Cooling

Comment

I don't think it's rusted in place, but it feels like there's pressure on it from the cable. I can get a hammer under it, but only have about 2 inches, so the hammer doesn't do much. I'm going to try vise grips. Maybe an easy-out as a last resort. Had to order a new helm and cable kit, so I have a few days to get this done.
          1998 Capri 1950CL
          3 Liter MerCruiser

Comment

Yea it's rusted in place big time! Lots of PB blaster or equivalent on the pin let it set for a good while. Next day try some light tapping & twisting on it. If that's not successful then use some heat from a propane torch (10-20 seconds or so) then hit it with some water. That'll usually break the rust bond and you'll likely make some progress removing it
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Follow up. I put up with it as long as I could and finally took the boat out of service to get the job done. By accident, I noticed that it the drive is tilted up the clevis pin is more accessible and there's less pressure on it. One tap with a drift and it was out. I had previously used an angle grinder to cut off the head.
              1998 Capri 1950CL
              3 Liter MerCruiser

Comment

Working...
              X