No announcement yet.

Rebuild Costs? Need Help! (Volvo 290A V8 Gas Engine - AKA 350 Chev)-gctid391165

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild Costs? Need Help! (Volvo 290A V8 Gas Engine - AKA 350 Chev)-gctid391165

Background: Spent lots on a new top, paint, interior cushions, and countless other smaller items this spring and of course my slip rental for the summer.

It hasn't started since last year when it was sent to the shop for winterizing and port riser gasket replacement (Slight leak).

This year it would not start so I assumed it was fuel issue. Checked the filter and it was dirty and filled 25% with crud. Problem solved I thought.

Well, I just got in from changing the filter located in the Carburator. Thought that was the problem when I was getting spark but no start or it would start but stall with in 4-5 seconds.

Used the accelerator pump on the carb to get it running and it stayed running for 30 seconds but lots of white smoke.

Opened the valve cover cap and the oil I could see was not looking right and there was condensation on the inside of the fill cap in my hand.

Checked the dipstick, Damn Milky White.

I am no mechanic by anybody's definition, so I can only assume a cracked head.

My questions for the more knowledgeable that may read this post are:

1. It is a 28 year old engine, Worth rebuilding? Not sure on how many hours it has on it.

2. Did the shop do something wrong when winterizing it? I would guess this would be an up hill battle to prove and how do you determine that?

3. Where would one buy a replacement engine that would match the existing set up?

Any and all responses would be GREATLY appreciated.

If you have not already passed the point of allowing for good forensics, do your due diligence by documenting the known conditions prior to when you started the engine up.

Is this a raw water cooled engine... or is it fitted with a Closed Cooling system?

If RWC, where were the engine drain plugs when you went to fire the engine up?

Had the Circ Pump suction hose been removed for draining?

Were the exhaust manifold drain plugs removed?

Did the shop attempt to use antifreeze for winterizing a RWC engine?

IOW....., what all was drained and how?

Robert2150 wrote:

1. It is a 28 year old engine, Worth rebuilding? Not sure on how many hours it has on it.

2. Did the shop do something wrong when winterizing it? I would guess this would be an up hill battle to prove and how do you determine that?

3. Where would one buy a replacement engine that would match the existing set up?
    1. IMO, not if Raw Water Cooled.... and in particular if it has ever been in salt water.

You're only a few hundred dollars away from a good automotive core that has seen only Ethylene Glycol coolant.

If you go a few years later, you can go with a single rear main seal style.

If you go even further, you can do a roller cam engine.

Watch out for the light cylinder head castings..... and make darn certain that you select a piston and cylinder head combination that compliments one another in terms of the correct Static C/R.

2. See my opening comments!

3. Any SBC built for Marine purpose can be made to work.

If you go with a post '87, single rear main seal engine, the 153 tooth flywheel needs to be sourced.

MichiganMotors can set you up with what you need.... in brand new and/or re-manufactured.

Give Roger or Loren a phone call, and let them know that you were informed by the BOC.

Loren is active on this forum.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

and make sure you get a good stroker crank, way better bottom end...just my 2 cents,

Comment

Working...
      X